Noel 1525

Is Pirating music wrong?

25 members have voted

1. 1. Is it wrong to pirate music?

I generally try to avoid pirating music.... but I also try to avoid paying $1.20 a song. Solutions like Spotify (which I pay for to get offline listening), Songza, and Pandora work well for me. I will occasionally rip mp3's from youtube videos if the song (or cover usually) is not available on any of the sites listed above or to download from amazon.  

I only rip from youtube videos if I cannot get the song anywhere anymore XD basically if it isn't on those it probably isn't 'anywhere' XD

Not adding to this argument, but I think this pig is adorable:

piracy-vs-theft.jpg

The pig is adorable. I still hate this graphic with seething venom D: It's one of the most willfully stupid memes on the internet.

Edited by Chris-M

Yes, I would say so.

Unless you already own a legal copy of the music, or if the music cannot be acquired legally (in my opinion). 

I'm just black-and-white, you are shades of grey; nothin I can do about that, so byeeee.

This is incredibly closed-minded. Just throwing that out there.

Legally speaking, there is no uncertain terms about pirating music. It is most certainly wrong, because you're breaking a law. Morally? That's a little different.

I've downloaded countless albums through the site I write for, and they've all been promotional downloads, shared through the community within the site's staff. Only one person reviews it, but 10+ people are getting a free copy. I'm fairly sure any band I've reviewed wouldn't care in the least about me downloading their music for free (legally or otherwise) because I'm giving them free publicity.

When I actually have the money to do so, I buy music. A lot of music. When I don't, I pirate it. I will pirate just about anything I fancy, whether it's new, old, rare, or popular. The word-of-mouth aspect is still there, but the artist isn't getting his 17 cents or whatever from their crappy label. Big deal.

The real crime is how undervalued musicians and artists are by ignoring them, and giving pretty "singers" crap deals for crap albums written by crap writers so labels can shove their crap singles down your throat through crap radio stations who scrape by with crap commercials. CRAP.

I'm sorry, I just feel very strongly about music and how it shouldn't be a business.

Yes, I would say so.

Unless you already own a legal copy of the music, or if the music cannot be acquired legally (in my opinion). 

Exactly right. If you already own a legal copy of something (in any format) you can legally download a back-up. I've 'pirated' albums I owned on vinyl.

This is incredibly closed-minded. Just throwing that out there.

Legally speaking, there is no uncertain terms about pirating music. It is most certainly wrong, because you're breaking a law. Morally? That's a little different.

I've downloaded countless albums through the site I write for, and they've all been promotional downloads, shared through the community within the site's staff. Only one person reviews it, but 10+ people are getting a free copy. I'm fairly sure any band I've reviewed wouldn't care in the least about me downloading their music for free (legally or otherwise) because I'm giving them free publicity.

When I actually have the money to do so, I buy music. A lot of music. When I don't, I pirate it. I will pirate just about anything I fancy, whether it's new, old, rare, or popular. The word-of-mouth aspect is still there, but the artist isn't getting his 17 cents or whatever from their crappy label. Big deal.

The real crime is how undervalued musicians and artists are by ignoring them, and giving pretty "singers" crap deals for crap albums written by crap writers so labels can shove their crap singles down your throat through crap radio stations who scrape by with crap commercials. CRAP.

I'm sorry, I just feel very strongly about music and how it shouldn't be a business.

Yeah, the music industry is a living nightmare for most who invest in it.

Edited by paraskeve

I could kiss you right now. :P

Exactly right. If you already own a legal copy of something (in any format) you can legally download a back-up. I've 'pirated' albums I owned on vinyl.

I do feel if you paid for it once you shouldn't have a need to pay for it again XD when it comes to music that is.

I do feel if you paid for it once you shouldn't have a need to pay for it again XD when it comes to music that is.

Truth

I don't know much about the music industry. I assume musicians have to make a living somehow, but it also seems reasonable that there might be a better system for that than the one we have right now.

What would you suggest? Specifically, are there any countries that have good music law now? If not, were there better systems in the past we can revive? Or do we need to try something altogether new?

Edited by Chris-M

Is printing and selling fan art off the internet wrong?

(Wait... Maybe just printing)

Edited by JKAY