Marley

Battle for Solaris OT

Except the battle is probably really far off... or may never happen. 

So once again I'm itching to write and, weirdly enough, seems like some of the new kids might be interested in a game. I'm gonna toss out what's in my head and if folks seem to like it alright we'll move forward. 

Battle for Solaris

dragon-landscape-scenic.jpg

Solaris

Solaris, known to travelers as "The City of Three Kings" is the prosperous capital city of an empire that has been mostly peaceful since it's inception some 150yrs ago. A center of art, learning and culture most upper class Solarians view their city as a paradise. It has it's underbelly, certainly, but most see the city as a perfect ecosystem. If it even could be threatened, it would be a force from outside those glittering russet gates. Sabir's from the north, perhaps, or those pesky Mentari who seem to be selling their wares on every street corner. 

They would never suspect a threat from within. And yet.... the glittering house still shudders in the wind. 

Generations have passed since the original Three Kings agreed to form a bond and end the Dragon's War and only the elderly King Theryn (Called "The King of Flowers" by his subjects) truly remembers the threat that lurks behind the dissolution of that pact. While the young King of the Northern country (Called "The Good Wolf" by his followers) has been away guarding his territorial lands from rogue Sabir tribes, the King of the East (The Red King) eyes the ailing Theyrn as The King of Flowers nears the end of his life without an heir.... or at least not a suitable one. Rumors of a romance between the Good Wolf and the Dragon Sage complicate matters further as to do the exploits of Prince Darius, the Good Wolf's younger brother. 

The Three Kingdoms

The city of Solaris is the capitol of Elindaria. It is located not far from the Western Sea where two great rivers meet. Before Solaris was established as the capital city, Elindaria was ruled by 12 houses... 15 depending on who you asked. These factions still exist and although much of the animosity between them has ceased many feel loyalty to a particular King.... and not always the King that manages their territorial lands. 

The Good Wolf

The Good Wolf's land is perhaps the second most proseprous of the three and stretches north from Solaris along the western sea. They are are a varied people, frigid and tough in the northernmost areas and seafaring ruffians in the southern western sea. It is managed by three houses which quarrel like brothers but would fight together if need be. The Northern People are generally the most accepting of Magickers, which makes sense seeing as their king is one. The Northern people appreciate good music, fine food and strong drink. 

The elementalists of the Northern People work with water and so magickers here are usually able to manipulate water and ice.  This ability is not very uncommon and seems to run along family lines. Some rarer powers that may crop up among the Northern People include healing and shape-shifting. Elemental Healing among the Northern people is very rare but a very powerful gift when it crops up shape-shifting is more common (though still rare). Usually, Northern shape-shifters take the form of large wolves when they transform although it's not unheard of for Notherners to shift into bears or other large predators.

The Good Wolf's flag is a deep blue with a silver orb in the middle representing the moon. Popular clothing colors are blue, black, silver, brown and white. Purple is reserved for nobility or those in positions of power. Wearing skins of animals is common.

The King of Flowers

The King of Flower's territory extends the furthest and is the most prosperous of the three Kingdoms. Most of the land is rolling hills and fields but some extends up to the warm southern sea or out towards the eastern mountains. This Kingdom includes 6 houses of which four are primarily agricultural, one consists of forest dwellers and one which consists of miners. It is difficult to say which house would go wear in the event of a war and only one of the houses has shown support for King Theryn's young Mentari heir. These people are very diverse, but the ones closest to Solaris tend to have tanned skin and smiling faces. Although it varies by house, many of these people are vegetarians and have a deep respect for animals even if they use them. The People of the Flower King are known for their colorful parties and intricate dances that are difficult for a non-native to learn. 

The elementalists of the Flower Kingdom work with plants. Oftentimes, these elementalists will have a particular type of plant they'll have an affinity for and so will be able to "sing" that particular plant into growing however they like. It's no wonder, then, that produce grown in these regions is prosperous. The ability to sing to plants is somewhat rare and so these people often end up in positions of power or prestige. Other gifts among these people include healing, shape-shifting and talking to animals. Healing is fairly common and most villages have a hedge witch of sorts who can heal minor injuries and illnesses (they are not as power as a Water Elementalist healer, however). Shape-shifting is rare in this Kingdom and generally not trusted. The most common form varies by household but deer, horses and birds are the most common. The ability to speak to animals is the rarest of all gifts and currently the only known person to have this gift is the King of Flowers himself. 

The King of Flower's flag is a deep green with six purple roses. Popular colors vary but browns, greens, yellows, gold and purple are all popular. Red is considered unlucky except when worn by healers (but healers often wear red to identify themselves). No colors are restricted based on class but generally the wealthier a person is the more colorful their outfit. Animal skins are considered tacky in some houses and are reserved for special occasions in others. 

The Red King

The Red King's land are in the East and consist of fertile planes and resource rich mountains but recent years droughts in the Eastern lands have put strain on the economy. Technically, this land touches the Eastern Sea but to get to those cities requires a trek through the unforgiving Zyrican desert and so culturally those villages are quite distinct. People in the Eastern kingdom can be warlike and are somewhat hot-headed. They believe in appearances and Eastern Kingdom art, jewelry and architecture are world renowned. This Kingdom consists of three large houses, two of which are firmly loyal to the Red King and one of which, the house of the Southern Plainsmen, could be easily swayed. Although certain houses from the Flower King's territories are on good terms with the Eastern Kingdom, they tend to view outsiders with suspicion. Indeed, the villages Eastern Kingdom is most likely to suffer raids from outsiders be they Ogres, Mentari or Storm Callers. Of all the Kingdoms, this one is the least tolerant of Magic although their own elementalists are regarded as heroes. 

The elementalists of the Eastern Kingdom work with fire. Although this gift is not exactly common, the Red King makes sure he knows about every born elementalist to ensure they recieve the proper training. Other magical gifts are rare but occasionally an an elemental healer will crop up and there are a particular brand of shape-shifters who live on the border between the Eastern Kingdom and the Flower King's Territory who can manipulate fire AND turn into foxes. Although not really considered part of the Eastern Kingdom, sorcerers in the Zyrican desert are often summoners or shades. The Eastern Empire in the past (or maybe currently...) has harbored powerful alchemists and the land is rich with magical objects. The Eastern Kingdom also has rather intimate ties with the Dragon race and often make the most skilled Dragon Riders. 

The Red King's Flag is black with a golden dragon. Typical colors include red, brown, black, gold, orange and yellow. Jewelry and animal skins are both common and are signs of status. Blue and Green are considered "weak" colors. Purple is reserved for young children, for the dead and for those in mourning. The reason young children are often dressed in purple is because it is believed to trick evil spirits and so protect young children.

The Dragon Sage

Currently a female, the Dragon Sage is not so much a Queen as a head monk. She does have small cities (Called "Rooks" and often houseing dragons) scattered throughout the Kingdom she does not have any real lands. Some houses may say they are loyal to her and many merchants or low-nobility (particularly traders and airship pilots) consider themselves part of this unofficial "Kingdom". This is an elected position although there is a mystical element to the selection process. 

The history of the Dragon Sage is important. Before the war, their were no Dragon Riders. Although some individual dragons may have been friendly to humans they were on the whole hostile to the human race. At some point in the midst of the fighting a young child stumbled across an abandoned dragon hatch-ling and raised it as her own. She later went on to found the "Order of the Pale Mother" a lunar cult that generally sought peace and renounced magic with some exceptions notable exceptions (its a rather secretive organisation). When the founder and her dragon were still quite young, they were killed in a way that could be interpreted as martyrdom. The order that grew after that changed face somewhat. Although still largely an agent of peace, an obsession with Dragon partnership grew within the leadership. In the end, powerful leaders from within the Pale Mothers ranks partnered with magicians from the east to form "Dragon Blades" as a way to bond young dragons to their riders. With the power of their own dragons, the three Kingdoms (and that Dragon Sage) were able to drive Dragons (except those bonded to riders) out of the main Kingdom.

Today, the Dragon Sage's Kingdom and the Order of the Pale Mother are still basically synonymous. Although members of the order no longer hold the same prejudices against mystics and magickers they tend to look down on simple elementalists. Strangly enough, Dragons have a powerful magic of their own so while being bonded to a dragon does not give one special powers it tends to enhance any existing magical abilities as well as increase the riders life span. It is rumored by the common that the Dragon Sage has been providing asylum to summoners and alchemists. There are also rumors of a romantic relationship between the Dragon Sage and the King of the Northern Kingdom. 

And then of course whatever trouble Prince Darius is getting into... 

Although Dragon Riders often wear the clothes of whatever Kingdom they were born in, members of the Order of the Pale Mother usually wear white with accents of blue, purple, pink, gold and silver. Moonstones on silver chains or bands are common because they will stifle mystical powers. Something followers believe helps them be closer to the pale mother. 

And I know a lot of that doesn't make sense but eh. It's a start and I wanted to write haha. No profile yet. Just let me know if your interested and if we get enough itnerest we'll move forward. 

Also, if anyone out there wants to critique what I've written (particularly the old RPers) I'd appreciate it. I feel like my ideas arn't totally reaching the page here. XP

Edited by Marley

Cool cool. 

So the list of characters I've mentioned so far is as follows: 

The Good Wolf (Male, 24-30ish idk) - Water Elementalist. Shape Shifter. Possibly married with young kids (but that's negotiable). 

The Flower King (Male, 100-150ish) - Plant Elementalist. Can talk to animals. Widower. Nearing Death. No heir save Kira. 

The Red King (Male, 28-40ish) - Fire Elemtnalist. Married. Probably has children, at least one old enough to be part of the plot. 

The Dragon Sage (Female, 19-28ish) - Closely aligned with the Dragon race (and Dragon Riders) but may or may not be a rider herself. Powerful but no one is quite sure how. If your interested in her shoot me a PM and we can discuss. 

Theryn's Young Mentari Heir (Male, 14-18ish) - A gypsy prince of sorts, Kira was taken in by Theryn several years ago and the aging King has since declared him his heir... an unpopular decision. This one is Mine. 

Prince Darius (Male, 19-28ish) - Younger brother to The Good Wolf. Scholar. Water Elementalist. Rumored Alchemist. This one is mine. 

With the exceptions of Theyrn's Heir and Prince Darius all of these are up for grabs. But! Keep in mind that these are sort of "Key Players" so if you're not sure of your ability to play them I'd just wait. The only one I'm gonna put any actual restrictions on is the Dragon Sage though. Because of the backstory I'd prefer this to be one of the older RPers who I've gamed with before.... in fact I have someone in mind if he's interested. *psst* Logos. Hey Logos!. *throws rock*

In addition, there could be characters connected to these. The wife or child of one of our Kings perhaps, a servant girl, a healer, a Dragon Rider, a far off traveler. Really, the playing field is wide open and none of the slots above HAVE to be filled (I'll play them if I need to) so if you're worried about getting into the swing of things making a character who is sort of just related to one of my main guys/gals might be your best bet. 

Bleh. I still have a few more topics to cover before I post bios. Dragon Knights, The Mentari, Sabirs, Alchemists/Summoners and a bit more into the Order of the Pale Mother I think. Any questions so far? 

For sure! I'm going to be super busy till Friday but I'm hoping to get things really moving then. ^_^

Pretty shnazzy, Ash. x3 Although I noticed you don't use Oxford commas. *dies* 

The main characters all seem pretty srs. I'm afraid I'd ruin your image of a main charrie. xD So, I might wait and see and play a side charrie. *wiggles eyebrows*

Side charries are good too! Drives me out of my main plot! 

I wouldn't worry about ruining your vision though. I'd actually really like someone to take the Red King if their up for a baddie. I would't mind playing the Good Wolf though.... and Theryn is really just a Dumbledalf who will die at a time that furthers plot. 

Alright. So the things I mentioned. 

Sabirs. Sabirs are a race of large humanoid felines that mainly inhabit the Northern mountains (though there are tribes in the south as well). Most Sabir's dislike human's and any form of magic (they are a non-magic race). These guys are fearsome in battle and terrorize many of the Northern cities. In addition, some people may hire Sabir body guards. They are almost universally regarded as bad news. They are seen as violent barbarians and bloodthirsty thieves. Most of the time this isn't far from the truth.

The Mentari - The Mentari are a mostly nomadic people who get by repairing pot's, pan's and other objects when they come into a town... along with a number of other con schemes. They are also known to sell magical items or rare creatures and often have "fair's" of sorts where they distribute their wares. The Mentari are generally very accepting of other races... more so than any other faction. Their tolerance, however, comes at a price as they tend not to be trusted and, indeed, many make a living by thieving. The Mentari are not usually Elemtalists but the people do have their own strange powers. Mentari potions are well known, particularly their love potions and poisons. 

Alchemists/Summoners/Necromancers/Shades - These magickers all work by contacting dark forces (albeit in different ways) and so are almost universally shunned. Although innate talent's help, these are not inherited arts like those of an Elementalist but instead are taught, master to pupil. Unlike Elementalists who work from their own energy, Alchemists (and the others) generally have to "give" something else (blood, materials, life-force, sacrifice, etc..) to complete their spells. Of these, Alchemists are the most common. Alchemists use complex rituals and rules to create "exchanges" with dark forces, summoners use similar ritual to summon darklings/demons/etc, Necromancers summon their soldiers from the world of the dead and Shades give their own body for a demon's use... usually as part of a contract. Alchemists are the most common of the four and although Alchemy is not technically illegal in the city, it is almost universally frowned upon and grounds for arrest. 

In general, elementalists, healers, and shiftings are refereed to as mystic's or magickers. An Alchemist would generally be called a sorcerer or warlock. Mage is a term that can be used for either one but generally denotes exceptional skill. 

The Dragon's War - Long ago, before the three King's formed their pact to rule Elindaria, a war broke out between the magical races. Primarily between human's and dragons. There was much destruction and the world was dark, dangerous. Because much of the destruction during this time came from magic users, this war was colloquially called "The Mage's War" (rather than the Dragon's War) for the first few years after it ended until the Three Kings started encouraging the new name. Many anti-magic movements, including the order of the pale mother, cropped up during this time. It was eventual formation of the Dragon Riders (aided by the invention of Dragon Blades) that turned the tide of the war in the human's favor. 

Dragon Rider's - The Dragon Rider's trace their ancestry to **Still have to think of a name**. The founder of the Order of the Pale Mother. This woman, who claimed to have been led by the moon, found a perfectly white Dragon egg in the forest and, when the dragon miraculously hatched for her, claimed this as a sign. She preached peace and a bridling of magical weapons, but many of her followers saw only the powerful beast she had captured. After her death (interpreted by her followers as a sort of matyrdom) followers of the Pale Mother partnered with powerful Alchemist's and Summoners in the Eastern lands to find a way to bond Dragon's to humans as their fonder had been bonded to her Dragon. Eventually, Dragon Blades were formed. The method involves a strange and mysterious sorcery that forces a bond between Dragon and Rider and creates a sword as a sort of by-product. Dragon's are essentially slaves to their human riders and can be forced to act against their will by someone holding their Rider or, if their rider is dead, someone who has won their Rider's Dragon Blade. Some dragon's are bitter about their enslavement and others don't seem to mind as much. 

Dragon Rider's as they exist today serve mainly as protectors of Elindaria. In theory, they are a sort of neutral party (think the Jedi or something) but of course everyone has an agenda. Riders can be male or female. Although a dragon hatchling can be bonded to a person at any time, things usually work out best if the ritual happens when both dragon and rider are quiet young so potential Rider's usually receive their charges between age seven and fourteen. Dragon's are fairly rare beasts so there are never more than 30 riders in existence at one time. Once bonded with a Dragon, any innate magical ability a Rider has increases and they age much slower (in fact, a few of the original Rider's may still exist). Although it's a secret kept under tight wraps, there have been a few Dragon's who have gone rogue. Some of these had to be killed, others seemed to dissapear into thin air without a trace.

Dragon's come in a variety of shapes and sizes but the ones used by the riders are your standard "European" dragons. The larger a dragon species, the more intelligent it tends to be. The breed of Dragon's the rider's use (the most common type) takes seven years to mature to a size large enough to ride (so keep that in mind if you create a rider). They can speak telepathically to each other and to humans. Dragon's can breathe fire but usually don't gain this ability until they're about 15yrs old (though exceptions happen).  

That would be fine. I have a picture you can use if you would like but you're also free to use your own. 

I know I've been slow guys but I'll get the profile forms up after work today. :)

Alrighty here we go. Try to include as much of the info on the form as you can but feel free to edit the format/order if you want. Delete everything in (( )) . I'll try to get one done with Kira so you can kinda see how they'll look but go on ahead and post your charries if you've got em. 

Title: ((ex.."The Good Wolf", "The Dragon Mage". Not all characters need titles but feel free to make one up!))

Name: ((Your characters name))

Occupation: ((What they do. Ex: King, Dragon Rider, Maid, Healer, etc..."))

((This is where you put a picture if you have one))

Appearance: ((Distinguishing features. Scars? Tattoos? Does they walk with a limp?))

Talents/Abilities: ((Including, but not limited too, magical abilities))

Personality: ((This doesn't need to be too long))

History: ((Pretty explanatory))

Connections: ((Connections to other characters in the game, if any.))

Other: ((Anything else we need to know.))

Title: The Red King

Name: Toma Itou  

ff22263dd89578e2330491627d8be66b.png

Appearance: Limps with left foot. (Yes... that's Fire Lord Ozai. Is that ok?)

Talents/Abilities: Fire Elementist of the highest order 

Personality: Noble, views his intentions as good, sarcastic.

History: You'll see

Connections: He's the bad guy. He's connected with everyone he's battling.

Other: Beware of third-degree burns.

Is this OK?

Edited by paraskeve

Title: The Winter Mage Knight

Name: Suldin Windrune

Occupation: Mage in the far northern hemisphere and controls anything icy or cold

image.jpg

image.jpg

Appearance: Jet black hair, beard/gotee, smaller mustache.

Talents/Abilities: Turning into a snowstorm, conjures up ice dragon familiar, can create a massive wall or dome of ice. Can freeze enemies from inside out. Is a werewolf.

Personality: Human: Kind, humorous, deadly, respectful, chilvalrous, quick, selfless

Werewolf: Ruthless, quick, silent, deadly

History: Suldin Windrune came from an Unknown Iceland in the farthest of north. His family was a very very rich family and had much influence over their kingdom. Suldin discovered his Mage abilities when he was about the age of 12. He used them for a ton of good here and their but never missed a chance at using it on the people who teased him. He then at the age of 18 discovered a school of mages which he decided to attend for four years. When he was done he moved to his current location in the Far North, just across the border of Solaris. He came to Solaris to look for his long lost family whom he found out in the most unhappy way.

Connections: N/A

Other: Known werewolf. Engage with caution.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Head Hunter

Name: Marissa "Skrely" Windrune

image.jpg

Appearance: Tall with long blonde hair.

Talents/Abilities: She is one of the most highly regarded bounty hunters/assassins in Solaris. She has had many contracts. All of which were successful and made her very rich.

Personality: Ruthless, kind in most cases when unprovoked, caring, respectful, humorous.

History: Marissa is the avid wife of Suldin Windrune. Late one night in her and Suldins palace she had gotten kidnapped many enemy troops. 2 years later she is still missing and attempting to survive. She had gone through excruciating torture which nearly wiped her mind of any past experiences.. Even her marriage was forgotten. Though she still wears her golden wedding ring and only knows of Suldin by a single engraving on the ring which spells out "Marissa+Suldin=Love"

Connections: Wife of Suldin Windrune

Other: Known assassin, don't intimidate her.

Edited by Bryce B.

@Bryce. Just remember that the action of this game is taking place in Solaris. The fact Suldin is from outside of Solaris (in the far Northern reaches of the Northern Kingdom) is fine but he'll want to be in Solaris for some reason to interact with the others. Also! The Ice Dragon Familiar summoning. It's fine, but keep in mind how summoning (which is considered Alchemy) works in this game whether his intentions are good or not, he's contacting darkness to use that kind of magic so even if he has good intentions it's gonna be frowned upon. 

@Paraskeve. Your profile is just fine but remember that once we start I'm going to want a couple of sentences per post. I'm trying to make this game beginner friendly but I'm gonna set a guidline that each post should be about four lines. :)

Both look good! Welcome aboard! 

Edited by Marley

Title: The Good Wolf

Name: Argento Deliveno

cdea6d8545720f6ad36e6713bf9b5022.jpg

Appearance: He has a scar across his back.

Talents/Abilities: Water Elementalist and Shape-shifter 

Personality: Kind, Gentle, and Quiet, but also capable of being Dangerous, Cruel, and Cunning.

History: None.

Connections: None

Other: None.

((Is this ok?))

Edited by Delores Stariana

Tomorow. Probably early evening. I'm gonna get my characters up and I want to give Jazzy, Munster and Paperbagfaze (all who have expressed interest in this game) a chance to respond if they want to. 

I work full time and I'm on Pacific time. Patience! 

Working on my characters now and THEN will work on the opening post.