Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Hora.J

Can one be saved if he only accumulates good deeds without doing evil but does not believe in God?

56 posts in this topic

Belief and faith are two sides of the same coin. A person cannot do good works in their life without believing in God, even if they are an atheist.

A person cannot do good works in their life without believing in God, even if they are an atheist.

They can if I hold a gun to them.

Now, you might say that  they're not really doing good works in that case because the intentional structure is wrong--genuinely good works are motivated by faith, not by force. OK, sure. However, this would mean that genuine faith does not always attend the appearance of good works. In fact, it seems quite difficult to observe the faith you've described in a meaningful way. How do we know it exists in anyone, let alone in the atheist professing to have none?

Thus, I'd argue that belief in anyone's faith, including your own, is itself a leap of faith. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. If a Greek philosopher claims to be seeking the good, and his actions bear out his claim, I'll tend to believe him even if he gets doctrine wrong.

Edited by Chris-M

They can if I hold a gun to them.

Now, you might say that  they're not really doing good works in that case because the intentional structure is wrong--genuinely good works are motivated by faith, not by force. OK, sure. However, this would mean that genuine faith does not always attend the appearance of good works. In fact, it seems quite difficult to observe the faith you've described in a meaningful way. How do we know it exists in anyone, let alone in the atheist professing to have none?

Thus, I'd argue that belief in anyone's faith, including your own, is itself a leap of faith. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. If a Greek philosopher claims to be seeking the good, and his actions bear out his claim, I'll tend to believe him even if he gets doctrine wrong.

My God, you totally misunderstood me. I am not saying that atheists cannot do good works. I was merely making a cheeky Platonic-Hegelian statement. If God is the true, the good and the beautiful, then all belief in the true, the good and the beautiful is a belief in God. So, therefore, all those who believe in the Good, eo ipso, believe in God.

Which is why I make a horrible Christian. So long as someone believes in the Good, the True and the Beautiful, and lives their life in accordance with those obligations, I am not much of a stickler for specific doctrine.

Edited by Wesker

My God, you totally misunderstood me. I am not saying that atheists cannot do good works. I was merely making a cheeky Platonic-Hegelian statement. If God is the true, the good and the beautiful, then all belief in the true, the good and the beautiful is a belief in God. So, therefore, all those who believe in the Good, eo ipso, believe in God.

Oh, I got this. However, I'm skeptical that we have any satisfying way of knowing whether anyone believes in the Good. It seems like a not-very-interesting criterion since it only applies in theory, unless it's just a reason to hope for good in people regardless of religious belief, in which case I agree.

Edited by Chris-M

Oh, I got this. However, I'm skeptical that we have any satisfying way of know whether anyone believes in the Good. It seems like a not-very-interesting criterion since it only applies in theory, unless it's just a reason to hope for good in people regardless of religious belief, in which case I agree.

Damn functionalist!

No because the only way to heaven is through the cross, through Jesus Christ

I mean their is no way we could be perfect unless we are Jesus