Jesus christ will not be returning

Jesus christ will not be returning. It says it in the bible.

Sure

Here Jesus says that the people living 2000 years ago would not die until THEY SAW HIM COME IN HIS KINGDOM! 

Matthew 16:28

And I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom."

Jesus was talking to his disciples and referring to the people that were standing there 2000 years ago that they were the ones that would see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. You can say I'm taking out of context or misinterpreting all you want but my little 8 year old could read that and say the same thing...lol and since that is the case we know Jesus never came back 2000 years ago... lol. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are, off the top of my head, three ways which could be understood as the disciples seeing Jesus come in His kingdom. First, right after this Peter, James, and John witnessed the Transfiguration, which could be considered a taste of His coming. Second, they all witnessed the resurrection of Jesus, which marked the full inauguration of His kingdom, even if the completion was to be delayed by the ascension. Third, John watched Jesus return in his visions in Revelation.

The future return of Jesus is a fundamental doctrine of Jesus, written into all of the major creeds. Most of the New Testament even after this statement was made continue to refer to His future coming. Revelation wasn't written until at least 60 years later, and sill referred to His future coming.

I can see why you could misinterpret this verse, but the Old Testament prophets (namely Isaiah), the Gospels, and Paul's letters all talk about the Second Coming. From the Book of Revelations:

"Behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to render to every man according to his works. [13] I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end." -The Apocalypse of St. John (from the Douay-Rheims Bible).

Thing is, Our Lord doesn't say "Behold, I came quickly...". He says "I come quickly...", meaning that He will come back. The second to last verse of the Bible, Revelations 22: 20:

"He that giveth testimony of these things, saith, Surely I come quickly: Amen. Come, Lord Jesus." (Douay Rheims Bible)

Well, Jesus says He is coming again, and quickly, I might add. The Greek word tachu is used for quickly in that verse AC posted. It's where we get the word tachometer. This world, much like a car's tachometer, is fixed. We only have so long, and I cannot wait for His glorious appearing. Maranatha, Lord Jesus!

• 3 months later...

Um, dude, he was talking about Spiritual, not physical death.

In the same way I could say to you:

there are some people on here right now, that will not die, ever.

And, keep reading the Bible, Jesus Christ Himself says that He is coming back.  And it says so about a thousand times in the Epistles.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/9/2015 at 6:41 PM, Bryce B. said:

That or jehovah witnesses. They believe he has already come back

Just gonna correct you considering I was actually formerly besties with a JW and she taught me a lot of her faith.

They don't think he has come back. They believe He will create a second earth, but a perfect earth, and those who were unfaithful, this earth will be hell.

• 6 months later...
On 7/15/2015 at 4:37 PM, Nicene Nerd said:

There are, off the top of my head, three ways which could be understood as the disciples seeing Jesus come in His kingdom. First, right after this Peter, James, and John witnessed the Transfiguration, which could be considered a taste of His coming. Second, they all witnessed the resurrection of Jesus, which marked the full inauguration of His kingdom, even if the completion was to be delayed by the ascension. Third, John watched Jesus return in his visions in Revelation.

The future return of Jesus is a fundamental doctrine of Jesus, written into all of the major creeds. Most of the New Testament even after this statement was made continue to refer to His future coming. Revelation wasn't written until at least 60 years later, and sill referred to His future coming.

The Transfiguration and the resurrection can't be it because after Jesus' ascension, in Acts, Peter advises the apostles and the first Christians to prepare for Jesus' return. Perhaps John's Revelation was what Jesus was referring to. If we trust the apocrypha, Peter had a revelation too, so maybe other apostles had visions too, but their writings might have been lost.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:36 AM, Lucian Hodoboc said:

The Transfiguration and the resurrection can't be it because after Jesus' ascension, in Acts, Peter advises the apostles and the first Christians to prepare for Jesus' return. Perhaps John's Revelation was what Jesus was referring to. If we trust the apocrypha, Peter had a revelation too, so maybe other apostles had visions too, but their writings might have been lost.

My views have changed quite a bit on this matter in the two years since I made that post. It was fulfilled gradually, with a foretaste given in the Transfiguration and the actual fulfillment occurring from Christ's resurrection to the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70. This was not a prophecy of His literal, physical return to earth (though that is still going to happen someday).

We honestly don't know what will happen, but I would have to disagree with you. Everything has its end, nothing is constant. And I respect your opinion. 

"Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left. "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." (Matthew 24:40-44)

Edited by baemorgan

9 hours ago, baemorgan said:

We honestly don't know what will happen, but I would have to disagree with you. Everything has its end, nothing is constant. And I respect your opinion. 

"Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left. "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." (Matthew 24:40-44)

While I agree with your basic point, the verses you mentioned here are most likely about the destruction of the Temple in AD 70 rather than the End.