paraskeve

The Prophecy of Eight Roleplay

Claerie:

Claerie walked along the riverbank, foraging for mussels to complete tonight's repast.  It was about time to start looking for a campsite.  With that thought in mind, she glanced upward, and did a double-take.  A curl of smoke wound its way above the trees not so far away.  A campfire!  Deciding it would be a good idea to make sure the other travelers weren't hostile before setting up her own camp, Claerie stepped out of the shallows, sat down on a rock and put her boots back on.  She set out at a relaxed pace; best that the others not see her rushing toward them and interpret that as potential aggression on her part.

Rounding a bend in the stream, she spotted a young woman walking in her general direction, looking dreamily around at the forest.  Before the girl had a chance to spot her, a young man bolted out of the forest and planted himself in her path.  Claerie tensed for action just in case, but he greeted the girl instead of attacking.  Approaching the pair with long, graceful strides, Claerie kept her arms at her sides, bent at the elbows, her forearms extended outward with hands open, palms facing forward: the Entwine's gesture of peace.

I sorta started back, "now haven't I found my lucky girl?" I winked and backed away.

"Are you looking for a campfire? I'm a walking live one." I lit my fingers and fluttered them in her general direction. "What's your name?" I asked.

Sofia

"Hello?"

The sudden voice made Sofia jump and snapped her from her thoughts. There was a man standing in front of her, starring at her. Before she had a chance to return his greeting, another girl, older than herself, came around a bend in the stream. The man turned his attention to her.  As he talked, fire lit on his fingertips, seemingly from nowhere.

Sofia's eyes grew wide at this. She had never met someone who had the power of fire and found this to be quite strange. She said nothing, however, and waited for the other girl's reply to the man's greeting.

Edited by SouthernChristian1997

I sat down and crossed my legs, I propped my chin up and stared at the both of them. "I can wait all day."

Claerie:

"Now haven't I found my lucky girl?" the man said with a saucy wink. "Are you looking for a campfire? I'm a walking live one." Tongues of flame flickered from his fingertips, which he fluttered in a flashy gesture to make the flames dance.  "What's your name?"

Claerie blinked, unable to conjure a reply.  How was one to respond to a complete stranger who: 1) claimed her as 'his' in some sense, and asserted that she was somehow 'lucky' he did so; 2) accused her of wanting to tear at the flesh of the forest to fuel a fire; and 3) presented himself as a source of ignition?  Viewed through the lens of her own upbringing, his words could be taken as offensive in several ways, though that was almost certainly not his intent.  Which naturally meant that she would have to speak carefully if she wanted to avoid unintentionally giving offense herself.  The other girl looked on with wide eyes, astonished by, or perhaps afraid, of his magic.

Claerie hadn't thought she'd taken so very long to reply, but the fire elf nimbly sank into a cross-legged sitting position.  "I can wait all day," he said, though she rather doubted that.

Looking from one to the other so as to include them both, Claerie curtsied.  "I am Claerie of Windingwood Entwine," she said with a pleasant smile, then turned to the male.  "My apologies sir.  I am not...actually seeking a campfire."

"But aren't we all looking for light when it is dark." I answered, tilting my head, goofiness gone now. "And why did you apologize? As long as you don't shove herbs down my throat, hello!" I smiled, a little bit crazily. Possible reason to fear, most likely disgust from the both of them. 

"I am Nicholas, a Fire Elf, which, you guessed it, lightly controls fire. I can't set myself on fire yet, but I'm trying."

((I know you aren't reading this, Garth, but that was from the old one! :D))

I think it is time to introduce my character. I don't know how to go about this, but here goes. Is this all right?

Krystal:

I brushed my long auburn hair out of my face and watched the people below me. I normally don't go around climbing trees but when I wanted to watch something the tree leaves dimmed my light and kept me from blinding people with the light emitting from me. The man seemed to be making the girl nervous. Unfortunately I had climbed to high to be able to hear what was going on. I frowned as the fire licked out from his fingers. Who was he? And who was she? I wished I could go around unnoticed. But blinding people wouldn't help. So, I adjusted my position in the tree and leaned against a crook in the branch. I would watch a little longer. I winced as the leaves rustled loudly on the windless day. I hoped they wouldn't notice.

OOC: Since 1st person POV seems to be the more common approach in this game, I'm going to switch to it.

Claerie:

"Not always," I replied to his first question, giving him an enigmatic grin.  I wonder if Fire Elves always ward off the night with fires and torches, seeing the darkness as a foe that must be beaten back.  That thought made me a little sad.  I would hate to be blinded to the stars, or the delicate flicker of fireflies, never experience the meditative quietude of night.

Shove herbs down his throat?  I thought, wondering at his last sentence.  We were all speaking Elven, but I wasn't sure we were all understanding it in the same way.  "I apologized because I wanted to make sure I did not give offense.  It is nice to meet you Nicholas.  I promise, I will not shove--"

There was a rustle in the leaves high overhead.  The sound and spread of of the disturbance, and subtle groanings from the branch said that it was not a leaf-crab or nesting dactyl, but a larger creature of size and weight comparable to my own.  I looked up.  Through the thick canopy of leaves, I could glimpse tiny slivers of light, but most of it was blocked from my view.  I reached out to touch the tree trunk and attuned myself to it.  I could feel the weight now, almost as if it was sitting on my (much larger, bark-encrusted) shoulder.  An Elf, or being of Elvenoid form, not a strangely radiant forest predator.

"Hello?" I called out.

Edited by Logos

"Nice, hello strange-person-in-a-tree, you trying to ambush us?" I asked, barely looking up at the tree. I got up, and slowly backed away from the tree, and I slid my hand over the two throwing knives I keep.

OOC: Think I'll change my POV too...

Sofia

I stood silently listening to Claerie and Nicholas' conversation, just as, if not more so, content to listen as I would be to speak. As I listened, I couldn't stop assumptions from invading my mind. Given Claerie's politeness and that she was eager not to cause offence, it seemed that she wasn't from around here and wanted peaceful dealings with others. She seemed nice.

Nicholas, however, with his crazy smile and strange words, I couldn't help but wonder if he was a bit insane! Why in the worlds would anyone want to set themselves on fire? Perhaps all Fire Elves were this way....what's strange to one, may be common place to another. Best not to mention it.

A sudden rustle came from the tree above us. I looked up and saw a little light shining from amid the leaves. What in the worlds? I wondered.

"Hello?" Claerie called, her hand pressed to the trunk of the tree.

"Nice, hello strange-person-in-a-tree, you trying to ambush us?" came Nicholas' response to the tree climber. I saw him reach toward something he had with him....something small and metallic. A weapon of some sort?

Before I could stop myself (and keeping in a soft tone, not wanting the tree climber to assume we were dangerous and react accordingly) I asked him, "Wouldn't it be a better method of socialization to confirm whether or not the person is hostile before displaying hostility yourself?"

"Socialization? I prefer to live through the day." I answered, slowly sliding the knives back in my pocket, but keeping them in my hands.

Kyrstal:

I watched the people warily and started as a new person came into view. They had spotted me and I didn't like where the man's hands were going. I nocked an arrow to my bow and said, "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

I smirked, "like that would stop me?" I asked, raising an eyebrow, "would you prefer this?" I flipped the knives out, and held them in the throwing position. "Or this?" I threw one at the trunk of the tree, near her feet. "Which one would you rather prefer?" I asked sweetly. 

Claerie:

"Nice, hello strange-person-in-a-tree, you trying to ambush us?" Nicholas said, reaching for his throwing-knives. 

"I don't think so--" I said softly; the impression I was getting felt more like relaxation than the tension of one poised to attack.  Of course that changed when Nicholas went for his weapons...

"Wouldn't it be a better method of socialization to confirm whether or not the person is hostile before displaying hostility yourself?" the other girl said. 

"Socialization? I prefer to live through the day," Nicholas replied.

From above: "I wouldn't do that if I were you."  A feminine voice.  The woman in the tree had shifted her weight, supporting herself with only her legs.  The nuances of her balance suggested a two-handed weapon, most likely a bow or crossbow.  Without having to look, I stepped sideways and snugged up to the tree.  One of its big, winding main branches was now between me and the woman above.  To aim at me, she would have to move.  So long as I was in contact with the tree, I could sense it and circle the trunk to evade her.  From such safety, I could try to prevent a fight.

"Like that would stop me?" Nicholas said in a cocky voice.  I looked his way.  With a smirk, he took a throwing stance, gleaming blades at the ready.  "Or this?"  I opened my mouth, but was not quick enough.  I winced as he threw--even if he was only throwing a warning shot, there was no way she could know that--and again when his knife struck the tree at her feet.  It hurt like an insect's sting. "Which one would you rather prefer?" he asked with mock sweetness.

His approach did not strike me as the wisest of tactics.  For one, if the woman in the tree was equally itchy, she might have loosed an arrow at him as soon as he started to throw.  Secondly, one of his weapons was now high in a tree, far out of his reach.

The woman descended from branch to branch, nimble as a dancer descending stairs, without even having to remove her arrow from her bowstring.  "Neither," she said in a soft voice.  Her light now blazed so brightly that I could not look at her directly.  My people, accustomed to the shady chambers of our barrow for generations, tend to have eyes more light-sensitive than most.  I knew I would be at a serious disadvantage if I ever had to fight her.

"Alright, she is not trying to ambush us.  Can we please not fight?" I said. 

I walked forward slowly, pulled out the knife, and put it in my pocket and walked backwards, keeping my eyes on everyone.

Kyrstal:

The man had smirked at me. I don't like people smirking at me. People that do it once, normally don't again. Don't get me wrong, I don't kill or severely injure them, I just teach them a lesson. But this man scared me. I hoped my fear didn't radiate off me like my light did. The girl next to the tree seemed to be having trouble with my light. I liked her, she seemed nice. I wished I could dim my light. But since I was a young elf, I had not learned that yet.

The man backed away from me. I kept my arrow nocked in my bow, my back against the tree, and said, "Who are you?"

OOC: Sorry I took so long to join! I'm here now though. : )

Corin:

I walk slowly through the woods, stopping periodically to add sticks and other wood to the bundle growing in my arms; the stock of kindling in my cabin nearby was running out, so I was out to gather some more. 

As I come to a stream I begin to hear voices. I look around and catch sight of a light, quite bright and unlike anything I can place. As I walk closer I can see several people grouped around a tree... and a glowing elf? I blink, certain I must have been confused, but the light source still seems to be coming from the elf herself. Now that's a strange sight if I've ever seen one.

I watch them and set down my wood, taking care not to make much noise; I'm some distance away right now, but several of the group had weapons drawn and tensions over there seemed to be running a little high. They definitely weren't traveling companions, and I didn't want to just stumble into a potentially dangerous confrontation.

"Me? A nobody-fire-elf, but if you want something more specific, then I'm Nicholas, a fire elf," I finished, "you should ask them who they are, they're more interesting, and are not so wary as I am."

I turned around and walked away into the forest.

I gaped at the man's retreating back. I turned toward the other people and sighed. I put my arrow back into the quiver on my back. I swung the bow over my shoulder and walked past the girl next to the tree and left as quickly as I could without disgracing myself. I felt foolish for being caught like that in a potentially dangerous situation. I still didn't know if he was a danger. I needed time to collect my thoughts and to calm down.

I climbed up a huge tree, as far as I can go before falling, and stared moodily out at the horizon.

Cierra ((look I kept my promise this time XD )

Cierra looked about the area after a short nap and noticed an entire group had come about. She was not the social type. Her mind began to wander about, watching them. She noticed the group start to go their separate ways and came out of her sleeping place, and called found her way to the forest river slowly. She walked into the sparkling waters, the fish coming to her feet, koi doing a dance for her. Her usually tight, emotionless face cracked a smile. The only creatures who ever made her happy lived in the sea...

She began to feel as if someone was watching her and her small friends though. She sensed a disturbance... "Who is there?" Her voice came off strong, and impowered, yet soft.