Jesus Geek

Debate of Gay Marriage

All sins are equated as the same. There's no levels of severity. It's all sins. The way you sin doesn't make you better than the way someone else does.

Murder trumps stealing; stealing doesn't extinguish a life, murder does; and thus it is a greater sin than stealing. 

"The way you sin doesn't make you better than the way someone else does."

True. 

These are sins which will not be forgiven by God whereby salvation becomes impossible. One eternal or unforgivable sin is specified in several passages of the Synoptic Gospels: verse 29 in Mark 3 states that there is one sin considered eternal and that is "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit".

http://www.cgg.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Library.sr/CT/RA/k/238/Are-Some-Sins-Worse-Than-Others.htm

These are sins which will not be forgiven by God whereby salvation becomes impossible. One eternal or unforgivable sin is specified in several passages of the Synoptic Gospels: verse 29 in Mark 3 states that there is one sin considered eternal and that is "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit".

http://www.cgg.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Library.sr/CT/RA/k/238/Are-Some-Sins-Worse-Than-Others.htm

There are different denominations, in my family beliefs we don't believe in mortal sins.

We just label it as "sin"

So everyone's religious beliefs differ.

Eastern Orthodoxy is different than Catholicism or Protestantism; so I probably don't agree with everyone here. 
I'm sorry if I got out of hand here... :(

Eastern Orthodoxy is different than Catholicism or Protestantism; so I probably don't agree with everyone here. 

I'm sorry if I got out of hand here... :(

Catholicism believes in mortal sin

There are different denominations, in my family beliefs we don't believe in mortal sins.

We just label it as "sin"

So everyone's religious beliefs differ.

Jesus quite explicitly teaches that some sins are worse than others. He says so in no uncertain terms on multiple occasions (Matt. 11:21-22, Matt. 12:31, Lk. 12:46-48, John 19:11).

If you don't mine me asking, what is your definition?

I consider marriage to be a uniquely instituted relationship between a man and a woman for the purpose of uniquely and concretely symbolizing the union between God and man, and for establishing a stable environment for the creation and flourishing of children, in a way that both goals are interrelated and intertwined, on which all human society depends.

I consider marriage to be a uniquely instituted relationship between a man and a woman for the purpose of uniquely and concretely symbolizing the union between God and man, and for establishing a stable environment for the creation and flourishing of children, in a way that both goals are interrelated and intertwined, on which all human society depends.

But can't that relationship symbolized the union of God and man, if it were two christians of the same sex?

Jesus quite explicitly teaches that some sins are worse than others. He says so in no uncertain terms on multiple occasions (Matt. 11:21-22, Matt. 12:31, Lk. 12:46-48, John 19:11).

True

Very true.

He does teach that, I just wasn't raised to believe some are worse.

But can't that relationship symbolized the union of God and man, if it were two christians of the same sex?

Not in the same concrete terms. There is a fundamental asymmetry between God and man, a stark difference, which is lost to representation in same-sex relationships. They could be a bare symbol of "love," but could not reflect the unique and strange way that God comes to man. Moreover, they could certainly not do so in a way that also orients fundamentally towards the creation and maturation of new life through personal child-bearing which overflows from this particular relationship. A same-sex marriage would mean nothing in regards to either of these essential elements, nor would it in today's divorce climate even involve any real commitment or any purpose at all.

Not in the same concrete terms. There is a fundamental asymmetry between God and man, a stark difference, which is lost to representation in same-sex relationships. 

A same-sex marriage would mean nothing in regards to either of these essential elements, nor would it in today's divorce climate even involve any real commitment or any purpose at all.

I understand.

Well let's look at something here:

State the definition of gender. Additionally, state how gender affects the definition of marriage (if that makes sense).

Also, from what I saw, the divorce rates are actually higher in percentage from heterosexual relationships.

P.S. I really like your marriage definition, much well stated than mines 

State the definition of gender. Additionally, state how gender affects the definition of marriage (if that makes sense).

"Gender" may mean different things depending on who's using the word and what they're trying to accomplish. It's a slippery word. Can you be more specific?

As far as I'm concerned, it is precisely the fleshly reality of biological sex that gives moral and social significance to marriage.

Also, from what I saw, the divorce rates are actually higher in percentage from heterosexual relationships.

This isn't particularly relevant to my case. As far as I'm concerned, even heterosexual marriage has already been eviscerated and neutered of its true meaning in the modern marriage culture.

But this brings me back to my other question: what is the point of marriage for same sex couples?

"Gender" may mean different things depending on who's using the word and what they're trying to accomplish. It's a slippery word. Can you be more specific?As far as I'm concerned, it is precisely the fleshly reality of biological sex that gives moral and social significance to marriage.

It seems like we should be able to structure at least part of this definition as:

God's ____ is to man's ____ as a husband's ____ is to a wife's ____.

When I think about the relationship and disparity between God and man, I'm struggling to see reasonable equivalents for governing a relationship between humans.

Edited by delaMancha

It seems like we should be able to structure at least part of this definition as:

God's ____ is to man's ____ as a husband's ____ is to a wife's ____.

When I think about the relationship and disparity between God and man, I'm struggling to see reasonable equivalents for governing a relationship between humans.

Regardless of the limits of your imagination on this, Ephesians 4 in particular seems to push in this direction (though more Biblical work could be done on this front).

Regardless of the limits of your imagination on this, Ephesians 4 in particular seems to push in this direction (though more Biblical work could be done on this front).

Ephesians gives the "Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands" and "Husbands, love your wives" bit, yes.  How does the "fleshly reality of biological sex" (in terms of both gender and procreation) relate to these commands?  The passage structures the commands as husband is to wife as Christ is to church.  In what way do the biological relationship and differences between husband and wife mirror the relationship and differences between Christ and church?

Don't we have this debate, like, every two weeks?

It's virtually pointless now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed.

Should make it a rule, "no more posting of homosexual marriage debates, because we have 10 of them." :P

Homosexuality is a sin. The original Plan was man with woman or woman with man, only. Diversion from that is offensive to God. And the all-loving, all-forgiving God concept is a hoax. There are just some things you are not allowed to do. Gays of either gender will not see nor enter the Kingdom of Heaven.