Sign in to follow this  
Nicene Nerd

Pope to Waldensians: "Sorry We Killed Your Ancestors"

In interesting news of the day, Pope Francis took a trip to a Waldensian church to make apologies for Catholic persecution of the Waldensians in the 15th century. The Waldensians were a small, kind of proto-Protestant movement which grew out of France in the 12th century. They were fiercely persecuted by Catholics over the next few centuries.

Francis made his plea during the first ever visit by a pope to a Waldensian temple on the second day of a trip to Italy's northern Piedmont region, the center of the Waldensian Church, which has only about 30,000 followers worldwide.

While the movement is miniscule compared to the 1.2 billion member Roman Catholic Church, the gesture is part of Francis' drive to promote Christian unity and it has taken on added significance ahead of the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation in 2017.

"On behalf of the Catholic Church, I ask forgiveness for the un-Christian and even inhumane positions and actions taken against you historically," he said. "In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, forgive us!"

More at this source

Personally I think this is great Pope Francis has done so much in only a few years of service. This is great that he is trying to make amends for The Roman Catholic Church's past mistakes rather than shoving them under the rug which is much easier to do than say "yes this happened and yes we should not have done it" he (Popr Francis) is doing the Christian (not just Catholic) thing and aftering doing something wrong asking for forgiveness.

Im glad he just finally apologized to the protestants. I like this guy. He is using logic

Im glad he just finally apologized to the protestants. I like this guy. He is using logic

to be frank.

While we have done wrong

I am not going to say Lutherans were amazing for burning down our churches without persecution put upon them either.

or how American Protestants poured blood on Irish Catholics as they voted.

to be frank.

While we have done wrong

I am not going to say Lutherans were amazing for burning down our churches without persecution put upon them either.

or how American Protestants poured blood on Irish Catholics as they voted.

Um, guys, the Waldensians aren't, strictly speaking, Protestant. They originated a few hundred years before the Reformation.

Well I apologize for my ancestors actions. But in term, they did kinda get revenge. But wrongly. I think they wanted to be even

Well I apologize for my ancestors actions. But in term, they did kinda get revenge. But wrongly. I think they wanted to be even

revenge? seriously?

The only thing we Catholic did to you was acknowledge you did not follow the doctrine and declared you heretical XD

revenge? seriously?

The only thing we Catholic did to you was acknowledge you did not follow the doctrine and declared you heretical XD

And tortured and killed, though. Both sides during the Reformation thought it was acceptable to use standard legal punishments, from flogging to burning, on heretics.

And tortured and killed, though. Both sides during the Reformation thought it was acceptable to use standard legal punishments, from flogging to burning, on heretics.

Wasnt there also withc burnings that time? I think it was the catholics that accused people for being witches back a long time ago because they werent catholic or something like that because they disagreed

Wasnt there also withc burnings that time? I think it was the catholics that accused people for being witches back a long time ago because they werent catholic or something like that because they disagreed

Lots of people in history accused other people of being witches and burned them. Some were Catholic, some weren't.

Lots of people in history accused other people of being witches and burned them. Some were Catholic, some weren't.

point.

Joan of Arc was a saint charged with being a witch moreless.

She was burned at the stake, by England.

point.

Joan of Arc was a saint charged with being a witch moreless.

She was burned at the stake, by England.

Sounds brutal.

I do have a question though, what stopped catholics from violently clashing with protestants?

I do have a question though, what stopped catholics from violently clashing with protestants?

The answer is probably really complicated. Ask Katy.

The answer is probably really complicated. Ask Katy.

This is hilarious and I have put it in my signature.

That said, I will type out a long response tomorrow. 

This is hilarious and I have put it in my signature.

That said, I will type out a long response tomorrow. 

I did it first poopy-head >:L

Owwww :( I'll add to my profile, then

Haha I jest, you own it when its about you :P

Although we still need your answer -.^

Good to hear that he's seeking to make amendments for the past. But along with what Bryce is talking about, there were faults in both the protestant and Catholic side.