Is Islam a bad religion?

Frigid

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is the main cause of terrorism the doctrine of Islam, or is it not related to the actual teachings of Islam.

• Islam creates terrorists
    • Islam does not create terrorists

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it is quite important to understand that radical groups are of course not the majority, and while it is absurd and obscene to label or stereotype Muslims as terrorists, there is also an unignorable problem with radicalization in Islamic culture. Of course this is perhaps mostly a result of poverty, war, oppression, etc.; but I think it wouldn't be true to say that Islam and its culture (the treatment of women and sectarian division among other things) doesn't play a role as well. Perhaps the question is, would Christianity be all that different were it the religion in similar circumstances? ;)

Islam does not have a monopoly on terrorism. 

Terrorism requires: 

• a disaffected individual 
  • like-minded group 
  • complicit community (increasingly virtual)
  • legitimising ideology, secular or religious; this ideology is a badge of identity, a source of legitimacy, or a determinant of action.

The fact that we live in a post-9/11 world colours so many people's perspectives of terrorism, but it's important to reject the misconception that Islam is the sole reason for terrorism. Does extreme Islam produce terrorists? Of course it does. There's plenty of evidence for that. But poverty, conflict, inequality, disillusionment with community etc. play equal roles. Religion is a factor, not a sole cause.  

Terrorism requires: 

• like-minded group 
  • legitimising ideology, secular or religious; this ideology is a badge of identity, a source of legitimacy, or a determinant of action.

The fact that we live in a post-9/11 world colours so many people's perspectives of terrorism, but it's important to reject the misconception that Islam is the sole reason for terrorism. Does extreme Islam produce terrorists? Of course it does. There's plenty of evidence for that. But poverty, conflict, inequality, disillusionment with community etc. play equal roles. Religion is a factor, not a sole cause.  

this

Terrorism requires: 

• like-minded group 

Beautifully said Ms. Katy ^_^

And I agree. 

Islam is an antithesis of Christianity.  Open up the Qur'an and read Sura 4 and 5 - take note at how unbelievably contradictory it is to Christ's commands.

From its birth, Islam has been like ISIS.  From Medina, to Mecca, to Tours and Turkey - Muslims raided and subjugated anyone who tried to stand against them.

Whereas Jesus healed the sick and gave Himself up for sinners - Muhammad slaughtered a great number of people (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banu_Qurayza)

It has, and will always be, a religion at enmity with both civilization and religion alike.

Here's some fun reading: http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Quotations_on_Islam_from_Notable_Non-Muslims

To answer the question directly - yes, in the strictest sense of the word 'terrorist' - Islam's fruits have always reflected it.

If you want to keep tabs on how Islam is affecting the world today, you can check on this website and cross references its accounts with news from time to time: http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/index.html#Attacks

Edited by JAG

On a more personal note, the ONLY person to have ever threaten to murder my loves ones and I, was a Muslim who sent us multiple death threats, photos of martyred Christians, and called us 'dogs.'  It got so bad I had to get the FBI involved.

Further, the ONLY person to have ever attacked my business was a muslim working for ISIS who took down two of my company's websites and replaced them with pro-ISIS propaganda.

Edited by JAG

On a more personal note, the ONLY person to have ever levied death threats against me and my loved ones was a Muslim who sent us multiple death threats, photos of martyred Christians, and called us 'dogs.'  It got so bad I had to get the FBI involved.

Further, the ONLY person to have ever attacked my business was a muslim working for ISIS who took down two of my company's websites and replaced them with pro-ISIS propaganda.

I just finished eating crackers and fruit salsa.

Your post and mine carry the exact same weight and relevance.

I just finished eating crackers and fruit salsa.

Your post and mine carry the exact same weight and relevance.

Call me the next time fruit salsa has to be stopped by the FBI from murdering you because you're a Christian.

Call me the next time crackers turn your place of business into propaganda for an organization that beheads people.

Don't turn these things into a joke.  One of the worst atrocities in Christian history was the Inquisition which saw, on average, 5 people executed a year.  ISIS has exterminated people faster than we can count (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/05/isis-fighters-are-killing-faster-than-statisticians-can-count.html) in the past couple years, and you have the audacity to belittle someone else's experience because it's not your own.

I'm glad you've never had a muslim email you graphic photos of crucified and martyred Christians, then tell you he's going to do the same to you simply because you share the faith.  Your time may be around the corner though - it's already come for thousands of our brothers and sisters in the Middle East.

Edited by JAG

Call me the next time fruit salsa has to be stopped by the FBI from murdering you because you're a Christian.

Call me the next time crackers turn your place of business into propaganda for an organization that beheads people.

Don't turn these things into a joke.  One of the worst atrocities in Christian history was the Inquisition which saw, on average, 5 people executed a year.  ISIS has already exterminated 170,000 people in the past couple years and you have the audacity to belittle someone else's experience because it's not your own.

I'm glad you've never had a muslim email you graphic photos of crucified and martyred Christians, then tell you he's going to do the same to you simply because you share the faith.  Your time may be around the corner though - it's already come for thousands of our brothers and sisters in the Middle East.

I do not believe Ethan is belittling your personal experience, but your vulgar extrapolation of the personal to the general.

I do not believe Ethan is belittling your personal experience, but your vulgar extrapolation of the personal to the general.

If you take my personal experience alone, you're correct.  But did you ignore my previous posting?  This isn't anything new.  For centuries Islam has been terrorizing people.  We live in a padded cage called the West, so we see very little of it - only instances like the Boston Bombing or 9/11, or like my personal experience, or occasionally an honor killing, but if you actually read history and you study what is going on in countries with high populations of Muslims, you'll see whoever it goes - carnage follows.

Have you heard of this book? http://www.examiner.com/article/as-muslim-population-grows-what-can-happen-to-a-society

If you take my personal experience alone, you're correct.  But did you ignore my previous posting?  This isn't anything new.  For centuries Islam has been terrorizing people.  We live in a padded cage called the West, so we see very little of it - only instances like the Boston Bombing or 9/11, or like my personal experience, or occasionally an honor killing, but if you actually read history and you study what is going on in countries with high populations of Muslims, you'll see whoever it goes - carnage follows.

Have you heard of this book? http://www.examiner.com/article/as-muslim-population-grows-what-can-happen-to-a-society

The thing is, that was also true of Christianity for the majority of its history. There is obviously a problem with Islamic fundamentalism in its reaction to modernity, but that is not the same as an essential problem. For much of the Middle Ages, it appears manifest to me that Islam was superior to Christianity in terms of tolerance and treatment of minorities. 

Edited by Wesker

I do agree with JAG, but I always have this dilemma that there is actually peaceful muslims.

And why should the peaceful ones suffer because the evil ones?

very difficult.

One of my best friends in high school was Muslim. I still, today, judge his strictly Muslim film festival at his Mosque as I'm a filmmaker myself.  You can still love them, you can still associate and be friendly to them.  My friend, though, doesn't believe in the Qur'an fully.  He isn't pro-chopping off the hands of the person who has stolen.  He's been neutered by Western civilization, and thank God for that.  Now if only I could get him to understand the difference between works based and faith based salvation, haha.

The thing is, that was also true of Christianity for the majority of its history. There is obviously a problem with Islamic fundamentalism in its reaction to modernity, but that is not the same as an essential problem. For much of the Middle Ages, it appears manifest to me that Islam was superior to Christianity in terms of tolerance and treatment of minorities. 

Wherever Christianity goes, usually we see industrialization, education (college universities were once run by the churches...along with most hospitals and adoption agencies), scientific advancement, and the end of social injustices such as slavery. 

Seriously, look at countries with majority populations of Muslim, then examine their social conditions vs. the social conditions of countries with majority populations of Christians...or even other religions/nonreligions.

One of my best friends in high school was Muslim. I still, today, judge his strictly Muslim film festival at his Mosque as I'm a filmmaker myself.  You can still love them, you can still associate and be friendly to them.  My friend, though, doesn't believe in the Qur'an fully.  He isn't pro-chopping off the hands of the person who has stolen.  He's been neutered by Western civilization, and thank God for that.  Now if only I could get him to understand the difference between works based and faith based salvation, haha.

ah that makes sense. I had a muslim friend online who lives in Canada, and she knew I was a Christian and said how either way God is great etc. and did not force her faith on me at all. Perhaps it is them being westernized.

Wherever Christianity goes, usually we see industrialization, education (college universities were once run by the churches...along with most hospitals and adoption agencies), scientific advancement, and the end of social injustices such as slavery. 

Seriously, look at countries with majority populations of Muslim, then examine their social conditions vs. the social conditions of countries with majority populations of Christians...or even other religions/nonreligions.

You are impossible to reason with James. You completely ignore the points that I have made and continue on with your talking points uninhibited.

Muslims also treat minorities very poorly, do not think for a moment they are good to the minorities within their country.

In the modern age this is true. However, in the Middle Ages there is much evidence to suggest that Muslim countries treated Jews significantly better than Christian Europe.