liveforjesus

Non-Christian Boyfriend

I have had a thing for this boy since I was eleven. He's in my drama class and is super sweet. When I was eleven I had the normal middle school 'crush' thing but now that we are both old enough to date, I've been looking at it a different way. One thing is, I'm not sure he's a Christian and that bothers me because somewhere in the Bible it says to not yolk yourselves with unbelievers or something like that. I really like him and he likes me and he's a good person but I don't want to go against my beliefs...help?

If you don't know for certain whether he is a Christian or not, why don't you try talking to him about it?

I personally wouldn't automatically dismiss anyone if they weren't Christians, although I would ideally prefer a Christian boyfriend because hopefully they would respect my morals and then our difference in beliefs wouldn't be a problem.

You could either keep him as a friend and never go any further, or you could look at him as a potential boyfriend.  I don't know what your views on dating are, but I'm guessing you're not looking at marriage just yet!  Relationships can really change a person's views on life, so you could even use this opportunity to try and bring him to the faith.

I would suggest you try and find that Bible verse though, since you don't seem too sure of exactly what it says.  It's possible it doesn't mean exactly what you think it does.

Best of luck!

Missionary dating does not work! Just, FYI, every girl I ever met who went into a relationship with a guy who wasn't a believer, it didn't end well. Especially with teenagers. Oh, the DRAMA.
You can't enter a relationship with the "I'm going to change his mind!" mentality.   You will fail. He might hate you, it will not bode well. Only god can change someone's heart.

I'd talk to him first. And I mean REALLY talk to him, get at those deep issues. See where he stands morally, and decide from there. You're young. There's no reason to rush into a relationship during the highschool years.. 

If you two are morally incompatible, then he has to stay in the friendzone. Your relationship with God is priority over anything romantic you pursue.  Yes, God called us to not be unequally yoked (emotionally involved, dating, soulmates BFF etc) with someone who's belief system is not the same as yours. We tend to absorb the morals and values of those around us. If you're dating someone who's beliefs are different, are worldly, you may find yourself in a compromising position that could have easily been avoided. A lot (not all, but alot.)  of teenage boys are all about getting in girl's pants. Even the "sweet, good person" ones. Be aware, and go into this, or any possible relationship with your eyes wide open. Love and infatuation have a bad habit of making us blind to a man's flaws.

Boyfriends come and boyfriends go, but Jesus is forever.  And, God willing, you'll meet Mr. Right at the right time in your life.

Missionary dating does not work! Just, FYI, every girl I ever met who went into a relationship with a guy who wasn't a believer, it didn't end well. Especially with teenagers. Oh, the DRAMA.

You can't enter a relationship with the "I'm going to change his mind!" mentality.   You will fail. He might hate you, it will not bode well. Only god can change someone's heart.

I'd talk to him first. And I mean REALLY talk to him, get at those deep issues. See where he stands morally, and decide from there. You're young. There's no reason to rush into a relationship during the highschool years.. 

If you two are morally incompatible, then he has to stay in the friendzone. Your relationship with God is priority over anything romantic you pursue.  Yes, God called us to not be unequally yoked (emotionally involved, dating, soulmates BFF etc) with someone who's belief system is not the same as yours. We tend to absorb the morals and values of those around us. If you're dating someone who's beliefs are different, are worldly, you may find yourself in a compromising position that could have easily been avoided. A lot (not all, but alot.)  of teenage boys are all about getting in girl's pants. Even the "sweet, good person" ones. Be aware, and go into this, or any possible relationship with your eyes wide open. Love and infatuation have a bad habit of making us blind to a man's flaws.

Boyfriends come and boyfriends go, but Jesus is forever.  And, God willing, you'll meet Mr. Right at the right time in your life.

Wise words. :)

Really try to understand what Boogles is saying. She offered you some good advice!

Likewise, I want to state something about 2 Corinthians 6:14(unequally yoked verse). This verse is not to be treated as a suggestion but as a command. It's there to protect you from any potential destruction that comes with being in a relationship with a non-believer. You need to take notice of that. :)

You said that perfectly.

My sister is in a relationship with a non Christian guy even tho she is a Christian.

I'm kinda confused if I should confront her about it or what.

I mean I really think this guy is dragging her down but I'm scared that she's going to think that it's none of my business.

Even tho she's trying to drag me down too.

But I don't think that relationships with non Christians would work out so well.

It's not your job to change him.

It usually doesn't end well honestly. I've dated two people who weren't Christian and I was. It causes conflict, trust me, it does. 

I dated a boy a few years ago who was an atheist and he didn't treat me very well and sometimes mocked my beliefs. After we broke up, he spread a few rumors about me that I can't seem to get away from. Based on personal experience, I would say to ask him of he's a Christian before you let this go any further. If he isn't, it's not your job to change him. Hope this helps, lovely ❤