T.O.W.R.

RPG Planning Thread

^^Thank you, I'm glad you like her. :)  And now, the fusillade of questions:

Do we have full background stories for the victims?  When writing Kimiko's bio, I started picturing Rex Landon as being a bit like Forrest Fenn--not necessarily including any hidden treasure, but personality-wise, i.e., a man who has lived lots of adventures, and sometimes speaks in riddles and/or has an element of mystery (and maybe mischief) in his background.  I hope that doesn't conflict with his established background, if he has one. :)

Also, I'm thinking that forensics reports on at least some of the victims might be out by now, so I'm wondering about a few things:

Murder Weapon:

I'm no expert, but I think forensics would be able to tell at least roughly what sort of weapon it is by the shape of the stab wounds. E.g., if it is double-edged (like a dagger), the wound would exhibit cutting damage on both sides.  If it's single-edged (such as a kitchen knife or K-Bar type tactical knife), there would be cutting damage only on one side of the wound, and I'm guessing it might be easier to tell if the killer is right- or left-handed.  If it's piercing-only (icepick, screwdriver), there wouldn't be a lot of cutting damage, and they might even be able to tell if the business end was a sharp point (icepick) or not (screwdriver).  If the weapon is a bit exotic (like a push dagger or a kris blade, they might be able to get some evidence of that from the wounds as well.  I'm thinking that a piercing-only weapon would be unlikely, since the killer would need the victims to bleed out quickly so they wouldn't have time to call for help.

Handedness of the killer:

Unless the killer is ambidextrous, Mysterious (i.e., not an ordinary human), or the murder weapon is a thrown knife or other projectile that the killer has thus far recovered each time, I think there would probably be clues to the handedness of the killer in the angles of the entry wounds.  From the teaser, one of the victims was probably struck from above while she was sleeping (Margaret Reynolds), two of them probably sneaked up on and struck from behind (Rex Landon and Dee Dee Holmes), while George was apparently struck from the front after a struggle.  The ones attacked from behind would have entry wounds on the opposite sides of their throats from George's.  Since George appears to have deflected an initial strike with his right arm (the gash), I'm betting on a left-handed killer (though the forensic team would have better evidence to go on than I do :) ).

The Nature of George's Break:

The forensics team would probably have gained some information from the way that George's hand was broken.  For example, if the hand was broken by being hit by something, the bones would have broken away from the direction of impact.  If it was broken because George swung a really good punch and either hit the killer's lantern jaw or missed and hit the lockers, the breaks would be due to compression force rather than shear force, and would probably look different depending on which.

Signs of Breaking and Entering:

Two of the victims were killed in their homes.  Any signs of breaking and entering?  Broken windows, picked door locks, etc?

It's up to you if you want to answer these here, or PM them to players with official investigator characters. :)

TOWR, if you want, Esme can be given a report with the forensic findings, so she can have something to share with Dillon when she arrives.  Since he's staying with his father, it seems a bit more likely that he came alone, so that he wouldn't be either imposing a stranger on his father's hospitality and making his new partner a third wheel in the family home, or dumping Esme off to find herself a hotel room while he stays with dad, an "I've got mine" scenario.  I'm thinking it would be kinda cool if she has just been assigned to the case, so that she can arrive in Wintervale and introduce herself to Dillon as his new partner.

Also: Everybody else with a Ring (the victims) were all residents of Wintervale.  Would it make more sense with the backstory for Kimiko to be the one with the Ring rather than Esme?  If so, I can change their bios accordingly.  Possible twist: Rex could have given Kimiko his ring the last time she saw him before his death.  He could have given her a cryptic warning, or perhaps a bit of senility got in his way, so that he gave it to her remembering only that it was important to give it to her (or not have it on his person anymore) but not why, and not realizing at the time (due to memory fail) that he was putting her in danger.

I'll be writing up forensic reports soon. I had actually thought up some of the stuff, but I hadn't thought a lot of it out so I didn't put it as a priority.

@Logos. Esme can have the ring. As long as it ties to Wintervale in some way, she can have it. I can also edit the first post so that Esme can show up later than Dillon and we can go through that whole conversation.

Because I feel it would be confusing otherwise, I'm going to also write up the full back story behind the rings and why they are so valuable to the person (or persons) trying to take them. I wanted it to be a surprise, but you guys need to know so that you don't unintentionally step out of line. I'll also write up a Bio for the murder victims and I'll be sure to collaborate with the people who are connected to them.

For now though, just have fun getting your starting posts up.

I'll be writing up forensic reports soon. I had actually thought up some of the stuff, but I hadn't thought a lot of it out so I didn't put it as a priority.

If you want to shoot me a PM, we can go over the med-examiner-y stuff so it's all consistent :) 

Since Zabby has expressed a degree of interest in a Star Wars game...

STAR WARS GAME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

...and I didn't want to mess up the Wintervale OT thread with discussion of such things, I figured it would be better to put it here.

One idea I have kicking around in my head is a game set aboard a Republic Acclamator Transport during the events of Revenge of the Sith.  The ship is engaged in what was thought to be a mop-up operation of a small Separatist base, except it turns out there is a whole droid factory there.  The ship's complement of Clone Troopers and senior Jedi are in the process of being overrun, when Order 66 is given.  The Clones turn on the Jedi, but they are not able to mount an effective attack because they are still engaged with Separatist forces.  The Jedi (at least, those who are PC's ;) ) are able to escape back to the ship, which retreats from the planet.  Any Clone Troopers aboard the ship were few enough in number to be overwhelmed by the ship's crew.

At first they think that the Separatists found some way to make Clones go berzerk, but then they find out the awful truth.  Loyal to the Republic, the Captain and crew refuse to serve Palpatine's new Empire and turn their Jedi over for extermination.  Instead, they start a one ship guerrilla campaign, hoping to stir resistance against the new regime, and restore the Republic.

I was thinking that this ship might be something like a "Jedi Academy ship," with an emphasis on training Jedi under real battle conditions (but with "easier" missions), so it would have more Apprentices, Padawans, and maybe Younglings than a normal combat warship.  This is kindof guessing that more/most players would like to play younger, more teenager-y Jedi, with a smaller number of Knights, and maybe 1 Master or 2 at the most.  If most of the ship's Jedi complement are youths, that would add to the crew's refusal to turn them over to some child-killing armored weirdo calling himself 'Darth Vader.' ;)  This game could also offer the opportunity for people to play fighter pilots, ship's crew, spies, commandos, etc. (basically, anybody who'd be stationed on a warship), so it wouldn't have to be "all about the Jedi."  Smugglers, bounty hunters, and other "underworld" characters could join as well; the idea being, to create a unified setting and story line that makes it possible for players to RP any of the classic Star Wars character types.

The other idea would be more of a formal Jedi Academy, basically "Jedi High School/Junior High School," set during the Clone Wars or some other period where there's opportunities for action, but Jedi aren't on the run and being hunted.

Thoughts?

STAR WARRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss

Honestly I love it, but I doubt we could scrape enough players together to keep it going. 

If I could be a young fairly cluless Jedi I'd bite. 

I have characters I can use for it its just I'm not super duper versed in Star Wars lore. 

Ash, you can be a force-sensitive person we find along the way who knows very little of jedi!

I could do that. I'm not that concerned that they actually be Jedi (and I say they because I have two... a sort of brains/brawn troublesome pair haha) but its just whenever we start wars games I just feel unable to keep up with the lore. 

Dun worry about it. We're totally off script at this point. I will try hard not to bring in any of the canon I know because it's all shifting anyway. 

Mhm. I'd skate around it a bit by making them two characters that don't exactly know what they are (or at least one doesn't) the other might but wouldn't say. Both would be humanoid-ish aliens. One possibly a hyrid. Teens. 

The hybrid would be the one who would probably be force sensitive but my big-guy would be a force to be reconed with in his own right.... although generally nonviolent. 

So yea.... basically two characters that could fit well into a "Jedi school" type enviroment. XD

Also, if Star Wars rp doesn't happen (because I full accept not everyone gets as excited about this as I do) I'm totally behind Murder of Crows or any other idea that sounds fun. 

I've been keeping up with T.K.'s game on my days off, and I'm really encouraged by how many people have gotten involved. It'd be great to ride that wave and get another game going. I'd be interested in a Star Wars game if we could explore a more urban than galactic setting. Sci-fi rps get hard to keep up with if the game world is huge. And A Murder of Crows looked so awesome.

Edited by C. Ingram

MoC might have to wait until we catch the Wintervale Killer, since it's kinda made to be a big, sprawling thing with lots of characters and multiple plots running.  It might be possible to change it up to have a narrower focus, but that would be contingent on people having an interest in doing so. :)  Otherwise, I think as long as the RP Section is basically the same crew of people who have been here for the long haul, we might as well adopt a higher tolerance for "game necromancy."  Back when there was lots of players and player turnover, restarting a game that "died" months ago was a bad thing because most players hadn't heard of it and wouldn't want to read through multi-pages of background to catch up.  In the present situation, it's pretty much the same crew, all with fond memories and characters they like playing.

WRT Star Wars, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by a more "urban" setting rather than Galactic.  Do you mean, something like a Jedi Academy setting where the characters don't travel much?

Another option (given a small number of interested players with time): maybe we could create the SW game as a "chamber orchestra," so to speak.  Instead of crafting a game so that it'll work with a dozen characters (the way we usually do), center the story on a small group (of Jedi, or smugglers, or bounty hunters, whatever) working or traveling together.  Assume 3-4 players and maybe 1-2 characters each.

Show of hands for interested Star Wars players: does everyone want to do Jedi (so it could be a Jedi-focused story), or is there interest in different character types?  So, if everybody wanted to be a Jedi, we could have it be something like a small group of Jedi (a teacher and some students) leave the Temple on a training mission aboard a small ship.  Shortly after their departure, Order 66 comes down, and now they're hunted and on the run.  If people want different character types ("But I don't want to be a Jedi!"), we could go with the renegade warship idea, or maybe "a couple Jedi take up with some smugglers."  Like Star Wars might have been if there'd been no Rebel Alliance, and Luke, Obi-Wan, and Leia ended up as members of Han Solo's crew.

By urban, I'm thinking a city block in Coruscant sort of thing. But I'd be up for a single nomadic group on a ship. I played a game a loooong time ago that tried to do a massive game world with players controlling individual ships all the way up to factions. It was really fun when you had well-read players with a lot of time and inventiveness, but there was so much reading. It got so individual players were sort of playing multiple stand alone games with the gmod.

All that said, it seems like the nomadic group is overdone in sci-fi -- it might be fun to explore something more static travel-wise. I don't know if there'd be a lot of interest in it, but a SW game with political thriller elements would be a unique perspective. But I'm 110% behind whatever we decide to do.

I'd be up for a Jedi-focused story. *raises hand*

Hey, if anyone is still interested in talking about roleplays. I just want to say that a lot of our members are looking into a different website. Here is a group we've made there. If you want to join the group, make an account on the site, request to join the group, and just alert me or Marley that you've requested and what username you've made.