Sign in to follow this  
lauralei

Sex Trafficking

This topic is something that I've basically ignored for a while and now have run my head up against in a non-ignorable fashion. What do you all know about this subject? Particularly good sources of information, practical resources, laws pertaining to, etc.

Sex trafficking is obviously fundamentally linked to human trafficking, so it's good to get a broad overview of it all. 

• I do a lot of work for a charity called Love146, which aims to eradicate child trafficking and exploitation. Their website has lots of great information about how trafficking works internationally; I really recommend you check it out. 

• HumanTrafficking.org has every bit of information that you could possibly want on trafficking, types of trafficking and so on. It can be a little statistic heavy, but it's worth trawling through if you want the in-depth details. This is the place to go to find out about laws and stats.

• Stop the Traffik is a charity that's got quite a high profile in this area; I have personal reservations about them, but that aside, it's a decent place to head to look at the work that's being done worldwide. 

• A Heart for Justice is a Christian-based website that addresses human trafficking and, in particular, sex trafficking; I personally find it possibly one of the most irritating websites on the subject, but I included it for the sake of a broad perspective ;) they do have a  section where they list loads of websites on the subject which you might find helpful for research. 

• The UN etc. also release papers and stats on trafficking numbers - a quick Google should get you there. 

Some great films about trafficking (and no, I'm not going to suggest Taken ;) ):

• Half the Sky - ok, so not entirely about trafficking, but definitely worth watching; I think it puts the trafficking of women into the broader global context, and that's really helpful for understanding it better. 
  • Trading Women - narrated by Angelina Jolie, pretty rad. 
  • Call + Response - eh, I have mixed feelings on this one, but again, I'll include it for the sake of perspective.
  • Tricked - this is on Netflix. Found it quite hard to watch; kind of undecided on it.

I have more, but that should keep you going for a while. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about this!  

Half the Sky - ok, so not entirely about trafficking, but definitely worth watching; I think it puts the trafficking of women into the broader global context, and that's really helpful for understanding it better. 

I have a signed copy of the book from when I met Nicholas Kristof.  :)

I have a signed copy of the book from when I met Nicholas Kristof.  :)

Extremely jealous - would like to hear this story some day! 

Actually while I was doing a research report on China, I found that sex trafficking and child labor is still very much alive not only in THAT COUNTRY, but it still secretly goes on undercover in other countries which is awful...

When bae supports your endeavours <3

I vote Katy and Ethan as best pair of CTF friends this year for boardies..... like right now. 

But back on topic. 

Its a hard subject to be sure and a cause I'd like to get more involved in on a local level (wonder if Seattle has any 146 groups hmm). Hard to think how often it happens right here in the U.S. Thanks for the resources Katy. 

The city I live in (Phoenix Arizona) is considered one of the largest cities for Sex Trafficking in America. Pretty much the only thing to think about this topic is that it is sick, and a cruel business. One kid I know from my church was doing relief work by selling bracelets and using the money to help aid Charities fighting against Sex Trafficking.