What is your favorite book and translation?

Silentflood

I looooooooove Matthew, Ephesians, Colossians and James. Ugh, it's hard to choose between them—but I'd have to go with Ephesians.

NIV is my most favorite translation. It's a little more raw than Message (I feel like if everything is easy to understand, I won't be able to really think about it's meaning and really study and meditate on it), which that version would be my second choice. :)

I looooooooove Matthew, Ephesians, Colossians and James. Ugh, it's hard to choose between them—but I'd have to go with Ephesians.

NIV is my most favorite translation. It's a little more raw than Message (I feel like if everything is easy to understand, I won't be able to really think about it's meaning and really study and meditate on it), which that version would be my second choice. :)

You've got an interesting point there. I've never thought of that. I've always like the MSG because it was so easy to understand. NIV used to be my favorite until I discovered MSG. But you're right NIV will be good to use if you want to think more about what's being said.

You've got an interesting point there. I've never thought of that. I've always like the MSG because it was so easy to understand. NIV used to be my favorite until I discovered MSG. But you're right NIV will be good to use if you want to think more about what's being said.

My fear with the MSG is that it is easy to understand, but what you understand by reading it is not what any of the authors meant to say. I think it rarely captures the true meaning the texts.

Anyway, favorite book is very hard. Almost impossible. But my preferred translation these days is the GNT, aka TEV.

My fear with the MSG is that it is easy to understand, but what you understand by reading it is not what any of the authors meant to say. I think it rarely captures the true meaning the texts.

Anyway, favorite book is very hard. Almost impossible. But my preferred translation these days is the GNT, aka TEV.

So very true 

Guys this website explains why The Message is bad. I saw this article and another one and I'm convinced that the MSG leaves out too many important details and adds "fluff" that is not needed. My best bet is KJV and NIV. Or ASV. (http://fortheloveofhistruth.com/2011/10/07/why-is-the-message-bible-not-safe/)

Guys this website explains why The Message is bad. I saw this article and another one and I'm convinced that the MSG leaves out too many important details and adds "fluff" that is not needed. My best bet is KJV and NIV. Or ASV. (http://fortheloveofhistruth.com/2011/10/07/why-is-the-message-bible-not-safe/)

Yeah, I don't agree with everything in that article (especially on the last point), but I think it makes the point well that the MSG isn't that reliable as a real Bible. That said, I don't think there's much wrong with using it as a devotion aid or lightweight commentary.

I will, though, again recommend the GNT or TEV. It is more modern, accessible, and dynamic than the KJV, but is also in my estimation more accurate and less bland in style than the NIV.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I don't agree with everything in that article (especially on the last point), but I think it makes the point well that the MSG isn't that reliable as a real Bible. That said, I don't think there's much wrong with using it as a devotion aid or lightweight commentary.

I will, though, again recommend the GNT or TEV. It is more modern, accessible, and dynamic than the KJV, but is also in my estimation more accurate and less bland in style than the NIV.

I'll check those translations out. Thank you ;)