Zabby

Who killed Contemporary Christian Music?

<3 I'm a sucker for 4 part harmony.

The ones you posted aren't bad. Owl City and Selah did covers of In Christ Alone and they were beautiful.

Personally I love christian music, just not all of it.

Like, Skillet, Fireflight, Lecrae, Tedashii, TobyMac, Building429, Tenth Avenue North, and Sidewalk Prophets are all great artists.

However, I don't really like Chris Tomlin, Hillsong United, and those artists that every song they write it seems like repeat the same thing over and over again. Sure, I bet they are great people, and have nothing against them personally, but it isn't enjoyable to listen to an album that every song says "Your love" over and over again, if that makes sense. 

Personally I love christian music, just not all of it.

Like, Skillet, Fireflight, Lecrae, Tedashii, TobyMac, Building429, Tenth Avenue North, and Sidewalk Prophets are all great artists.

However, I don't really like Chris Tomlin, Hillsong United, and those artists that every song they write it seems like repeat the same thing over and over again. Sure, I bet they are great people, and have nothing against them personally, but it isn't enjoyable to listen to an album that every song says "Your love" over and over again, if that makes sense. 

Someone got me into Tenth Avenue North :)

I didn't like Lecrae that well, but I respect him.

I think I can definitely agree that CCM nowadays is lacking something. What is sad to me is to go to a concert and the CCM artists make jokes about hippie songs from their childhood, while the Christian rock artists talk about Jesus. And yet the CCMs are always calling the Christian rockers fake Christians.

I have a love-hate relationship with Christian radio. It seems like the bar has been taken down and thrown on the floor when it comes to music quality in CCM. THERE ARE SO MANY TERRIBLE NEW CHRISTIAN SONGS. I'm sitting here in my car going this is the crappiest song I have ever heard, WHY is it on the radio??

And the big problem is that the mainstream now comes to expect that of all Christian music. Literally so many people don't even recognize Christian artists as real musicians. Occasionally I'll talk to a nonbeliever who heard one of the few really amazing quality Christian songs, and they're like WOW I didn't know there was any Christian music that's actually any good!

Get your act together, CCM.

Edited by Owlfeathers

Evangelical christians wanting to buy anything labelled "christian" and talentless artists exploiting the christian title to promote their less than stellar bands.

Evangelical christians wanting to buy anything labelled "christian" and talentless artists exploiting the christian title to promote their less than stellar bands.

Way to label people in a bad way .-.

Way to label people in a bad way .-.

What he said happens, though.

Agreed. It seems like so many of the very contemporary Catholic songs sound just like love songs. For example, there's one verse that I know of that goes "And Heaven meets Earth like a sloppy wet kiss..." Sometimes I wonder if some of these musicians are praising God or singing about their dates.

Agreed. It seems like so many of the very contemporary Catholic songs sound just like love songs. For example, there's one verse that I know of that goes "And Heaven meets Earth like a sloppy wet kiss..." Sometimes I wonder if some of these musicians are praising God or singing about their dates.

Eh, if Matt Maher can sing this song about the Mass, I'm cool with Heaven meeting Earth like a sloppy wet kiss.

Eh, if Matt Maher can sing this song about the Mass, I'm cool with Heaven meeting Earth like a sloppy wet kiss.

Matt Maher actually isn't half bad in my opinion, and neither is Matt Redman. Bob Rice is okay. I have no problem with their songs in general, but I just don't think they're always appropriate for the Holy Mass. I don't hate the music these guys write. It's just not really my cup of tea. Then there's the likes of Marty Haughen, Dan Shuute and company. Marty's "Mass of Creation" is very hard to sit through.

Can that "sloppy wet kiss" b.s. just die already? God isn't a puppy, and Heaven and Earth aren't ever going to LICK each other.  Stupidest metaphor for anything ever. Anyone use that in real life? "Well, so and so met Johnny X like a sloppy wet kiss." O_o

I dunno. I think CCM died in the early 2000's, too young. Such a shame. I prefer artists who happen to be Christians that allude to God's love and mercy in a deep way, rather than the aforementioned cardboard malarkey.

Can that "sloppy wet kiss" b.s. just die already? God isn't a puppy, and Heaven and Earth aren't ever going to LICK each other.  Stupidest metaphor for anything ever. Anyone use that in real life? "Well, so and so met Johnny X like a sloppy wet kiss." O_o

I dunno. I think CCM died in the early 2000's, too young. Such a shame. I prefer artists who happen to be Christians that allude to God's love and mercy in a deep way, rather than the aforementioned cardboard malarkey.

So much this. I'll add to this: When was the last time you were convicted because of a song you heard on KLOVE?

I'll wait.

So much this. I'll add to this: When was the last time you were convicted because of a song you heard on KLOVE?

I'll wait.

I felt convicted about listening to KLOVE in the first place and turned it off. :P

Secular artist who have Christian themes in their music, or could possibly be interpreted as such, are way cooler.

Precious Declaration by Collective Soul.

Secular artist who have Christian themes in their music, or could possibly be interpreted as such, are way cooler.

Precious Declaration by Collective Soul.

I have to agree with this

it is this awesome surprise when it happens.

mewithoutYou.

You're my new best friend.

Don't get too excited. The iTunes genius in me had to recommend them. I've met them. They weren't polite at all, despite me bringing tons of proof that I've supported them for years.

I had their split single with Norma Jean straight from the Tooth and Nail warehouse. Unique copy. Rejected test presses. Absolutely huge fan. Totally unappreciative.