liveforjesus

Confederate Flag Disruption

It's just a flag, an image. I fail to see why the powers that be are in such a tizzy over it. I can get why it was taken down off of government buildings, because of its past. But teenagers clothes?  C'mon. This is dumb.

1) This is over a month old, everyone's already forgot about it :P

2) The school is entirely reasonable to prohibit offensive clothing in its dress code.

3) However, if it's true that "students were told to remove Confederate flag bumper stickers from their cars" then the school is out-of-line (in that alone).

4) It's still racist. If someone wants to be racist then whatever, but don't demand that the rest of society get on board.

Same thing with the Nazi flag. Except the civil war is longer ago.

I wouldn't wear one myself, but neither would I have a problem with anyone else wearing one.

Sorry, only posted because it's from my hometown so yeah :)

You don't need to be sorry. There is nothing wrong with the post. It's just the forum is rather divided on the issue.

It's a symbol and symbols hold the power to offend.

It's the idea that the symbol represents (or is associated with) that makes it offensive. Just profane words are symbols for intentions, you would more than likely be offended by flags waving obscenities or perhaps one of Jesus being stabbed with a spear in an audacious sense.

Symbols are dangerous things and must be treated as such 

This is the kind of argument my parents made about games like Spin the Bottle or Tarot cards, or movies like Harry Potter. I think line of logic is easily abused by either side just to say something no one can disagree with using other forms of argumentation. 

Edited by Pointer

I'm not sure how this line of logic can be applied to Spin the Bottle or Tarot cards. Can you explain?

they symbolize something evil.

Tarot cards are superstitious and symbolize a feeling of sometihng greater than God. etc.

I've heard some of it XD