T.O.W.R.

Decision based gaming.

Decision based games are becoming more and more popular and I'm loving it. So far I have played;

The Walking Dead Game

The Walking Dead Game Season 2

The Wolf Among Us

Life is Strange (Super pumped to play the final chapter tomorrow)

Until Dawn (Easily my favorite of the bunch.)

You could also kinda include the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series on the list buuuut...

Any recommendations or thoughts on these types of games?

I tend to find Tell tale games a little annoying because it's more an illusion of choice than actual choice, but they're fun to watch let's plays of.

If you're interested in story based decision games, consider looking into King's Quest. It's an old game, but they've recently redone it, and I've heard good things. 

So I just beat "Life is Strange".

Not sure if "beat" is the right word though. Are you supposes to feel heartbreak at the end of it? Now, of course, I feel like I must go through and make different decisions. But I doubt that the game will end any better.

Ugh. I hate that I love these games. It's like subjecting yourself to emotional torture for fun.

Knights of the Old Republic, 1 and 2. Without a doubt my favorite game with moral choices. They did it right way before Tell Tale became popular.

I can second that; Knights of The Old Republic is one of my all time favorite RPGs. 

I'm finding Shadowrun: Dragonfall to be quite excellent as well. There is a ton of story and conversation, and a lot of tricky decisions to be made. And pretty much any skill you invest into will unlock interesting and useful dialog trees at some point.

Tell tale games mess with your mind after a bit of playing,

having second thoughts on what to say.

Have you tried "Heavy Rain" its one of the games that

was in comparison to Life is Strange. I love it

Tell tale games mess with your mind after a bit of playing,

having second thoughts on what to say.

Have you tried "Heavy Rain" its one of the games that

was in comparison to Life is Strange. I love it

I have, actually. I beat it just a few days ago. It was definitely cool, but It wasn't nearly as fun as some other games I've played. But just yelling "Shaun" repeatedly in only three different tones was probably one of the funniest things I've seen in a video game.

....But just yelling "Shaun" repeatedly in only three different tones was probably one of the funniest things I've seen in a video game.

Literally the Best Part of the Game!!! I think I replayed it

just to do that chapter all over again.

I don't know if "Deadly Premonitions "would count, but thats also

another one, a little twisted if you ask me.

I really wanted to like Heavy Rain but David Cage is just dire as a writer. It would probably come off better if he wrote in French, or at least got actors who came from where they're supposed to but even the overall plot makes no sense and is silly cliche dirge. It doesn't even particularly work as a game, there isn't any consistency in your role as a player as you sort of skip between the character, director and fourth-wall observer.

If you don't mind text adventures 'Choice of Games' release some rather excellent stuff, particularly ones such as A Study in Steampunk, Choice of Robots, Tin Star and Wise Use of Time. They're presented really basically but a lot of them have a really nice level of branching narrative and writing.

I really wanted to like Heavy Rain but David Cage is just dire as a writer. It would probably come off better if he wrote in French, or at least got actors who came from where they're supposed to but even the overall plot makes no sense and is silly cliche dirge. It doesn't even particularly work as a game, there isn't any consistency in your role as a player as you sort of skip between the character, director and fourth-wall observer.

If you don't mind text adventures 'Choice of Games' release some rather excellent stuff, particularly ones such as A Study in Steampunk, Choice of Robots, Tin Star and Wise Use of Time. They're presented really basically but a lot of them have a really nice level of branching narrative and writing.

I'll have to check these out. For sure.

So are any of you interested in Telltale's Batman? I'm not a fan of the Bat, but I'll be playing for sure. They've also announced Walking Dead Season 3 (after the Michonne episodes) and a Marvel game next year. Square Enix is in talks for a Life Is Strange 2 which I have mixed feelings about. Most importantly though is Until Dawn 2. I can't wait to see what Supermassive comes up with.

I know I said I wouldn't include Bioware games, but... I am so excited for Mass Effect: Andromeda. Mass Effect is my favorite video game series ever, and to hear the developers say that the game is going to be even larger in story and scale than Dragon Age: Inquisition makes me even more excited.

If you guys could have your studio of choice make a Decision Based Game based on a movie, TV show, comic, other game... what would you choose? What story would you want?

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I have something relevant to add.

I beat Telltale's "Game of Thrones" and I honestly hated it. It's tightly written story but that's about it (The characters are written terribly.) The characters are just awful. Ramsay Bolton was the only character that I even remotely enjoyed and he was a freaking psychopath. (Also, apparently he's the most hated character in the TV show soooo....)

The worst part about the game is that no matter what you do the game makes you think that it's the wrong choice. Everything you do makes people hate you even more than they already do. Then the only character that has a decent chance at living gets written into a hole and it's frustrating.

I also beat Until Dawn for the 4th time and still ran across scenes I've never seen before. This game is amazing.

"Vampyr" is another decision based game coming out soon that has definitely gotten my attention. I still have a soft spot for Vampires and I can't wait to see what happens in the game. I also think that the team behind "Life is Strange" are the people making it, so it's probably going to be good.

Long Live the Queen is kind of a decision-based game. Really, the mechanics are more about efficiently developing strategic stats based on your knowledge from previous playthroughs. Still, the first few times you play, when you have no idea what's coming, it maintains the illusion of moral choice. Then you die, quickly and horribly, because the game and royal politics generally are completely indifferent to your goals and sense of honor :'D Even if you want to get a morally uplifting ending, you have to plan cynically ahead of time and hurt people off-screen.

You know, I'd never looked at it this way before, but Long Live the Queen is kind of subversive about decision-based games <<

Edited by Chris-M