Sign in to follow this  
slycooper

Earth Entering 'Mass Extinction Event'

Be genuinely interested to hear the thoughts of CTfers - seems like we don't talk about environmental issues all that much.

The Earth has entered a new period of extinction, a study by three US universities has concluded, and humans could be among the first casualties.

The report, led by the universities of Stanford, Princeton and Berkeley, said vertebrates were disappearing at a rate 114 times faster than normal.

The findings echo those in a report published by Duke University last year.

One of the new study's authors said: "We are now entering the sixth great mass extinction event."

The last such event was 65 million years ago, when dinosaurs were wiped out, in all likelihood by a large meteor hitting Earth.

"If it is allowed to continue, life would take many millions of years to recover and our species itself would likely disappear early on," said the lead author, Gerardo Ceballos.

Full story at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33209548

This is where I think, people need to start realizing what they are doing.

Cutting down all those trees is not just killing a wildlife home. Trees in rainforest are canopies to smaller plants to grow. When the trees are cut down, the animals do nto just go extinct, but the plants as well. And on top of that, as more plants go extinct, the environment is troubled as all plants balance out the carbon put into the air. Which there is so much pollution in some places now, when it rains it destroys trees and plants. Perhaps it is time for the world to start taking pollution problems and deforestation more seriously.

If this is stephen hawkings work. Well bollocks. Sure hes smart. But hes anti-god and hates God

If this is stephen hawkings work. Well bollocks. Sure hes smart. But hes anti-god and hates God

It tells you the author(s) in the small paragraph I noted ;-; Also who it is written by is fairly irrelevant once its passed through a peer reviewed journal.

Why would a physicist be involved...?

Anyway, environmental preservation remains a pressing issue people are unlikely to solve to anyone's satisfaction, and it's sad.

Edited by Chris-M

This is where I think, people need to start realizing what they are doing.

Cutting down all those trees is not just killing a wildlife home. Trees in rainforest are canopies to smaller plants to grow. When the trees are cut down, the animals do nto just go extinct, but the plants as well. And on top of that, as more plants go extinct, the environment is troubled as all plants balance out the carbon put into the air. Which there is so much pollution in some places now, when it rains it destroys trees and plants. Perhaps it is time for the world to start taking pollution problems and deforestation more seriously.

Deforestation, while indeed a major problem is only secondary to the absolutely ridiculous rate that we are combusting hydrocarbons. *grumble grumble grumble*

Does anyone believe in a real threat of human extinction or does your eschatological views sort of prohibit that notion? Be interested to know how people collaborate fairly doomsday scenarios with religion.

Does anyone believe in a real threat of human extinction or does your eschatological views sort of prohibit that notion? Be interested to know how people collaborate fairly doomsday scenarios with religion.

I do not think the human race itself will go extinct until Jesus comes, but maybe this could be his way of making it happen. I can't say for sure, as all we know is a second coming will happen.

I think this is quite a shame. What's also a shame is how many evangelical Christians will be denying all of this is real, or suggesting that it doesn't matter because Jesus is coming soon. I'm skeptical that the future is as catastrophic as some of the reports make it sound (simply because of the history of such things), but there's certainly a major problem to be addressed, especially for those of us who believe that the world and everything in it are God's good creation, given into our stewardship.

All that said, I'm equally afraid of what governments might do to take advantage of this crisis.

History is stranger than anyone ever thinks it will be. I don't discount the possibility of human extinction on eschatological grounds in the same way I don't discount evolution on the grounds of the Hebrew creation narrative.

I should add that I'm particularly skeptical of human extinction, partially because of eschatology (try as I might, I can't come up with any way that eschatology can make sense with human extinction) but also because in general I doubt doomsday scenarios. I particularly suspect that with 7 billion intelligent humans on the planet, it would be rather difficult for an event that falls short of global, catastrophic, geographical destruction to actually wipe us out.

Of course, this isn't to say we couldn't face a serious population drop or something. It still works eschatologically (goodness knows lots of people die in Revelation, regardless of the interpretation used), and overall seems more plausible than human extinction.

I think this is quite a shame. What's also a shame is how many evangelical Christians will be denying all of this is real, or suggesting that it doesn't matter because Jesus is coming soon. I'm skeptical that the future is as catastrophic as some of the reports make it sound (simply because of the history of such things), but there's certainly a major problem to be addressed, especially for those of us who believe that the world and everything in it are God's good creation, given into our stewardship.

All that said, I'm equally afraid of what governments might do to take advantage of this crisis.

These are my views (well, mostly), but it is my belief that the government has likely already taken advantage of the situation by subsidizing the green energy industry which is remarkably profitable and, compared to some more radical actions that could be taken to less emissions, incredibly inefficient. It isn't the case that we have to lessen emissions, either, it's the case that we have to stop emissions which would shut down a great deal of profit making institutions which is something that the money driven bureaucracy could not allow.