Battle for Solaris OT

Marley

Sorry everyone for my absence.  October was busy for me IRL, and now I'm trying to do Nanowrimo, so I can't promise the best productivity, but I'll try to keep up.

Dragon riders, Lunora, Kira of the Mentari, and a Milo reference?  This game is like a trip down memory lane. :D  In honor of that...

The Dragon Sage

Name: Mei-ling Yin

Occupation: Dragon Sage (or is it Mage?), High Priestess of the Order of the Pale Mother

Appearance:

Mei-ling.jpg

Mei-ling is lovely and delicate. Her appearance is unusual and exotic in Solaris. She has long black hair, dark brown eyes, and a porcelain complexion. She wears her hair in elaborate styles, and wears shimmering white silk gowns intricately embroidered with symbols of the Dragon Riders and the Pale Mother.

Talents and Abilities: Elemental Magic, Life (healing, shape-shifting, and some non-lethal defensive powers, such as apatropaic magic for banishing, warding off, and defending against evil spirits and magical forces).  Illusion magic: Mei-ling can create limited, but realistic illusions.  For example, she can create an illusion of a fire or freezing attack that feels real while the illusion is active, but causes no actual injury.

Mei-Ling can shape-shift into a dragon. This form is roughly human-sized (not counting the wings).  The head is sleek, with a fan of crystals spreading behind it.  She has a long swan-like neck, a sleek body with opalescent white scales and gold scales going down the belly.  The wings look feathered, but the "feathers" are scales, and the longer outer scales are gold.  Her "breath weapon" in this form is a prismatic spray that accelerates healing, but can temporarily dazzle someone's vision.

Mei-ling has also been taught a primarily defensive martial art that resembles a hybrid of Wing Chun and Aikido.  Since taking over as Dragon Sage, she has started learning swordsmanship, but has only a year of study in the art.

Dragon: Sight, a 1000 year-old Great Wyrm Dragon, female.

white-dragon.jpg

Personality: Mei-ling is curious and adventurous, with a childlike sense of wonder. She is a bit too innocent--perhaps even naive--for the situation she has been thrust into. As a practitioner of the healing arts, Mei-ling is ethically forbidden to kill or maim. She can use her magic and martial-arts skills to stun, paralyze, knock unconscious, hypnotize, or generate convincing illusions (including the illusion of pain and injury) in self-defense. Despite her bright, upbeat attitude, she is beginning to feel hopelessly out of her depth as Solaris' troubles worsen.

History: Mei-ling was born and raised in the Jade Temple, a community of priests and priestesses located on an island in the Western Sea.  She was raised collectively along with other children, and taught the Temple's magical and healing arts.  When her skills grew enough for her to be Initiated as a full member and begin her first quest, she went to Solaris as a "physician-errant," a traveling healer.

During her travels, she was approached by a penniless old woman in ragged clothes, who begged for care in her dying days.  The woman often spoke in riddles and koans, and told allegorical tales that hinted at mystical truths, and stories of the Dragon War.  She and Mei-ling would sit and have long conversations about philosophy, mysticism, and myth.  At other times, the woman seemed to slip into dementia and behave in ways that strained Mei-ling's patience.  Mei-ling did her best to heal her, but despite her efforts, the woman's condition continued to worsen until she could no longer get out of bed. 

One day, the woman looked at Mei-ling with kind eyes, and patted her on the shoulder.  "You have done well.  My time has come.  You have earned this," she said, producing a roll of ragged cloth that she had hitherto kept away from Mei-ling ("My treasure!  It's my treasure!  You want me to die so you can take my treasure!").  "No," Mei-ling protested once again.  "I am not after your treasure.  If you have someone you want me to give it to, I will try to find them."  The woman shook her head with a wry smile.  "I was that convincing, was I?" she said.  "No, this is for you.  It...was always meant for you."  She unrolled the cloth to reveal an astonishingly beautiful sword whose hilt was formed in the shape of a dragon with its wings spread to become the cross-guard.  The dragon's head stretched onto the ricasso, and its eyes were gleaming crystal.  "I saw you...in a vision.  I foresaw...  You must keep the sword.  Sight will come to you..." she said, then breathed her last.

After seeing to the woman's burial, Mei-ling kept the sword, and went out into the mountains to be alone so she could mediate and grieve.  As time passed, she began to feel magic stirring in the sword, but she could not figure out what sort of magic it was, or what its purpose could be.  Then, one morning she woke to the sound of thunderous wing-beats and a whirlwind stirring a blizzard of cherry blossoms in a vortex.  She opened her eyes and looked up to see a gigantic white dragon circling overhead.  Then, it dove straight for her.  Before she could react, the dragon spread its great wings and landed in front of her.

~So.  You are very young.  Almost a child.  You shall have to do.~  It was an ancient voice, yet wise, like a mysterious temple half-buried in sand might talk if it could.  Or a deeply-learned great grandmother.

"Do what?"

~Lead us.  She has taken her final flight, yes?  I am Sight.  I was bonded to her in her time.  Now I am bonded to you.  Come,~ the dragon thought to her, lying her head on the ground so Mei-ling could mount up on her neck.

"Lead?  I'm only an Initiate in my Order.  I...have no leadership experience at all!"

~So you are not eager to take command?  The prospect of power over dragons does not set your soul afire?  Good.  Maestlyn gave you the Sword.  It accepted you.  I accept you.  Come, there is not much time.~

Mei-ling was brought to the Rook of the Dragon Sage and presented to the Dragon Riders and the Order of the Pale Mother as their new leader.  Not everyone among them is pleased to have an inexperienced outsider as the new Dragon Sage, and Mei-ling worries that she may not be up to the task of dealing with subversion and intrigue in her own ranks, especially as things seem to be taking a dark turn in Solaris. 

She has a Palantir, with which she keeps in contact with the sages of the Jade Temple from time to time.

Connections: Mei-ling has tried to remain on friendly terms with all of the kings and major nobles, but she feels most comfortable in the company of the Good Wolf.  She's starting to develop romantic feelings for him [?], but doesn't yet know if he feels the same way.

The Jade Temple: The Jade Temple is a great temple complex located on an island in the Western Sea.  It has had a peaceful relationship with the kingdoms of Elindaria for generations, remaining neutral in conflicts between them.  Every citizen of the Temple is also a priest or priestess, trained in one of the many "Paths" available (Healer, Defender, Scholar, Wind Dancer/Pilot, Biomancer, etc.). The people of the Jade Temple do not have dragons. Instead, they are renowned for their graceful airships and skilled pilots.

They are also unique in their ability to fashion and use Palantirs, jade spheres inscribed with magical sigils that allow instantaneous communication. The Jade Temple does not have any discernible hierarchy. Using their Palantirs, the priests and priestesses of the Temple "meet" and make decisions as a body in a mysterious process known as the Syntegration. No one outside of the Temple knows exactly how this works, as outsiders are not permitted to own or use Palantirs.

Little is known (to outsiders) about the religion of the Jade Temple. Though it does send young priests and priestesses out on "quests" to develop their magical talents and grow spiritually while helping others, establishes hospitals, orphanages, and shelters for the poor and dispossessed, the Temple does not actively try to convert others to its world-view. Instead, one must pass through a difficult period of training as an Initiate before one can become an Adept and be entrusted with the power to make and use a Palantir. 

---

Marley, if you have a different idea in mind for the Dragon Sage/Mage (such as if you want her to be "darker" in outlook), let me know and I'll write a different bio, or you can write one for her.  This bio is kinda halfway being done on a lark, lol.

Edited by Logos

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jazzy - Yah. Everyone can keep their old characters, if they wish (or switch if they wish) I just fleshed out the Kings a bit more so you could see the rivalries between the Red King and the Good Wolf..... plus it was kinda bugging me to have them represented by Lord Ozai and Luke Skywalker (no offense). 

The purpose of the restart is to have us better coming into the action. The scene will be roughly this: In response to seeing Dragons on the horizon (the ones who were traveling with the Good Wolf as his guard) the city of Solaris is in a flurry of activity. The Good Wolf has returned from the North victorious over the ruthless Sabirs (at least temporarily) and a festival of sorts has sprung up to welcome him back to Solaris.... but the news the Good Wolf carries will not be so jovially received and as King Theryn and King Toma rider through the city to the Northern gate, Danger may be lurking in the shadows. 

We're starting off with two groups. Think Red Group (those coming from the city with Toma and Theryn) and Blue Group (those coming to the city with Argento). Everyone should start with or close too one of these two groups but other than the Kings people can choose where they want to be. My thoughts are this though. 

Red Group

King Theryn

Kira

King Toma

Rina (likely riding near Theryn)

Blue Group

King Argento

Suldin (I think it makes sense for Suldin to be traveling with this group for one reason or another). 

I'm not sure sure about Darius atm and I think Richard, Elena and Mei-ling could all go either way. 

And Logos, you're fine.... and good catch at me switching back and fourth between Mage/Sage. XP Sage is fine, doesn't matter either way. I love that you have her gifted in Illusion magic and how you put her with Sight. As for her being "darker" I don't think that she herself is necessarily, but that there is a dark faction of sorts within the order of the Pale Mother itself. Not sure if we'll even get to this element of the storyline so its whatever haha. I probably haven't thought this storyline out as much as I should have though so I'm flexible. 

Also, I'm not gonna write a bio cause I'm lazy but King Theryn looks like this... though with more green and gold than purple and blue. As for personality, think old, wise, a bit batty but beloved by his children and subjects. For powers he can sing to plants to make them grow and, perhaps more usefully, communicate with animals to an extent. 

Edited by Marley

Theryn

Theryn...gazed at the great dragon who quickly morphed into a beautiful young woman.

Oh, for clarity's sake, Mei-ling does not morph into a "great" dragon, she morphs into a small, roughly human-sized one.  Her great dragon (Sight) is not there, because Mei-ling would not want Sight to loom over the King and the others and seem threatening and/or spook their horses.

Title: The Winter Mage Knight

Name: Suldin Windrune

Occupation: Mage in the far northern hemisphere and controls anything icy or cold

Appearance: Jet black hair, beard/gotee, smaller mustache.

Talents/Abilities: Turning into a snowstorm, conjures up ice dragon familiar, can create a massive wall or dome of ice. Can freeze enemies from inside out. Is a werewolf.

Personality: Human: Kind, humorous, deadly, respectful, chilvalrous, quick, selfless

Werewolf: Ruthless, quick, silent, deadly

History: Suldin Windrune came from an Unknown Iceland in the farthest of north. His family was a very very rich family and had much influence over their kingdom. Suldin discovered his Mage abilities when he was about the age of 12. He used them for a ton of good here and their but never missed a chance at using it on the people who teased him. He then at the age of 18 discovered a school of mages which he decided to attend for four years. When he was done he moved to his current location in the Far North, just across the border of Solaris. He came to Solaris to look for his long lost family whom he found out in the most unhappy way.

Connections: N/A

Other: Known werewolf. Engage with caution.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Head Hunter

Name: Marissa "Skrely" Windrune

Appearance: Tall with long blonde hair.

Talents/Abilities: She is one of the most highly regarded bounty hunters/assassins in Solaris. She has had many contracts. All of which were successful and made her very rich.

Personality: Ruthless, kind in most cases when unprovoked, caring, respectful, humorous.

History: Marissa is the avid wife of Suldin Windrune. Late one night in her and Suldins palace she had gotten kidnapped many enemy troops. 2 years later she is still missing and attempting to survive. She had gone through excruciating torture which nearly wiped her mind of any past experiences.. Even her marriage was forgotten. Though she still wears her golden wedding ring and only knows of Suldin by a single engraving on the ring which spells out "Marissa+Suldin=Love"

Connections: Wife of Suldin Windrune

Other: Known assassin, don't intimidate her.

Might as well bring this couple back. Or I may end up using different char. Prob. Will make new ones. Edited by Bryce B.

Talents/Abilities: She is a shapeshifter. She can turn into anything or anyone if needed.

I'm not the GM (so I don't get thumbs-up/down on this), but this seems overpowered to me, for a character who's (presumably) not going to be the Big Bad.  E.g., she could shape-shift into one of the kings and declare war, then get out of sight and turn into a dragon that looks like his and set the city on fire, etc..  Or shape-shift her way through the Court, turning everyone against each other.

The other shape-shifters in the game so far (IIRC) can only shift into one or maybe a few other (animal) forms, rather than having a general, all-purpose shape-shifting power that lets them impersonate other people (especially if her power can "change her clothes" when she shifts).  A person with a power that impressive would probably also need something in her background explaining why she's "just" a bard, rather than the most feared warrior/assassin in the known world, or Elindaria's new Queen. :)

Depending on how you actually plan to use the power in the game, you might want to think of some limitations that can let you do that, while toning down the power so it doesn't create plot holes whenever she gets into a dramatic situation ("Why did she let that guy arrest her instead of just turning into a Stone Giant and kicking his butt?").

You'll find Vilja in the Bannered Mare in Whiterun(this is a town in Solaris I made if that's alright). Yes, over time it will turn out that she also has another, secret, reason to be in Solaris.

As I understand it, Solaris is a city (the capital city of the kingdom of Elindaria), so she wouldn't need to be in another town called Whiterun. :)

Here she is singing about a land told about in legends called Tamriel

Nice!  Maybe she could have as one of her powers the ability to "choir" her voice (perhaps as a sub-use of her shape-shifting power, altering her larynx and vocal cords to generate the effect) as occurs in the song?  Plus it could be kinda cool if she could sing rounds by herself. :D

Edited by Logos

I'm not the GM (so I don't get thumbs-up/down on this), but this seems overpowered to me, for a character who's (presumably) not going to be the Big Bad.  E.g., she could shape-shift into one of the kings and declare war, then get out of sight and turn into a dragon that looks like his and set the city on fire, etc..  Or shape-shift her way through the Court, turning everyone against each other.

The other shape-shifters in the game so far (IIRC) can only shift into one or maybe a few other (animal) forms, rather than having a general, all-purpose shape-shifting power that lets them impersonate other people (especially if her power can "change her clothes" when she shifts).  A person with a power that impressive would probably also need something in her background explaining why she's "just" a bard, rather than the most feared warrior/assassin in the known world, or Elindaria's new Queen. :)

Depending on how you actually plan to use the power in the game, you might want to think of some limitations that can let you do that, while toning down the power so it doesn't create plot holes whenever she gets into a dramatic situation ("Why did she let that guy arrest her instead of just turning into a Stone Giant and kicking his butt?").

As I understand it, Solaris is a city (the capital city of the kingdom of Elindaria), so she wouldn't need to be in another town called Whiterun. :)

Nice!  Maybe she could have as one of her powers the ability to "choir" her voice (perhaps as a sub-use of her shape-shifting power, altering her larynx and vocal cords to generate the effect) as occurs in the song?  Plus it could be kinda cool if she could sing rounds by herself. :D

Ah. Whiterun is a city her family started. And yea, I'll prob. just make it so she can Shapeshiftinf into just animals.

Talents/Abilities: She can use shouts (Dragon Shouts (THUuM), also referred to as simply Shouts or Thu'um in the Dragon language, are an ancient form of magic prominently used in Skyrim during the late Merethic and early First Era, but have gradually become obscure. Shouts use the vocalization of specific "words of power" to create powerful magical effects, usually for offensive purposes. Each Shout is made up of three words. However, one or two words of a given Shout may be used, but the effect is correspondingly less powerful compared to the full force of the word.)

Magic in this universe functions one of two ways. Basically, you have Elementalists (who control water, earth or fire and those respective gifts) and you have Sorcerers (Alchemists/Shades/Necromancers) that dip into the dark/evil side of magic to gain their power. Shape-Shifters and Healers exist under each element, but they work in different ways (so a Fire Healer would work differently and have different strengths than an Earth Healer). Both shape-shifting and healing are "extra" talents. Elementalists don't really have spells or words of powers, their gifts are more movement or energy-focus based (think Avatar the Last Airbender). Sorcerers/Alchemists may be more word based but their power isn't specifically tied to dragons. 

If you want your character to more or less be "good" I'd suggest making her an elementalist. I'll break down each element super quick. 

Fire: Manipulates fire and heat. Sometimes has healing abilities. Rarely has shape-shifting abilities (but when they do they shift into Foxes).

Water: Manipulates water and ice. Rarely has healing abilities. Sometimes has shape-shifting abilities (usually wolves, occasionally bears or other large carnivorous mammals)

Earth: Manipulates earth and plant matter. Often has healing abilities. Rarely shape-shifts (but when they do, it's usually deer, rabbits or other herbivorous mammals). 

Elementalists can only specialize in ONE element. 

Sorcerers/Alchemists: Essentially these guys are dipping into a sort of "dark" magic. They use spell or summoning rituals to dip into the world of the demonic to gain power. Exactly what these powers are can vary, but I still don't want them to be too over powered. This power is not necessarily associated with dragons because dragons arn't necessarily "bad" in this universe. They're just more bestial (albeit intelligent). You're character doesn't necessarily have to be evil to dip into dark magic, but it IS evil in this universe and if characters dip in too much there will be consequences. Sorcerers are not "born" like Elementalists are they're made so you can be an Elementalist AND an Alchemist or you can be someone who ONLY practices alchemy.

Notice I didn't mention shape-shifting into Dragon's even though Logos's character does this. The Dragon Sage is functioning with another type of magic. You notice that each of our Kings represent and element and so the Dragon Sage represents a "fourth King/Element" of sorts. Although others may posses similar skills, it would be rare enough that I don't want it other charters with that skill set popping up right now. 

No need to massivly overwrite. Just remember that I did not base this universe on Skyrim. In fact I've never even played Skyrim and this universe predates the game (I had Sabirs before Bathseda had Kajjiit) so things function differently. :)

Magic in this universe functions one of two ways. Basically, you have Elementalists (who control water, earth or fire and those respective gifts) and you have Sorcerers (Alchemists/Shades/Necromancers) that dip into the dark/evil side of magic to gain their power. Shape-Shifters and Healers exist under each element, but they work in different ways (so a Fire Healer would work differently and have different strengths than an Earth Healer). Both shape-shifting and healing are "extra" talents. Elementalists don't really have spells or words of powers, their gifts are more movement or energy-focus based (think Avatar the Last Airbender). Sorcerers/Alchemists may be more word based but their power isn't specifically tied to dragons. 

If you want your character to more or less be "good" I'd suggest making her an elementalist. I'll break down each element super quick. 

Fire: Manipulates fire and heat. Sometimes has healing abilities. Rarely has shape-shifting abilities (but when they do they shift into Foxes).

Water: Manipulates water and ice. Rarely has healing abilities. Sometimes has shape-shifting abilities (usually wolves, occasionally bears or other large carnivorous mammals)

Earth: Manipulates earth and plant matter. Often has healing abilities. Rarely shape-shifts (but when they do, it's usually deer, rabbits or other herbivorous mammals). 

Elementalists can only specialize in ONE element. 

Sorcerers/Alchemists: Essentially these guys are dipping into a sort of "dark" magic. They use spell or summoning rituals to dip into the world of the demonic to gain power. Exactly what these powers are can vary, but I still don't want them to be too over powered. This power is not necessarily associated with dragons because dragons arn't necessarily "bad" in this universe. They're just more bestial (albeit intelligent). You're character doesn't necessarily have to be evil to dip into dark magic, but it IS evil in this universe and if characters dip in too much there will be consequences. Sorcerers are not "born" like Elementalists are they're made so you can be an Elementalist AND an Alchemist or you can be someone who ONLY practices alchemy.

Notice I didn't mention shape-shifting into Dragon's even though Logos's character does this. The Dragon Sage is functioning with another type of magic. You notice that each of our Kings represent and element and so the Dragon Sage represents a "fourth King/Element" of sorts. Although others may posses similar skills, it would be rare enough that I don't want it other charters with that skill set popping up right now. 

No need to massivly overwrite. Just remember that I did not base this universe on Skyrim. In fact I've never even played Skyrim and this universe predates the game (I had Sabirs before Bathseda had Kajjiit) so things function differently. :)

My shouts just push my enemy away, allow me to sprint fast for a split second, and my skin hardens

But see that's not how magic in this world functions. This is a post by post roleplay game in a set universe, not a video game. There are no points, and any battles you have will be strictly descriptive. I'd suggest making Vilja an elementalist. An elementalist controlling say fire could, in a way, "push back" lesser enemies with flame (after all, I think if I saw someone shooting flames at me I'd jump back too!). 

This is less about you being overpowered at this point (and I really appreciate you dialing back btw!) and more about having your character fit within the universe. :)

Hm. I'm not gonna add an "air" element, but if you wanted you could have her control fire or water and then have her push hot(fire) or cold(water) air towards her enemies. As for the shouting, maybe it helps her concentrate or whatnot. 

However, what I DON'T want this to turn into is her being untouchable in battle. I'll permit pushing gusts of air though. ^_^

Hm. I haven't thought about it that much honestly! 

My thought would be that Fire Elementalists would sort of generate their own heat. While cold might not be a problem (they can warm themselves up!) water and snow might be. 

And I'm sorry I'm being so slow to respond to you Para. I'm waiting for Munster to post so I can figure out where Kira is with everyone. :)

Hm. I'm not gonna add an "air" element, but if you wanted you could have her control fire or water and then have her push hot(fire) or cold(water) air towards her enemies. As for the shouting, maybe it helps her concentrate or whatnot. 

However, what I DON'T want this to turn into is her being untouchable in battle. I'll permit pushing gusts of air though. ^_^

Air is an element. And she ain't usin fire. Might I remind you shes clumsy