I didn't see any threads like this here, so I thought I'd start one. If you are thinking of getting a book or reading a book, but don't know how it's going to be, you can just use this thread to ask about it, and if anybody on this forum has read it they can tell you what they liked, and/or what they didn't like, about the book in question, and also if it had any questionable content some people might be worried about.

If nobody answers a post, that probably means that nobody here has read the book in question. But if you have read the book, please feel free to talk about it. :)

I have a book on which I would like to know your opinions before reading it, called Troubling A Star, by Madeleine L'Engle. I have read her book A Wrinkle In Time, and did not end up liking it very much, but this one seems like it might be more my style. Has anybody here read it? What did they like/dislike about it?

I have a book on which I would like to know your opinions before reading it, called Troubling A Star, by Madeleine L'Engle. I have read her book A Wrinkle In Time, and did not end up liking it very much, but this one seems like it might be more my style. Has anybody here read it? What did they like/dislike about it?

I read a Wrinkle in Time. I haven't read the other, I think I actually might own it but haven't gotten around to reading it. Which book are you referring to about reading and liking/disliking? I'm not sure if you're asking about A Wrinkle In Time or Troubling a Star.

This is a good thread, btw.

Does anyone know of a book series similar to elder scrolls

Hmm, that encompasses pretty much all high fantasy so guessing what sort of stories you'd like I would look into:

The Kingkiller Chronicles

The Dragonbone Chair

Bloodsong

Green Rider

The Mistborn series

The Deed of Paksenarrion

Also think you'd like the Demon Cycle series but this may the least Elder Scrolls-y unless you like the darker side of it.

Has anyone read The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Edwards?

I'm starting it now, and it seems good so far.

I read a Wrinkle in Time. I haven't read the other, I think I actually might own it but haven't gotten around to reading it. Which book are you referring to about reading and liking/disliking? I'm not sure if you're asking about A Wrinkle In Time or Troubling a Star.

This is a good thread, btw.

I was asking about Troubling A Star. I'm sorry for not being clear. :)

And thank you. :D

Has anyone read any Dickens besides Hard Times? At this point I have most of his books and don't know where to begin. I've read Hard Times but that's it.

Has anyone read any Dickens besides Hard Times? At this point I have most of his books and don't know where to begin. I've read Hard Times but that's it.

I've read A Christmas Carol, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, and I'm part way through A Tale of Two Cities. If you were considering reading more of Dickens I would suggest A Christmas Carol or Great Expectations. All of Dickens' books are excellent but those are my favorites of his.

READ GREAT EXPECTATIONS

IT IS MY FAVORITE BOOK

10/10

I don't recommend David Copperfield it is so drawn out it is painful.

Oliver Twist is a goodie.

READ GREAT EXPECTATIONS

IT IS MY FAVORITE BOOK

10/10

I don't recommend David Copperfield it is so drawn out it is painful.

Oliver Twist is a goodie.

Ooo, I forgot Oliver Twist that was an awesome story! Not completely as wonderful as Great Expectations though, that was an amazing, well-written, interesting book. XD

I'm thinking I'll go with either Great Expectations or David Copperfield. I'm wanting a good coming-of-age story, and both of those seem to fit the bill.

Or I might go with an early work like Pipwick Papers or Oliver Twist.

I'm thinking I'll go with either Great Expectations or David Copperfield. I'm wanting a good coming-of-age story, and both of those seem to fit the bill.

I still need to find the pipwick papers!

If you want it really long, go with Copperfield.

if you want a shorter one, do Great Expectations.

Copperfield is like 1000 pages, Great Expectations is about half of David Copperfield. XD

Save yourself and read neither ;) 

I still need to find the pipwick papers!

If you want it really long, go with Copperfield.

if you want a shorter one, do Great Expectations.

Copperfield is like 1000 pages, Great Expectations is about half of David Copperfield. XD

Think I'll go with David Copperfield. It was Dickens's favorite of all his novels. That's good enough for me.

Save yourself and read neither ;)

^^

Excluding A Christmas Carol, Dickens's work is an atrocious nightmare to slog through. Give me Faulkner any day.

Edited by Josh (J)

^^

Excluding A Christmas Carol, Dickens's work is an atrocious nightmare to slog through. Give me Faulkner any day.

Faulkner is great, too!

I've read A Tale of Two Cities, which I really liked, and also A Christmas Carol, which I actually didn't like so much.

I would highly recommend A Tale of Two Cities. Great story.

I've read A Tale of Two Cities, which I really liked, and also A Christmas Carol, which I actually didn't like so much.

I would highly recommend A Tale of Two Cities. Great story.

I'm curious. Why didn't you like A Christmas Carol?

I'm curious. Why didn't you like A Christmas Carol?

I'm not too big on those kinds of stories. I don't really like reading ghost stories for some reason. Just my preference, though. :)

Honestly I expected to HATE A Tale of Two Cities because I usually don't like historical themed novels, but I ended up crying at the end. XD quality book.

@ Fox 545, I have read Ender's Game. It is really good.

It has strategy, psychology, and tactics in it; they make soldiers read the book. But if you're creeped out by Hunger Games, then you'll be VERY creeped out by Ender's Game.

@ Fox 545, I have read Ender's Game. It is really good.

It has strategy, psychology, and tactics in it; they make soldiers read the book. But if you're creeped out by Hunger Games, then you'll be VERY creeped out by Ender's Game.

Cool, I enjoyed the Hunger Games, so I might try this out