Debate of Gay Marriage

Jesus Geek

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This image reveals an utterly juvenile level of understanding of the Bible, sin, gay marriage, and the notion of equality. Specific problems:

• This pastor suggests the OT law is inhumane and cruel, implying that was unauthoritative from the start and not from God in any meaningful sense.
  • The pastor ignores entirely the question of continuity/discontinuity between the Old and New Testaments.
  • "The Bible doesn't say anything about the consequences of a homosexual lifestyle" is a bizarre and almost certainly false statement.
  • The pastor assumes that not providing homosexual unions with legal recognition or tolerance is somehow equivalent to ruining their lives.
  • "Equality" is a loaded term, packed with assumptions that warrant being discussed before applying the word as any kind of ideal, especially a Christian one.

I've seen this like 8 times. I want to slap everyone I'm friends with for sharing it. That pastor needs fired and this meme/article/post needs burned.  It's so light and fluffy theologically that it's not even worth looking at.

Edited by Boogles

I had strong feelings of hate towards it as well but I wantred to hear others opinions. Likelihood this wasn't actually preached by a real pastor and made by a supporter of Gay marriage but who knows as this did come from the internet.

You know what actually disgusts me.

Not completely this message

or the fact someone disagrees or agrees with gay marriage

how people do feel just because they are 'christians' they have the right to be so cruel to a certain type of people.

Jesus told the men persecuting the one without sin to throw the rock

not a single one did

instead of preaching YOU'RE AWFUL GO TO HELL

maybe you all should start preaching the LOVE God actualyl INTENDED!

It's stuff like this that really irritates me. If there are any millennial Christians that actually like this picture, then I'm worried for the future of the American Church, truly. Total hogwash.

The future of the church will he interesting...

It's stuff like this that really irritates me. If there are any millennial Christians that actually like this picture, then I'm worried for the future of the American Church, truly. Total hogwash.

Um... I'm stating to wonder if the American church even has a future at this point. Attendance is the lowest its been in decades. 18-24 year olds are dissapearing fast, due to churches putting families and couples on a pedestal in their midst. Parents of this generation have bad experiences with churches and aren't sending their kids. It's bad.

Also tumblr. Tumblr is out to get us all. tumblr is anti-Christ.

You know what actually disgusts me.

Not completely this message

or the fact someone disagrees or agrees with gay marriage

how people do feel just because they are 'christians' they have the right to be so cruel to a certain type of people.

Jesus told the men persecuting the one without sin to throw the rock

not a single one did

instead of preaching YOU'RE AWFUL GO TO HELL

maybe you all should start preaching the LOVE God actualyl INTENDED!

I concur. Being a Christian doesn't make you any better than other people. Stop judging yourself as better than someone else because of X reason.

There's a happy medium here. God hates sin, unrepentant sin will send someone to Hell. (name the sin, lying, adultery etc) HOWEVER... God loves people too much to not give them a chance to turn around, via Jesus. This is where his love and his grace come into play. Some people are so busy preaching hellfire and brimstone, they forget about the love God has for us. And others are so busy preaching the love and fluffy happy theology "God is good! Unicorns and flowers everywhere!", that they forget God is just,jealous for our love, hates sin and has a righteous fury side.

The person who wrote this article has the cleverness of a 13 year old girl.  And the maturity level.

Um... I'm stating to wonder if the American church even has a future at this point. Attendance is the lowest its been in decades. 18-24 year olds are dissapearing fast, due to churches putting families and couples on a pedestal in their midst. Parents of this generation have bad experiences with churches and aren't sending their kids. It's bad.

Also tumblr. Tumblr is out to get us all. tumblr is anti-Christ.

The bold is the point I wanted to make, but you did it. Millennials are just not interested in going to church. I have many friends in this age range that just don't want to be told how their life should be run: They want the control instead of giving it up to the Creator.

As far as churches not putting enough emphasis on youth/young adult ministry goes, I concur. I know for a fact my church has no youth ministry.  We have either adults, or small children. Youth are the life-blood of the church. If you have no youth, it's only a matter of time before you have no church, because roles that are meant to be filled cannot be. Churches can last only so long without youth.

Now the parents not sending (or bringing) their children is a big issue. The argument I normally hear goes something along the lines of "We just want our child to make up their own minds, and not be told one way is the only way." I'm not saying that it necessarily is, but it sounds like poor parenting to me. If you have the Truth, why not teach your kids in the way they should go? 

TL;DR there should be a thread about this topic, and people should discuss it there. I never thought I would be talking about youth ministry on a topic centered on gay marriage. xP

The bold is the point I wanted to make, but you did it. Millennials are just not interested in going to church. I have many friends in this age range that just don't want to be told how their life should be run: They want the control instead of giving it up to the Creator.

As far as churches not putting enough emphasis on youth/young adult ministry goes, I concur. I know for a fact my church has no youth ministry.  We have either adults, or small children. Youth are the life-blood of the church. If you have no youth, it's only a matter of time before you have no church, because roles that are meant to be filled cannot be. Churches can last only so long without youth.

Now the parents not sending (or bringing) their children is a big issue. The argument I normally hear goes something along the lines of "We just want our child to make up their own minds, and not be told one way is the only way." I'm not saying that it necessarily is, but it sounds like poor parenting to me. If you have the Truth, why not teach your kids in the way they should go? 

TL;DR there should be a thread about this topic, and people should discuss it there. I never thought I would be talking about youth ministry on a topic centered on gay marriage. xP

To wuote you on the youth comment I agree on your points but disagree. From personal experience as a youth I was brought up as a Christian as fate has it the same church I am still attending today at 17 years old. With this being said I was forced to attend church every sunday or whenever we had went and this did nothing but grow my faith away from Christ. I would walk around the church during classes or go into the cafe to kill time. Years recently i'd go into the parking lot, smoke, and do other things. It wasn't until recently hitting rock bottom that I found Christ on my own and that is what grew my faith today. Therefore, my opniion forcing that upon children didn't make me closer to god, but dislike god for that particular reason. Maybe I would catch a few things here and there as a youth attending the services I was forced upon but to an extent it only made me go the opposite way. Thats my two sense

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey all, came across this article on good old facebook. Most things on facebook wouldn't make Christ smile  :razz: but anyways take a look at this article: http://www.tickld.com/x/pastor-just-said-something-that-blew-his-entire-congregation-away

Wow.... I couldn't state it any better. Being gay is a sin, yes. But so is lying and stealing and murdering and divorcing. And everyone is a sinner. That doesn't mean we don't love each other anymore. Really liked what it states.... Good job!

• 3 weeks later...