FOX545

To Debate?

Many Christians say that you should try to win people over by beating them in an intellectual debate, but other say that you shouldn't debate with non-believers and instead just show them Christ like love. So do you think that Christians should debate with non Christians or just win them over with love?

But before you post please watch this little video by Todd White (An evangelist), it might influence your thoughts...

Many Christians say that you should try to win people over by beating them in an intellectual debate

No they don't.

I'm not sure if the better joke is that some Christians try to win people over by beating them in an intellectual debate, or the thought that such debates are any sort of intellectual. ;)

No they don't.

I think what Chris is trying to say, but in a less blunt way is, "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1 Cor. 1:18. 

Unless God changes the heart of the person you're talking to, you're not going to debate someone into Christianity. 

I think what Chris is trying to say, but in a less blunt way is, "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1 Cor. 1:18.

Unless God changes the heart of the person you're talking to, you're not going to debate someone into Christianity.

I thought what Chris was trying to say is that it's simply false that many Christians say this. I, for example, have only ever heard people say the exact opposite.

I thought what Chris was trying to say is that it's simply false that many Christians say this. I, for example, have only ever heard people say the exact opposite.

This is also what I thought.

This is also what I thought.

Huh, see... I actually have heard a large number of Christians say that they can debate someone into Christianity, but mostly only in my early teen youth group years. 

Well, arguing with them only makes them defensive and want to lash back. Most people believe that their beliefs are "always right" and most people are stubborn. To get them to believe they really have to want to believe as i've had many situations of trying to convince others but if they dont want to, you cannot force them. Only they can find god for themselves.

Well, arguing with them only makes them defensive and want to lash back. Most people believe that their beliefs are "always right" and most people are stubborn. To get them to believe they really have to want to believe as i've had many situations of trying to convince others but if they dont want to, you cannot force them. Only they can find god for themselves.

What do you suppose makes something true? Like, why do we say "that's true" about something? 

What do you suppose makes something true? Like, why do we say "that's true" about something? 

Not sure what you mean by this, gods word is true if you can locate it in the bible. We say thats true maybe to just go upon the argument? 

I believe debating can be good, when done respectfully, and you're doing because of an honest want to see Christ save them, not just to add another tally to people you've helped save. 

Personally I think that debating can be a good thing depending on what type of people you are around. But it wouldn't be very good against your everyday non believer, unless they start the debate or they are scientific minded. Just my opinion.

Many Christians say that you should try to win people over by beating them in an intellectual debate, but other say that you shouldn't debate with non-believers and instead just show them Christ like love. So do you think that Christians should debate with non Christians or just win them over with love?

Heated debates where you're trying to constantly prove yourself right in a desperate attempt to 'win' only cause anger and resentfulness on both sides and have contributed to some of the negative 'press' that Christians have received. I don't believe debates of this kind should really play any kind of role in attempt to explain the religion and bring someone to God because to me that's not the kind of religious education that someone needs. Very little will be taken in and oftentimes more emphasis is placed upon stumping the other person's arguments than actually listening to their questions and answering them in a way that could be enlightening.

Thoughtful discussions where the queries of the a-religious person (I don't know what else to call them in this case :P) are answered respectfully and without just chucking Bible verses at them are the best way to go in my opinion. 

We say thats true maybe to just go upon the argument? 

Do you mean to just go on with the argument?

Why do we say that God's Word is true?

I'm not sure it's really possible to "debate" someone into converting. Sure, we can try and use philosophy and theology to try and convince them, but most of the time this devolves into simply yelling at each other which gets us no where. St. Francis of Assisi once said “It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching.” or as some people interpret it, "Preach the Gospel always. Using words when necessary." I think we need a blend of actions and words to bring someone into the Church. Of course, prayer never hurts.

I'm not sure it's really possible to "debate" someone into converting. Sure, we can try and use philosophy and theology to try and convince them, but most of the time this devolves into simply yelling at each other which gets us no where. St. Francis of Assisi once said “It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching.” or as some people interpret it, "Preach the Gospel always. Using words when necessary." I think we need a blend of actions and words to bring someone into the Church. Of course, prayer never hurts.

That quote is perfect (:

We say gods word is true because we first hand know without any doubt of the living holy spirit, and we say his word is true because some people have even witnessed it first hand of his works

We say gods word is true because we first hand know without any doubt of the living holy spirit, and we say his word is true because some people have even witnessed it first hand of his works

I think that if the acknowledgement of this truth is based purely on personal experience and feeling, that it can't be debated.

If knowing your truth requires this personal experience and feeling, then no discourse can bring someone to it, they have to have the experiences and feelings themselves.