Sign in to follow this  
Cato

People with low IQs tend to be social conservatives.

Conservatism and stupidity go together like feminism and underarm dreadlocks.

Edited by Yves

Guest JAG

Intelligence just makes a person a more clever devil. It has no bearing on morality.

Edited by JAG

Not too surprising being the long standing relationship between education and social conservatism. Still, If it's not an April fools joke (good catch Becky), I'd like to see what measures their using. Also how their measuring prejudice.

Considering it was posted back in January three years ago, I doubt it.

The article was not a joke. AFA posting such a tone-deaf piece of relatively bad science almost certainly is :P

I'm by no means a Liberal, but this honesty doesn't surprise me. Most of those people who opening put "Conservative" as their political views on Facebook don't seem to know a lot about certain things or don't try to think outside the box. My 25 year old sister is in this category. She's a very bright person, but she doesn't seem to try to think for herself on politics.

But most of the people who identify as "Democrat Party" on Facebook seem to fall in that category. I have the most respect for people who don't put their political views on their Facebook profile.

But what is a "social conservative"? Someone who's against same-sex marriage? How would you guys define social conservative?

Says the dodo bird to the lemming: I bet you voted for Romney.

I actually read the article. A lot of it seemed to be about racism. And it's no surprise that racists have a lower IQ. The article didn't seem as shocking as I thought it would be.

I actually read the article. A lot of it seemed to be about racism. And it's no surprise that racists have a lower IQ. The article didn't seem as shocking as I thought it would be.

Good point. 

I will venture that it is easy to be both permitting and authoritarian in social terms. It is so easy to say that something like pre-marital sex is always permissible or it is always prohibited and wash one's hands of it. I am forever a student of Socrates' discussions about determinate justice at the beginning of Republic.

Edited by Wesker

No one is going to argue with the study's mode of quantifying intelligence?

I'm having a hard time finding it, in truth. Looks like they were looking at previously gathered data but depending on the measure thats not too bad. IQ is pretty stable after 9. 

No one is going to argue with the study's mode of quantifying intelligence?

I'm having a hard time finding it, in truth. Looks like they were looking at previously gathered data but depending on the measure thats not too bad. IQ is pretty stable after 9. 

I am with Chris on this. Sorry, Ashley. IQ tests a very specific type of abstract intelligence. Some types of intelligence are incredibly hard to measure on a standardized test. So, for example, I graduated with a 4.0 GPA, during five years of study, but my GRE scores are not commensurable with that. What about the greatest literature writers of human history? I wonder how these brilliant giants would measure up on a standardized IQ test. 

I get that. And I understand as well as anyone what IQ tests are and where they fall short. I'm just not sure what better metric you would use for something like this.

Guest Mike Spero

Wow, I forget April fools actually exists, so it gets me every time.

Bah. I think anyone brainless enough to throw themselves trustingly into a method of thinking like "conservative" or "liberal" already has a high chance of low intelligence. That being said, I only think the title is missing "and liberals"

See article, this is how you piss people off xp

That being said, I only think the title is missing "and liberals"

Posh. At least conservatives and liberals know how to recognize a team sport when they see one. It's the independents who are out of touch with reality <3

Guest Mike Spero

Posh. At least conservatives and liberals know how to recognize a team sport when they see one. It's the independents who are out of touch with reality <3

Nah, us independents were just hipster before it was uncool to be hipster <3

Edited by Mike Spero