Sign in to follow this  
Short

Why did God allow Herod to kill the babies in the New Testament?

It's just a question I've had. It kind of saddens me when I think about it. Many will say it was for the greater good, but what really was the good outcome? Jesus didn't die, why did the others die? No I'm not one of the skeptics who think God doesn't exist. It's just a question I've had

Free will. It all goes back to where man messed up in the Garden of Eden. Ever since then people have been doing bad things with their free will. Don't get me wrong, free will is a great thing, you just have to know how to use it. And Herod felt his power threatened, so he used his free will in a horrible way. 

I'm not a huge fan of the free will argument. But I would like to point out that there is no fundamental difference between God allowing this compared to any of the other awful things that have happened in history.

Also, note God allows evil to be so we can feel pleasure and happiness.

Evil is not a 'thing'. It is a state of being without 'good'.

Biblical/other evidence of this "fact"?  I want to see how this viewpoint came to be, and what backs it up, please and thank you. :)

Some sort of combination of freewill and possibly what situation will lead to God's glory increasing?  But, as Caleb said, I don't see how what Herod did is any worse than the stuff that went on in the past, wars, the Holocaust, mass genocide, or what goes on today with kids and other people. Murder, rape, kidnapping, sex slavery, abuse,(depending on your political stance, abortion)

Also, note God allows evil to be so we can feel pleasure and happiness.

That doesn't seem Biblical. I can't think of any support. Also, since when is evil needed to experience God? Do not infants in good homes authentically experience their mother's love and care before they ever suffer?

There are some things that can be drawn, if you've studied apologetics.

God is all good. So why would God create evil?

Well, how can evil be 'created'?

Evil is not something you can actually feel, or touch...it is simply an absence of good...

To be created, it has to be a 'thing'.

That dog was created, it is a thing.

The rocks were created, they are things.

Evil is not a thing, it is something that is truly a mystery as to why it fully exists, but from circumstances, we can say that God allows evil so we as humans can feel pleasure and happiness.

I'll pull out the actual excerpt later. I'm moreless testing my study of apologetics :P

but from circumstances, we can say that God allows evil so we as humans can feel pleasure and happiness.

All of the rest of your argument doesn't seem to lead to this point. This point seems randomly thrown in.

Perhaps it was so that we could see later on in history that this really did happen. I'm sort of spectulating here. I think that perhaps God allowed this to happen, so that future events could happen.

Biblical/other evidence of this "fact"?  I want to see how this viewpoint came to be, and what backs it up, please and thank you. :)

I've heard what Jazzy is talking about before, I believe it is originally attributed to Augustine. The idea is that evil is insubstantial so thinking of it as a "thing" is misleading. It's kind of a stab against your standard good vs. evil / dualism dynamic but I don't think that it neccesarily follows that God allows evil for us to experience him. God is life/goodness/trueness that which lacks God is death/badness/falsness. 

I also think that saying "I don't see how this is different than the holocaust" is ultimatly super helpful either, however, because then you get the same "Why did God allow the Nazis to kill the Jews?" The problem of suffering is something I think should bother Christians from time to time.... even if there's no good answer. *shrugs*  

Eh, I'm gonna have to hop on Fox's free will boat here, and agree that this is the contributing reason for God not putting a stop to Herod.

In response to the free will defense: could God not have stopped Herod in a way besides violating free will? Why not, for example, have him take a tumble and go into a coma for a while?

...really?

Yes. Is my sig scaring everyone?

Edited by paraskeve

I don't really think there is a reason as to why the Lord agreed to make it happen. I only know that there is one verse in the bible that I can quote .

Isaiah 55:8-9

8"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. 9"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.…

We don't need to know because, the Lord knows. And secondly, think about Jesus's testimony. Would it have been as powerful as it is now if it didn't happen? Just think about it? Not only did God protect his son till the time was right, but he also raised his son out of death! I can tell you that if Herod didn't kill all those boys than God wouldn't have had to protect Jesus, and then the greatest testimony ever wouldn't have been as great as it is now. 

But don't take that as answer. Rather ask God, and I'm sure he will answer you when the time is right.