Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greggordon

Head Covering A Symbol To The Unseen Realm by Greg Gordon

facebook17.jpg?w=723

It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own head, because of the angels. – 1 Corinthians 11:10

The passage in Corinthians clearly teaches of headship where God is the head of Christ and Christ is the head of man and man is the head of woman. Though Biblical submission is right woman are not inferior spiritually but one in Christ. Yet they must choose to submit and humble themselves just as Christ humbled himself before the Father. God’s government and way of order is in such a way where each member must do his or her part. When women or men choose not to fulfill and walk in God’s ways for the Church, disorder and every evil practice ensues. The importance of head covering is not an outward reason but an spiritual reality proclaimed to the principalities and powers. When the head covering is practiced it proclaims God’s order and way to all of creation, including the angels (1 Peter 1:12). K.P. Yohannan says, “Have you considered why there is so much tension and fighting over placing a small piece of cloth on one’s head? When a woman wears the symbol of God’s government, a head covering, she is essentially a rebuke to all the fallen angels. Her actions say to them, ‘You have rebelled against the Holy God, but I submit to Him and His headship. I choose not to follow your example of rebellion and pride.'” Eve fell into satan’s rebellion (2 Corinthians 11:3), yet now in the Church women declare they are following God’s order in the Church (1 Timothy 2:12-14).

Watchman Nee says, “When many of the sisters in the church take the place given to woman and learn to cover their heads, they send out an unspoken word of testimony to the angels in the air, to the effect that God has obtained in the church what He desires.” Hippolytus an early Church Father wrote, “let all the women have their heads covered.” Others who taught this practice in the Church were, John Calvin, Martin Luther, Early Church Fathers, John Wesley, Matthew Henry to name just a few. We must remind ourselves that until the twentieth century, virtually all Christian women wore head coverings. As we worship together as the Church we enter into worship with the holy angels in heaven who cover their faces (Isaiah 6:2). In the same way sisters covering their heads show they honouring of the glory of God. Clement of Rom in A.D. 96 said, “Then let us gather together in awareness of our concord” speaking of the holy angels when we worship. The Church is to gather and worship God in the spirit (John 4:24) doing things that the world considers foolish but for the Lord there is great significance. Paul speaking as inspired by the Holy Spirit said, “we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God” (1 Corinthians 11:16). It was not just a local custom or practice but all the Churches were practicing this as with water Baptism and Holy Communion. This was not an optional thing as the default was all the Churches were doing it. But Paul gives grace to those who are not convinced of its importance from the Lord as the Corinthians partly were divided over many issues including this one.

The only thing that ever covers my head is my hair, or a hat.  Dunno who Watchman Nee is, but you have to take into consideration the culture in which the forefathers of the church lived. That was cultural practice in the East and was adopted in Europe and such. Muslims still practice it, hindus wear something on their heads and some other old-world groups to, along with various Apostolic Christians and the Amish. In the middle east, it makes sense. Being covered up in the desert keeps you from dehydrating too quickly, and prevents sunburn.

Times change, and so does fashion. Cultures and climates come into play too. We stopped wearing hoopskirts, undergarments got more comfortable, we dropped the wool swimwear for the streamlined spandexy stuff. Men stopped wearing breeches and now run around in skinny jeans. -shrug-

From what I gather, you're saying that women who don't wear head coverings are the cause of evil in their own lives? I've never worn a head covering, and I've never murdered anyone, stolen anyone's cow, married a parent, or abused a kid. (Hey, you said EVERY kind of evil.) So... generational curses and poor life choices aren't at fault, just the fact she doesn't wear anything on her head? Uh, okay. Does this apply to women who have no hair, cancer patients and very sick people?  O.o

"...consider not what he( or she, since we're talking women) is wearing... for the Lord does not look at the things man looks at... The Lord looks at the heart." 1 Sam 16:7

God knows my heart, and there's nothing rebellious in this day and age about uncovering your head. I've been in only one church that somewhat practiced it and not a person has preached on it.

ooh... shoot. debates... I'll... uh, I'll watch.

There used to be a tradition in the Catholic Church, which some women still practice, of wearing a veil as a head covering, JUST to Church. It humbles them, and plus they are 'brides of Christ'.

Today, you cannot even tell a sister apart from a normal parishoner, because they no longer wear the garb, most of them. My grandfather told many stories of the 'penguins' as he called them, he said he says it with all respect because they definitely taught him about life. He was disappointed to discover most orders do not wear the usual clothng anymore.

Times HAVE changed, but if we're just talking about Church, why not? If I have a veil to actually wear to Church, I would. It just shows a deeper devotion to God.

There used to be a tradition in the Catholic Church, which some women still practice, of wearing a veil as a head covering, JUST to Church. It humbles them, and plus they are 'brides of Christ'.

Today, you cannot even tell a sister apart from a normal parishoner, because they no longer wear the garb, most of them. My grandfather told many stories of the 'penguins' as he called them, he said he says it with all respect because they definitely taught him about life. He was disappointed to discover most orders do not wear the usual clothng anymore.

Times HAVE changed, but if we're just talking about Church, why not? If I have a veil to actually wear to Church, I would. It just shows a deeper devotion to God.

I'm confused by this. How does wearing an article of clothing show a deeper devotion to God? I have a feeling people could use this to show off, much like the religious leaders of Jesus' time, with all of the tassles, and whatnot. 

I'm confused by this. How does wearing an article of clothing show a deeper devotion to God? I have a feeling people could use this to show off, much like the religious leaders of Jesus' time, with all of the tassles, and whatnot. 

I think she means that it is almost a sacrifice, because it would make you stand out in a way, since they aren't necessarily popular. I can see how it is honoring to God, but at the same time can turn into a bad thing. 

I think she means that it is almost a sacrifice, because it would make you stand out in a way, since they aren't necessarily popular. I can see how it is honoring to God, but at the same time can turn into a bad thing. 

James is right here.

Actually, back in the day, girls hair was very important to courtship and etc. To cover their head would be a 'sacrifice' to their beauty. Some who chose the religious life even cut their hair, to show honor and sacrifice to God. so.

While I'm not straightly convinced that women must still wear head coverings, I also don't think we can so quickly dismiss it as ancient culture. Paul's arguments (lengthy ones) are all deeper and less historically contingent than a superficial cultural custom. His reasons, for example, include:

• A point of Christology and ecclesiology (11:3-4)
  • The created order of the sexes (11:3-4, 7-9, 11-12)
  • An obscure point of angelology (11:10)
None of these major points are clearly a matter of ancient cultures. We need further investigation.