SwordMaiden

Romans 10:17

Romans 10:17 (NKJV)

17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God

Now oftentimes we read the scripture as a two stepped scripture.. To receive faith you're suppose to read the Bible and you should just be able to understand and believe everything perfectly? NO! What many people seem to do is realize that this is a THREE step scripture.

Faith comes from hearing

Hearing comes from what? *the word of God*

1. Faith comes

2. From hearing

3. The word of God

We oftentimes skip over that hearing part, but really it is one of the most important words in the scripture. It is the ACTION of the scripture.. It's how we receive faith through God's word.

But how to we hear God's word? By listening to it and obeying even when we don't understand it. It's tough in this world, especially when you're stuck in a situation that you think you're trapped in and you can't get out and you feel like the world is trying to suffocate you, but sometimes  you have to take a chance for God. It takes a lot, but it's so worth it. God will show himself to you if you just give him the chance. <3

I cannot make sense of what you are trying to say.

Sorry, I'm terrible at writing..

What I was trying to say is: whenever someone reads Romans10:17 it's common to for them to assume that if we read the Bible we should be able to have complete faith in God, but when that person reads the Bible they may feel encouraged, but they are still struggling with their faith. What I was saying is we have to put action to words, do more than just read them, we have to hear them. Then that's when we can begin to gain faith.

I suppose I am confused why you associate hearing with action, whereas reading (which is merely the visual other of hearing) is associated with passivity?

I suppose I am confused why you associate hearing with action, whereas reading (which is merely the visual other of hearing) is associated with passivity?

I think she's assuming a sense of hearing along the lines of heeding or listening with attention, which implies action follows.

I think she's assuming a sense of hearing along the lines of heeding or listening with attention, which implies action follows.

Yep, that's it =P sorry folks

Paul must have lived at a time when many people could not read. Books must have been too expensive for most people to own any at all. 

With that in mind, to know anything, people must have had to hear it rather than read it.

:)  :)

Well, me personality, I am a terrible reader and do not enjoy it. But I do enjoy reading the bible because its things that actually help me in life and things that actually real. I still have yet to read the entire bible because I stop at very many verses, and google them to look on websites which completely explain the meaning of them. I know god does not care as long as I understand. But I encourage you to do the same, if you're stuck on comprehending a verse, google it and there's many websites out there that specify each verse to explain exactly what they mean and how they apply to everyday life.

I think swordmaiden is right. Faith grows by heeding the word of God. Not just by hearing or reading it.