Sign in to follow this  
Delores Stariana

Religious Freedom

Looks like people will have to stop treating others like sub-humans now. I sure hope we can survive this overwhelming persecution. 

Personally I think we are. It seems they think it only applies to Muslims now

Please cite any event that has ever occurred in the universe that supports any word of what you just wrote in any way.

Muslims forcing us to abide by sharia law

Sorry, I should have said: "Please cite any event that has ever occurred in the universe that supports any word of what you just wrote in any way, really".

Sorry, I should have said: "Please cite any event that has ever occurred in the universe that supports any word of what you just wrote in any way, really".

I think he's referring to outside the US (which isn't what we're debating).

But anyways, I don't think any one is losing religious freedom, we just have more people realizing we need religious tolerance. 

This is a non issue. Really.

All we are doing is allowing more religious tolerance to religions that aren't Christianity. You know, so they can have religious freedom too.

That was kinda the whole point of people coming to America.

This is a non issue. Really.

All we are doing is allowing more religious tolerance to religions that aren't Christianity. You know, so they can have religious freedom too.

That was kinda the whole point of people coming to America.

They taking away our bacon TOWR....our bacon!

Personally I think we are. It seems they think it only applies to Muslims now

Religous freedom goes to any religion out there (including Muslims). I doubt that it all applies to "Muslims only".

Religous freedom goes to any religion out there (including Muslims). I doubt that it all applies to "Muslims only".

It seems people freak out when the Muslims rights are abused. But when Christians rights are taken away, nobody flips out and treat it like a dear being shot

It seems people freak out when the Muslims rights are abused. But when Christians rights are taken away, nobody flips out and treat it like a dear being shot

When has either of those things happened in recent memory? You're just making crap up.

Christians still have their rights. I don't recall anything happening in America that christians have lost their rights. I have actually seen people freak out because somebody killed an animal before.

When has either of those things happened in recent memory? You're just making crap up.

What about people who go to jail because it's against their religious beliefs to serve homosexuals? And what about schools that set aside prayer rooms for Muslims but Christians aren't allowed to pray at the school?  Isn't that taking Christians rights away? If it isn't, then please  explain to me what is, I would honestly like to know.

Christians have been silently prosecuted in recent years by special interest groups who have a huge influence on society. The entertainment industry has influenced what we watch and except for years. In cities all over the U.S. it is allowed to teach buddism, Muslem, but you cannot teach Christianity in the classroom. My daughter is assigned a book about Buddism right now to right a report. I am a volunteer at school and am told I can't share my beliefs on campus.

So what do you do. You invite people to our homes and have prayer at dinner, have pictures of Christ on the wall and be a good example of a happy family. The problem is too many Christian get angry and it turns into an argument we usually don't win. Christ had patience for all people races and religions. He blessed those who asked for help and healed anyone who needed to be healed.

We, Christians can still have an influence as long as we are positive and are following the spirit of kindness, not contention.

What about people who go to jail because it's against their religious beliefs to serve homosexuals? And what about schools that set aside prayer rooms for Muslims but Christians aren't allowed to pray at the school?  Isn't that taking Christians rights away? If it isn't, then please  explain to me what is, I would honestly like to know.

I don't think Muslim prayers that exclude Christians happen, or at least not that I've heard of. I think that would be very hypocritical, since they fought against prayer in school, because christian prayer was sort of forced. Also, is it really against our religious belief to not serve Gay people? I don't understand at all how that demonstrates the love of Christ, or helps any situation really.

I don't think Muslim prayers that exclude Christians happen, or at least not that I've heard of. I think that would be very hypocritical, since they fought against prayer in school, because christian prayer was sort of forced. Also, is it really against our religious belief to not serve Gay people? I don't understand at all how that demonstrates the love of Christ, or helps any situation really.

You can love em and not serve em. What you can do is tell them how they aren't right for being gay and that's it's a sin and that they can repent

You can love em and not serve em. What you can do is tell them how they aren't right for being gay and that's it's a sin and that they can repent

"What you can do is tell them how they aren't right for being gay." And watch that person get hurt or even draw them more away from Christ. A lot of people think most christians are hypocrites and homophobes to begin with. It is not against the bible to serve/wait on gay people. Not serving them imo,sounds like something Christ wouldn't do. Jesus loved everyone no matter what,and putting these prefrences on people is just wrong. Edited by Crosses

To start off, let's get the official definition of "religious freedom" or "freedom of religion".

As stated in Article 18(1) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, religious freedom is:

"Everyone shall have the right to freedom of thought, conscience, and religion. This right shall include freedom to have or to adopt a religion or belief of his choice, and freedom, either individually or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in worship, observance, practice, and teaching

The International Religious Freedom Act (IRFA) defines five things as a direct attack on religious freedoms.

Arbitrary prohibitions on, restrictions of, or punishment for:

(i) assembling for peaceful religious activities such as worship, preaching, and prayer, including arbitrary registration requirements;

(ii) speaking freely about one's religious beliefs;

(iii) changing one's religious beliefs and affiliation;

(iv) possession and distribution of religious literature, including Bibles and other sacred texts;

(v) raising one's children in the religious teachings and practices of one's choice

If you take this definition of religious freedom and the five articles listed above, you can justify the religious freedoms of specific religions being taken away piece by piece. For example, in most Middle Eastern countries, being a Christian is not only extremely dangerous but also illegal. In the United States, Christianity is under attack because the most commonly held beliefs go against the social norm of this age. So yes, our religious freedom is being taken social, but legally I would say no until there are laws passed against Christianity.

In the United States, Christianity is under attack because the most commonly held beliefs go against the social norm of this age. 

...you do realize that Christianity is the social norm in the US, right?

@ Ananas, the USA has never been a christian state, and christianity is not the social norm for the USA now, more like being a homosexual is. 

@ Ananas, the USA has never been a christian state, and christianity is not the social norm for the USA now, more like being a homosexual is. 

I would suggest you read The History of the American People, by Paul Johnson. Johnson isn't even an American but the Christian influence on America can not be denied. Many of the early colonists that came to America were Christians and tried to found the colonies on Christian principles. How are you defining a Christian nation?

@ Delores (My qoute-thingy isn't working)

The USA is not really friendly to christians, nor are there a lot of christians in the USA. Us, as christians, already find it hard to practice our beliefs.  Take the NW as an example; there aren't a lot of christians, we're a rarity there. xp  

In the past, it was friendly to christians, but not at all now.

A christian nation, in my view, is one that has christian activity in the past, one that was/is friendly to christians, and generally speaking, one that has more christians than muslims or hindus. etc. 

Also, defining what a christian nation is a grey area... 

Edited by paraskeve