Sign in to follow this  
Jesusismyticket

Has Technology hurt or helped us?

I finally have decided to make a debate about this. Basically, it is all technology in general.

While social media has allowed many good people to meet, there was a time we didn't have such widespread media, not even socially. Do you feel it has hurt our ability to interact which each other without a device? Has it made us numb to things we should not be numb to? What about the fact so much evil is promoted upon it? I think it is a discussion we can have fairly here.

It's both and mixed and ambiguous, with tons of pros and tons of cons which cannot be easily parsed. No attempt at reducing to a simple answer is allowed.

How has technology such as smartphones and computers helped us? Mention some pros.

Easier communication,, the ability to research stuff in the middle of a cornfield, the ability to create neat printed papers, etc.

I believe it has hurt a lot of people. It has damaged our ability to communicate in real life. Some people I know can only communicate well by texting or by social media. Trying to talk in person is almost impossible. 

It has made us numb to things that we shouldn't be. We see so much evil around us and then when we see it on the internet too, it is driven at us so hard that it makes us not so sensitive to things. It isn't all bad, I'm not saying that. But it can be very harmful.

Edited by Delores Stariana

Really?

I can call 911 in a matter of seconds.

Chemotherapy.

Blood Transfusions.

3D Printing.

Cars.

Spotify.

Prosthetics.

MRI's.

EDM.

Microwaves.

Technology has helped us incredibly. People that find it hard to communicate in person now would have just written letters in the past. Technology, if anything, has made it easier for people to communicate because it alleviates the stress that some people have while talking to people. I used to have anxiety attacks when I would talk to people in person. But messaging them on Facebook eventually built my confidence enough to talk to people in person.

While, of course, people can use technology for ill, it's not something new. How long do you think it took man to figure out he could murder someone with fire?

Tldr. Technology has helped us.

Techonology has helped us and hurt us. There are many pros to techy stuff,but also many cons. It's up to the user on how they use technology. If they want to spend all day on facebook,then that's their loss. If they want to help find cures for diseases and build machines to do so,then that's their gain and you should thank them.

Let us lower the idea then.

Naturally, we know certain technologies in the medical field, etc. HAVE helped us, but let's discuss what has not. Which mainly has to do with entertainment kinds of technology.

With advanced technology, we now have very graphic movies and video games which are so gorey, it makes us numb to seeing blood and horrific sort of things. The online allows us to become too involved in serious incidents that aren't even happening within our area. People are becoming apathetic to evil in the world because "well everyone is doing it" No, the internet is making it APPEAR everyone does it, though you'll come to see that a small secular group does certain things.

With advanced technology, we are now working to have robots do a doctors job, when do we draw a line? We cannot let robots take all our careers, and certainly, there is safety risks involved. Where is the line drawn as too much?

Social media, while it can unite so good people, it can also unite very bad people. It is used to abuse people. Just this year thousands of people have been kidnapped and/or killed by trying to meet someone online, or being found by someone online, because they don't understand that not everyone is who they say they are here. Where do we draw a line of letting our kids online too much? I speak for myself too, as someone who used to be far addicted to being online and got myself into an almost tragic situation.

Social media also allows small, secular groups to have the bigger say. It makes them appear very loud although in the real world you won't find one down the road every single day of your life. While acceptance of course is needed, we wouldn't have so many people going "everybody does it" "look at all the people" Actually, you'll find there is still a large population of people who do NOT use the internet. there is still people like me who do not have a smartphone, and use a landline.

Social media ultimately has hurt our interaction too. We see families who will sit on their phones at a dinner table and not look up or talk to each other. They're too busy liking posts on facebook or instagram. It is also now being studied by scientist that people are becoming addicted to their phones like they are alcohol. It is also proven for some the same sensors in the brain that are pleased by sex are pleased by facebook. Why are we finding happiness in such a temporary, possibly unreal thing? It is one thing to spend some time on it and enjoy conversation, but I learned quickly there is not everyone like me. People can change their identity online and ultimately it can be very unsafe. And we're letting our 8 year olds on tumblr. When does it end?

Nonetheless, a huge pro to technology, I think, is education. The internet can be an amazing educational tool if used correctly.

I don't know about everyone else, but communicating with people online made me much better at communicating in real life. I started out barely being able to carry on a conversation, but by typing I learned how to socialize. I could figure out what to say to people, how to react in conversations, etc.

So in turn, it made me much better at real life socialization. Like training wheels.

Let us lower the idea then.

Naturally, we know certain technologies in the medical field, etc. HAVE helped us, but let's discuss what has not. Which mainly has to do with entertainment kinds of technology.

With advanced technology, we now have very graphic movies and video games which are so gorey, it makes us numb to seeing blood and horrific sort of things. The online allows us to become too involved in serious incidents that aren't even happening within our area. People are becoming apathetic to evil in the world because "well everyone is doing it" No, the internet is making it APPEAR everyone does it, though you'll come to see that a small secular group does certain things.

With advanced technology, we are now working to have robots do a doctors job, when do we draw a line? We cannot let robots take all our careers, and certainly, there is safety risks involved. Where is the line drawn as too much?

Social media, while it can unite so good people, it can also unite very bad people. It is used to abuse people. Just this year thousands of people have been kidnapped and/or killed by trying to meet someone online, or being found by someone online, because they don't understand that not everyone is who they say they are here. Where do we draw a line of letting our kids online too much? I speak for myself too, as someone who used to be far addicted to being online and got myself into an almost tragic situation.

Social media also allows small, secular groups to have the bigger say. It makes them appear very loud although in the real world you won't find one down the road every single day of your life. While acceptance of course is needed, we wouldn't have so many people going "everybody does it" "look at all the people" Actually, you'll find there is still a large population of people who do NOT use the internet. there is still people like me who do not have a smartphone, and use a landline.

Social media ultimately has hurt our interaction too. We see families who will sit on their phones at a dinner table and not look up or talk to each other. They're too busy liking posts on facebook or instagram. It is also now being studied by scientist that people are becoming addicted to their phones like they are alcohol. It is also proven for some the same sensors in the brain that are pleased by sex are pleased by facebook. Why are we finding happiness in such a temporary, possibly unreal thing? It is one thing to spend some time on it and enjoy conversation, but I learned quickly there is not everyone like me. People can change their identity online and ultimately it can be very unsafe. And we're letting our 8 year olds on tumblr. When does it end?

Nonetheless, a huge pro to technology, I think, is education. The internet can be an amazing educational tool if used correctly.

The whole of social media isn't bad. It's certain people in social media that make it bad

Don't you think it's a little strange to pose the question "has technology hurt or helped us" and then limit the discussion to the technology that has not helped us?

Don't you think it's a little strange to pose the question "has technology hurt or helped us" and then limit the discussion to the technology that has not helped us?

I took a con side because most took a pros side. So I discussed how it has not. XD

I think it's weird that it has to be one or the other, I find few things are ultimately good or bad. I think technology is a wonderful thing for so many advancements in medicine an research, but I suppose it has also hurt us by contributing to things like war. 

My highly general and unresearched hypothesis is that technology in general discourages poverty but also diminishes the number of people who can achieve excellence. It tends towards mediocrity where there are lots of consumers and only a few truly great producers. 

For example, consider music. The cheaper production and distribution become, the more people can enjoy high quality music. However, the very low cost that allows for that ease of access also creates a competitive environment where almost everyone lacks the talent to succeed. Furthermore, as specialization becomes more intense and people have to work longer to maintain an edge in their field, it becomes harder for people to pursue music as a serious hobby. Thus, technology creates a very high musical consumer:producer ratio, and I imagine it has a similar effect on all desirable labor markets.

My highly general and unresearched hypothesis is nonsense, however, because there's no way on Earth I'm ever going to be able to expose it to rigorous empirical testing. Same goes for all of y'all who aren't professional economists.

Edited by Chris-M