Ghid

The Caliphate

You know this news article is nearly 6 months old, right? 

Yes, I was actually reading the one about United Airlines refusing to serve soda to the Muslim passenger.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2015/0531/No-can-of-Coke-for-Muslim-woman-American-Islamic-backlash-simmers.-video?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=CTE_052715&utm_campaign=New%20Campaign&cmpid=ema%3Anws%3ADaily%2520News%2520Briefing%2520%2806-01-2015%29

I decided to look for a picture of the very, hairy Imam Baghdadi, the self-appointed Caliph of Islam. Turns out that he does not pose often for pictures. 

As long as I am thinking about this, I could also say that the lack of an official caliph is a major irritant in the jihadist world.

The first caliph was Abu Bakr, Muhammad's father in law.  The last one must have been Mehmed (Muhammed) V (1909–1918). The Wikipedia articles lists some caliphs after him, but I have seen videos of Osama bin Laden in which he complains about the tragedy of 1918, which I take to be fact that the Ottoman Empire split up after World War I.

So, I'm guessing that among jihadist, terrorist types, Mehmed could have been the last caliph.

The desire to serve the caliph motives jihadists.

Edited by Ghid

Life in the Islamic State

According to General Hawk Carlisle, commander of Air Combat Command aircraft, flown by the coalition fighting the Islamic State, have conducted 4,200 strikes during which they dropped 14,000 weapons. I read somewhere that most sorties don't drop weapons so the 4,200 strikes must represent at least 8000 sorties. A stortie is one aircraft to the target an back.

The general believes the strikes have killed about 13,000 enemy fighters, which would represent about 19% of the Islamic States foreign recruits.. US Deputy Security of State Anthony Blinken recently put the number at 10,000 Islamic State members killed in nine months.

The coalition has destroyed more than 1,000 vehicles and 50 improvised explosive device factories,

An air strike in the Iraqi town of Hawijah completely levelled one of the Islamic State group's largest car bomb factories, causing heavy casualties and extensive destruction The blast caused by the strike and the destruction of explosive material was heard as far as Kirkuk, a city under Kurdish control that lies 34 miles away. The facility stored tanks, Humvees and large quantities of explosives. 

The Islamic Stae has made vehicle bombs, in some cases huge trucks packed with explosives, a central feature of its military tactics. In military jargon they are known as VBIED (vehicle-born improvised explosive device).

The Islamic State supports itself by selling oil. The coalition has destroyed 90% its oil collection and refining capacity.

Target selection must be an ongoing process, which happens at Hurlburt Field, Florida. Recently they used social media posts by the insurgent group to track the location of an Islamic State group headquarters building. Twenty-two hours later, three joint direct attack munitions destroyed the target,  

General Carlisle said, "[Analysts were] combing through social media and they see some moron standing at this command and [he was] in some social media, open forum, bragging about command and control capabilities for Da'esh, (Arabic acronym for Islamic State) So they do some work, long story short, about 22 hours later through that very building, three JDAMS take that entire building out. Through social media. It was a post on social media. Bombs on target in 22 hours.”

JDAM is military jargon for Joint Direct Attack Munition, which according to Wikipedia is a conventional bomb that can be guided to the target because it has been retrofitted with a guidance system.

One interesting thing about this sort of thing is that military operations can go on for months before in a short period of time the opposition collapses. The Taliban collapsed overnight in Afghanistan. I read somewhere about how Apache opposition collapsed after decades of opposition.

:)