ChristianPrincess22

Help with painting

I really really enjoy painting. But I don't have any abbility lol. I can't even do the good paint by numbers. My eyesight is kinda poor and my hands are really shakey and I just am not good at painting haha.

Any tips? Or am I hopeless?

The part that really sucks is my brother is an perfect artist and he never paints and I love to paint and I just can't.

I (try to) paint Warmachine models, which is pretty different from what you do. Have you ever considered a magnifying glass? Those models are so small, and that magnifying glass helps tremendously. Could that possibly help?

Why not just do what you like doing? I really like drawing and I'm not very good at it. But I took enough time to draw and try different styles before I found something I was decent at. It turned out to be fashion. So, you may just need to try several styles until you find one you can do and like. It's like music. How will you get good if you don't practice? Most people start out sounding terrible on an instrument but if they enjoy it they keep practicing until they get better. Also, youtube probably has a bunch of videos on how to paint. I hope this helps. :)

I don't really know what to tell you about your eyesight but using a longer paintbrush might help steady your strokes. I generally find the longer ones easier to use. Also, experimenting with different types of paint could help you. Watercolor, oil, and acrylic are all different.....and acrylic is a pain in the butt! If you're using that, then that may be why your work isn't too great. You have to be really good at painting to make a master piece with acrylic. I know I can't do it!

Painting takes  practice. And practice. And practice. Just because your work may not be museum ready now, doesn't mean it won't be in the future. Don't give up! If you love it, do it. And remember, it might not be as bad as you think. After all, you are your own worst critic.   Oh, and pre-sketching before painting can help considerably!

Edited by SouthernChristian1997

Thanks for all the tips!

I'm going to try to finsih my auper hard paint by number that I have been working on for a year.

My birthday is in less then a week, I'm hoping to get a bunch of painting supplies.

Oh, that's cool! I love getting art supplies, even if I don't use them super often :x

But I would advise, just like in everything else, to practice. Even if your hands are shaky I'm sure in time that either it will lessen or you will find a way to overcome it in your art. Or both! Plus if you're still working on a piece that's taken a year, that's dedication. dedication gets you places. Cheers