Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eva0mwah

the World and stuff

Let me be honest.

Sometimes I DO feel like worldy stuff can bring me pleasure and sometimes I DO feel jealously for non believers who do whatever they want to and follow their heart instead of waiting upon the Lord.My eyes decieves me and a little voice in my head says ''you will never be happy If you follow God,you will never have what you truly want and you will be in a constant battle where you will bleed to death ''

Does anyone has the same thoughs as I do?and if yes how do you handle it?Cause it makes me so sad to the point where I can't go to God and leave my burden to Him.

Rules suck, don't they?

Don't want to follow them? Don't.

But just know you're disappointing the Man Upstairs; and that's no good.

Edited by Lefebvre

I know them feels. But it's difficult to provide advice here because your not really giving specifics. What do you mean that you can't follow your heart and follow God? Do you mean in relationships? 

First off, you should remember that God doesn't want us to be unhappy. Sure, our first duty is to follow him and his teaching but this doesn't mean we can not have our own preferences and desires. Indeed, these can be quite Godly. I have a desire to travel, for example. You could argue hat setting aside a portion of my money and time to travel is not putting God first, but I would say that travel enriches my relationship with God by helping me to know him better through his creation. And then there are relationships. Sure, it's a bummer that certain things are forbidden (and that b/c of that a possibly good relationship could be lost) but that stems from a desire to love and be loved. That's human. And not in the bad way that people often smirk at when they say "human nature". You can find joy in the world while still following Christ. The simple company of good friends. Pursuing a hobby. These things are of God.  

Secondly, you may be putting too tight a reign on yourself. I've found this in myself during my undergrad years. I had a hard time with our local campus ministry and often felt ostracized. My senior year, I started hanging out more with are party-hardy Polo Team and going out and learning Country Swing with friends who were also Christian... but enjoyed a good time. 

And for a while I felt really guilty about it. I drank on the weekends and hung out in bars. I had given up on the bible studies. Did that make me a bad Christian? 

No. 

I was mindful of God's law (Was never drunk or making a show of myself), but I also was developing a new standard for what that meant in my life. I realized that a lot of what I was beating myself up for was really inconsequential. I realized too that a lot of what I was beating myself over for not being a good Christian was in reality me beating myself up for not liking who I was and being upset by having been "rejected" by the local Christian community. 

You gotta set your own boundaries and figure out your own path. Does that mean there are some lines that probably shouldn't be crossed? Sure. Search your heart honestly. Find ways to glorify God doing what you enjoy, don't worry so much about little slip ups or things that don't matter that much and allow yourself to be happy. 

Edited by Marley

Everyone has gotten those thoughts at least once in their lives. If anyone says otherwise, then they're just kidding themselves.

The only advice I could give is to keep moving forward and trusting in Him. I know it's hard to deal with temptation and even having that voice tell you that you should forget God. When that happens, try to remember all the times God has been there for you. Every time He picked you up, every time He helped you and every time He got you out of those dark places you never thought you'd get out of.

If you just think about how God has been there for you, you'll realise that you never wanna give up that relationship you have with Him. At least that's what I try to do, sorry if I'm of no help :P

Let me be honest.

Sometimes I DO feel like worldy stuff can bring me pleasure and sometimes I DO feel jealously for non believers who do whatever they want to and follow their heart instead of waiting upon the Lord.My eyes decieves me and a little voice in my head says ''you will never be happy If you follow God,you will never have what you truly want and you will be in a constant battle where you will bleed to death ''

Does anyone has the same thoughs as I do?and if yes how do you handle it?Cause it makes me so sad to the point where I can't go to God and leave my burden to Him.

I feel this!

wow

first of all I feel so relief that I am not the only one thinking that way.Being a university student,the temptations are many especially when you are alone and you had left so many things behind to follow Jesus.

I am praying that God fixed my eyes on Heaven and gives me wisdom not only to reach for Him and His glory but also to enjoy every detail of my life and seize every moment He is giving to me.

It is my desire to look and appreciate what I already have and enjoy the little things and not constantly thinking about what I WOULD have had.

I have some crazy things as a young person (traveling the whole world,leaving in the countryside,roadtrips etc) that sometimes I kinda think ''wait!does God want this?''.And somehow I believe the answer is always a striking ''NO'' and that lets me miserable.

Let me be honest.

In choosing to follow God you have been promised eternal life. With this is mind how can you never be happy following Him? Maybe think about that when you feel disappointed in not being able to partake in some of the activities that this world has to offer (: You're waiting for something better and something that will never end.

I tend to think that rules for me seem easy. I don’t think that people, who are not Christians, have more fun. For example, I have friends, whose families came from China, India, Iran or Vietnam, so I know by simple observation that other cultures have tighter control of their children’s behavior.

I don’t need to be told twice that things have a right and a wrong way to do things, but most rules have exceptions, and I think I can be flexible about the rules. For example, I have a driver’s license, but I am not allowed to have passengers unless I have an adult driver in the car. However, if someone needed a doctor immediately and I were the only driver, I would drive them to a hospital if necessary because that would be a reasonable exception. 

Sometimes I get in trouble because of the rules have a contradictory nature.

Dad gave me a credit card, and he told me that if I used it, I should tell him, so he could budget the money. Even more important, I should only use the card in emergencies.

I have only used the card once. I went to a movie with friends. That was a rule. I was never allowed to go anywhere by myself. 

Like I said, I went to the movies with friends. We went on a city bus. After the movie a homeless man approached us. My friends and I decided to buy him food. That is sort of true. More truthfully stated, I decided to use my credit card to buy the man’s food. I compounded the problem because I forgot to tell my Dad that I had spent the money.

So some weeks later, I was in my room doing homework, and I heard my dad’s voice. 

“Ghid!” The tone of the voice suggested that I was in trouble.

I love my dad, but I’m really kind of afraid of him. I know he won’t hurt me, but I hurt a lot when I disappoint him.

So I began with, “Yes, daddy,” as I sprinted to his office.

He asked, or more like he demanded as he waved the credit-card bill, “What is this ten dollar charge on your credit card.”

I said, “OMG; I’m so sorry. I forgot to tell you. I bought food for a homeless man.” I thought that was a reasonable explanation, but it only escalated Dad’s anger. 

“You what? You fed a homeless man? Do you know how dangerous …

I felt like I had to defend myself, so I interrupted him, which is another rule I broke, and I said, “OMG, but I only did what I have seen you do ….” I must have looked terrified because he looked at me like he had never seen me before and he asked, “Oh, are you going to cry?”

I know that sounds bizarre, but I almost never cry. When someone hurts me, I get angry. I plot my revenge. My shrink says that it has something to do with my lack of parental affection before I was adopted. In my laundry list of problems that my parents inherited with they adopted me, not crying even in the most extreme situations, was one of them.

So dad asked, “Are you going to cry?”

With all the defiance I could muster as I felt a tear from my cheek, and I said, “Yes!”

He smiled and said, “Well, Doctor Doogie,” That is the nickname for my shrink, “will be proud.”

Manipulative little me tried to switch from defiance to submission, but I heard my defiance.  “OMG, I just fed the homeless man just like you do.”

Lots of adults in my family feed homeless people just the way I did. 

My dad stopped waving the credit card bill. “Look sweetie, this is really my fault. I taught you to do this, but I want to you stop. Don’t feed homeless people unless you are with an adult.

Me being contrite, ”Yes sir.”

“And next time, remember to tell me that you spent my money.”

“Me being very contrite, “Yes sir, I’m really sorry, sir.”

Dad opened his arms, “Now give me a hug!”

Me feeling like I dodged a bullet, “Yes sir.” I love hugs.

:)  :)  :thumbup:

Let me be honest.

It's called temptation. I've been battling it for years myself, and it is hard. For me personally (IDK if this will help you or not) I found a good way of battling temptation is to find something of greater enjoyment than the temptation, and do that whenever you feel tempted. Like, whenever I'm tempted to do drugs or alcohol, I drive one of my R/C cars, or longboard, or if its winter pack up my snowboard and head up to Keystone. Heck, even listening to music helps me cope with temptation. Anything to get my mind off of that beer or crack helps.

The less active you are, the more bored you are, the easier it is to fall for temptation. So stay busy, and don't forget to pray too.

Edited by Hpi-guy

The less active you are, the more bored you are, the easier it is to fall for temptation. So stay busy, and don't forget to pray too.

I find that so true.A couple of years before I didn't have a hobby or I wasn't being active,so I spent my whole energy on thinking.My thoughts and temptetions were so heavy on me that I had terrible stomach pain because of sadness.This year I decided that I should fill my time with creativity and I am taking german lessons,hit the gym,studying even harder.I believe that God want us to be active in every way and enjoy what is given to us (our health,our free time,money etc) but we should be aware to put Him first and do everything in Jesus name.

Praying and staying on track with God is number 1.

Just sometimes I am too tempted to give up.When I lose my sight from Jesus and I look around I see that non believers don't struggle as I do,they follow their heart and most of the times everything goes great.

BUT like I said I must focus more on God than anything.

Edited by eva0mwah

You know, life doesn't have to all church and prayers all the time. God is always highest priority, but nothing is stopping you to pursue other interests, hobbies, etc. if you can manage it.

So long as nothing you do goes against the Word of God, and you take care not to neglect your spirit, you're fine. We are free to have a life outside of religion, indeed we are obligated to get the most out of life on earth.

God want us to be happy. Besides that, when unbelievers see Christians living happily and fruitfully, they see a reason to believe, because although not everyone believes in God or eternal life in heaven, everyone wants a happy and fruitful life on earth. Therefore, you live life to the fullest not only for yourself but also for God and your fellow men.

Just remember to put God above all else. Matthew 6:33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

(can't believe I typed all that out)

Let me be honest.

Yes, worldly things can and will bring us pleasure; a delicious meal, or doing something we enjoy to name a couple of things. While our lives should be dedicated to God, we need variety. You know, sometimes God wants us to follow our hearts. God gave us hearts for a reason, right? God speaks to us in the silence of our hearts, when things are quiet. Take time to listen to God. Do often when we pray, we do all the talking and ask God to show us what to do, yet we don't even give Him a chance to speak to us! Give God a chance to speak to you. Go, and sit somewhere silent. Close your eyes, focus on God and say to Him "Speak, Lord, for Your servant is listening."

I know how you feel. Satan does whatever he can to lead us away from God. There's a proverb that says the Devil will slip in a thousand lies to tell you one truth. No, we can't win this battle on earth. But, we aren't alone. God is helping us and with God at our side, we have absolutely nothing to fear. But, we find happiness by following God and obeying His Law. We will get what we truly want which is to go to Heaven. As St. Pio of Pietralcina said, "Pray, hope and don't worry." Do that; don't let up in prayer. Keep praying, keep your relationship with God strong and He will protect you from all evil.