Sign in to follow this  
Ghid

Osama bin Laden Memorial Library

US intelligence officials have released hundreds of letters, books, and other documents taken from Osama bin Laden’s compound in Pakistan when US Navy SEALs killed him in 2011.  

He was encouraged by the Arab Spring, writing, "These are gigantic events that will eventually engulf most of the Muslim world, will free the Muslim land from American hegemony, ...

Many Americans would like to agree with and hope for that possibility.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreign-Policy/2015/0520/Osama-bin-Laden-To-the-end-obsessed-with-America?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=CTE_052015&utm_campaign=20_Daily_News_Briefing&cmpid=ema%3Anws%3ADaily%2520News%2520Briefing%2520%2805-21-2015%29

No..just..no. That man was a awful person but a sinner like all of us.

I don't understand this comment at all.

I don't think these needed to be public information.

Couldn't it inspire further acts of terrorism?

I don't think these needed to be public information.

Couldn't it inspire further acts of terrorism?

That is an interesting idea, but academics, who study this stuff, must have have been waiting in line to read it. If the CIA did not release the information, it would become the subject of a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.

One of my Muslim friends thinks that so called victory mosques are a major source of jihadist inspiration. For example, the 911 Museum in New York City might be a victory mosque, a location where jihadists can celebrate a victory for Islam.

Another one is the Red Castle Museum in Tripoli, Libya. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Castle_Museum

The museum houses the mast of the USS Philadelphia, a ship that ran aground in Tripoli Harbor during the Barbary Wars. The picture in the Wikipedia article appears to include the mast, but it is not mentioned in the article.  During the Iraq War, intelligence officials in Iraq found the bodies of men from Tripoli, who had been radicalized by an imam, who used the mast as a victory mosque.

:)

Jihadist Recruiting

Did I mention that academic professor types luuu..ve to study crazy people.

One bunch of academics is the Brookings Institution. I don’t know much about them, but I know they have been studying crazy people sense at least the 1930’s. My great grandmother’s stack of books had some Brookings books about Japan from back when Manchuria, Korea, and Taiwan were part of Japan. So Brookings has a long history of “let’s talk about crazy people.”

Recently the Brookings bunch talked to Aiden Dean, who has been a senior member of Al Qaeda and confidant of Osama bin Laden as well as a British spy in Bosnia and Afghanistan?

Dean says that logical prospects for jihadist recruiting are men with religious guilt and a sense of victim hood.

The jihadists look for young Muslims, who believe that they are not sufficiently pious. That has a scary ring to it because I know Christian young men who worry about their piety.

Then the recruiter convinces the potential jihadists that the West is waging a war against Islam.

The potential recruit develops a persecution complex because he is a Muslim, he withdraws from society, and he eventually comes to believe that he is superior to those surrounding him.

The suspect, who police killed in a recent incident in Boston, must have been a victim of this process.

Dean says, “When you take people and put them in training camps to become fighters and jihadists and you pump into their mind the idea that they are going to fight against apostate regimes, it is a natural evolution that they will end up with higher levels of hate and anger against their own societies and against the world in general.

“With his spiritual ascension," the recruit sees "everyone else as nothing but pigs and cows. And that unleashes the psychopath within in order for him to go and slaughter people without any remorse whatsoever.” 

The jihadists deliver the message through social media. They have attracted 70,000 fighters. and  4,000 sympathizers operating networks dealing in the exchange of food, vehicles, oil, pharmaceuticals, etc.

Here is an example of academics studying (mostly) sane people in an attempt to deal with the crazy people.

These academics call themselves the Interdisciplinary Center. They are located in Israel, but they are somehow connected with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

The academics called more than 2000 random Saudi phone numbers and talked to 506 Saudis. The Arabic speaking callers asked the Saudis to name Saudi Arabia's main adversary.

53% said Iran

22% said Islamic State 

18%  said Israel

The questioners told respondents that they worked for the Interdisciplinary Center, but they did not say they were Israeli.  

The researchers called the results completely unexpected. Nobody thought that the Sunnis in Saudi Arabia would fear the the Shiites in Iran more than they fear Jews in Israel.

http://news.yahoo.com/survey-saudis-consider-iran-top-enemy-not-israel-171434290.html

Guest JAG

Here is an example of academics studying (mostly) sane people in an attempt to deal with the crazy people.

These academics call themselves the Interdisciplinary Center. They are located in Israel, but they are somehow connected with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

The academics called more than 2000 random Saudi phone numbers and talked to 506 Saudis. The Arabic speaking callers asked the Saudis to name Saudi Arabia's main adversary.

53% said Iran

22% said Islamic State 

18%  said Israel

The questioners told respondents that they worked for the Interdisciplinary Center, but they did not say they were Israeli.  

The researchers called the results completely unexpected. Nobody thought that the Sunnis in Saudi Arabia would fear the the Shiites in Iran more than they fear Jews in Israel.

http://news.yahoo.com/survey-saudis-consider-iran-top-enemy-not-israel-171434290.html

That is super interesting.

That is super interesting.

Yes, it is the sort of thing that could be a career interesting. 

But more specifically, since we (I think the we is Britain, France, Russia, and the United States) have been negotiating with Iran about the nuclear weapons, I have seen news articles about how the Middle Eastern countries think that we may give  away too much to Iran, so I'm not surprised at the result. The survey's result might even be Israeli propaganda.

Holy moly Red Rider, I'm such a cynic.  :)