Jesusismyticket

Violent video games

HAH! No I sure ain't my good friend. I live with both, and trust me, there's a huge difference

Way to respond to only the least important part of my post. Don't ignore the rest of it. Are you okay with 50 Shades of Grey?

I find research on the relationship between video games and violence to be ambiguous at best. Some studies show a link between short-term aggressive tendencies and others show video-games to have almost cathartic tendencies on at-risk youth (again short term). My main concern with video-games and kids is mainly overuse. As in, I don't support long-stretch media use in kids under 11-12. Although you can argue multiplayer is social, my main concern with video-games is what kids are missing out on in terms of real-time social feedback. When i was in elementary school, playing multiplayer with someone meant lugging your N64 or Playstation to a friends house and I feel like event his promoted a healthier level of interation than screen/headphone facilitated interaction.

As for adult content, I would generally stick to the ratings provided by game developers. I don't really like the idea of 10yr olds playing CoD and GTA5 but a 15 or 16 year old? Eh. Probably fine WITH full parent permission and understanding of what the game entails and in limited amounts. Again, the need for non-screen based social interaction is important.

There's a caveat though, I think it's hypocritical for those claiming to be Christian to play games under their rated age (give to Ceasar what is Ceasar's) or to spend much time indulging in violent games or explicit games. I don't really care for our cultures glorification of violence (not to mention outright crime and explicit activity in GTA) and think it's something that Christians should generally stay away from on principle.

Way to respond to only the least important part of my post. Don't ignore the rest of it. Are you okay with 50 Shades of Grey?

The book could've done a tiny bit without all the sex and just been like twilight or something.

I find research on the relationship between video games and violence to be ambiguous at best. Some studies show a link between short-term aggressive tendencies and others show video-games to have almost cathartic tendencies on at-risk youth (again short term). My main concern with video-games and kids is mainly overuse. As in, I don't support long-stretch media use in kids under 11-12. Although you can argue multiplayer is social, my main concern with video-games is what kids are missing out on in terms of real-time social feedback. When i was in elementary school, playing multiplayer with someone meant lugging your N64 or Playstation to a friends house and I feel like event his promoted a healthier level of interation than screen/headphone facilitated interaction.

As for adult content, I would generally stick to the ratings provided by game developers. I don't really like the idea of 10yr olds playing CoD and GTA5 but a 15 or 16 year old? Eh. Probably fine WITH full parent permission and understanding of what the game entails and in limited amounts. Again, the need for non-screen based social interaction is important.

There's a caveat though, I think it's hypocritical for those claiming to be Christian to play games under their rated age (give to Ceasar what is Ceasar's) or to spend much time indulging in violent games or explicit games. I don't really care for our cultures glorification of violence (not to mention outright crime and explicit activity in GTA) and think it's something that Christians should generally stay away from on principle.

My mom is a hardcore Christian and yet allows me to play GTA V. The news glorifies the violence

The book could've done a tiny bit without all the sex and just been like twilight or something.

Do you even know the book's plot? The whole point of the book is immoral sex, just like the whole point of GTA is committing the felony called grand theft auto.

Actually Bryce, a lot of modern media and entertainment 'glorifies' violence. This doesn't just include video games, but media and entertainment as an entirety. It promotes many immoral things, and parents today do usually allow their children to over indulge in it. I think Marley has made a very good point about the discussion though. The fact I do feel it is one thing to 'play it', but notice most of these studies are consistent gameplay without moderation. If you want to play 'once in a while' it is one thing, but to play these horrific games on a daily basis does have negative emotional effects on everyone and I think it should be acknowledged more than it is.

My mom is a hardcore Christian and yet allows me to play GTA V. The news glorifies the violence

Also, it's really disrespectful to respond to a long, well thought out post with a one-line anecdote that ignores all of the serious points made.

But there is studies that have shown psychological affects from violent video games on normal game players without any mental issues.

Yes they have done studies.

All proper studies not done by quacks show REAL LIFE aggressive tendencys are universally decreased by video games.

Does your mom really know what's in the game though? Like not just that it's about car-jacking but that nudity and strip clubs exist there. 

Your last sentence is interesting and telling of a disturbing trend among, primarily, more right-leaning fundamentalists and the religious right that you, Bryce, epitomize a bit that has large swaths of people purporting to be Christian seemingly foaming at the mouth at  the thought of violence. Give me a holy war, but more importantly, give me war.  The media news tends to display violence in heavy doses (like moths to a flame), but in my opinion doesn't glorify it like entertainment-media (TV, Movies, Videogames, etc...) does. Rather, the news-media wittingly or unwittingly produces fear un-due amounts while the entertainment-media's fetishizing of guns/violence/war and all generally base (and by base I mean lower level) methods of problem-solving. It's a cycle, you see, an infinity loop. The media produces fear of the "other" fear of blacks, fear of whites, fear of the government, fear of refuges, or terrorists, or "leftists" (using your own buzzword from the last week) which in turn causes people to cling to violent entertainment-media as a way to bolster themselves against that which frightens them. This is taking place o a subconscious level, of course, but sometimes I wonder if we as Christians are commanded to "be not afraid" if clinging to violent things or bolstering ourselves against opposing views (instead of seeking to understand and challenge them logically) really suits us best as Christ's body on earth. :)

All proper studies not done by quacks

This just sounds like another way of saying, "All of the studies which must be correct because they agree with me."

Do you even know the book's plot? The whole point of the book is immoral sex, just like the whole point of GTA is committing the felony called grand theft auto.

That's just the name. Sure you can kill. What's new about that? Nothing. Sure there's swearing! What's new? Nothin. All of this stuff is previously used stuff that is still adound

Does your mom really know what's in the game though? Like not just that it's about car-jacking but that nudity and strip clubs exist there. 

Your last sentence is interesting and telling of a disturbing trend among, primarily, more right-leaning fundamentalists and the religious right that you, Bryce, epitomize a bit that has large swaths of people purporting to be Christian seemingly foaming at the mouth at  the thought of violence. Give me a holy war, but more importantly, give me war.  The media news tends to display violence in heavy doses (like moths to a flame), but in my opinion doesn't glorify it like entertainment-media (TV, Movies, Videogames, etc...) does. Rather, the news-media wittingly or unwittingly produces fear un-due amounts while the entertainment-media's fetishizing of guns/violence/war and all generally base (and by base I mean lower level) methods of problem-solving. It's a cycle, you see, an infinity loop. The media produces fear of the "other" fear of blacks, fear of whites, fear of the government, fear of refuges, or terrorists, or "leftists" (using your own buzzword from the last week) which in turn causes people to cling to violent entertainment-media as a way to bolster themselves against that which frightens them. This is taking place o a subconscious level, of course, but sometimes I wonder if we as Christians are commanded to "be not afraid" if clinging to violent things or bolstering ourselves against opposing views (instead of seeking to understand and challenge them logically) really suits us best as Christ's body on earth. :)

She does. She watches me play it sometimes

Actually Bryce, a lot of modern media and entertainment 'glorifies' violence. This doesn't just include video games, but media and entertainment as an entirety. It promotes many immoral things, and parents today do usually allow their children to over indulge in it. I think Marley has made a very good point about the discussion though. The fact I do feel it is one thing to 'play it', but notice most of these studies are consistent gameplay without moderation. If you want to play 'once in a while' it is one thing, but to play these horrific games on a daily basis does have negative emotional effects on everyone and I think it should be acknowledged more than it is.

No. Real life struggles have a negative impact. Don't go blaming it on a video game

That's just the name. Sure you can kill. What's new about that? Nothing. Sure there's swearing! What's new? Nothin. All of this stuff is previously used stuff that is still adound

So bad stuff is okay just because it's always been around?

She does. She watches me play it sometimes

How could she know about all of the bad stuff in the game if she watches you, and you say you don't do any of those things?

I have done em all and she's seen videos of it. She looked some up before we bought it.

Look I just roll with the current and all

No. Real life struggles have a negative impact. Don't go blaming it on a video game

This debate is about perfectly normal people who are NOT having violence struggles being affected by these types of video games. Real life does, but you cannot deny these sort of entertainments have not been good either.

I have done em all and she's seen videos of it. She looked some up before we bought it.

Look I just roll with the current and all

As my mother always told me about rolling with immorality.

if they all chose to worship satan, would you do it as well?

If they all chose to jump off a bridge, would you jump as well?

As my mother always told me about rolling with immorality.

if they all chose to worship satan, would you do it as well?

If they all chose to jump off a bridge, would you jump as well?

Now I'm not saying they are right. I'm just sayin I've grown sick and tired I just don't care anymore.

You have done all of the horrible things that you claimed earlier not to do? So you do play this game to play with the strip clubs, lap dances, murders, and other shenanigans? Were you lying before?

Also, just because your mom lets you do something doesn't mean it's okay.

Now I'm not saying they are right. I'm just sayin I've grown sick and tired I just don't care anymore.

Bryce, you have a choice.

you can join them, or stand away from them.

I personally chose to stand away from them. As odd as it sounds, I have discovered the only friend I truly need is Jesus. And when I live my life in this form, I actually have found friends. And it is not because I disagree, it is because I have grown more into knowing who I am and what I believe, and I stand for it. People may disagree, but if there is respect, and a person standing for what they stand for consistently, then there is so much more respect.

A reason many like per say, Bernie Sanders. Maybe you don't agree with all he says, but he has been consistent his ENTIRE LIFE on what he feels. Now, I may not agree with everything, but I think that sort of honesty is needed today. You can be a LEADER, or a follower Bryce. I had my follower phase too, it left me more broken than happy though.

Bryce, you have a choice.

you can join them, or stand away from them.

I personally chose to stand away from them. As odd as it sounds, I have discovered the only friend I truly need is Jesus. And when I live my life in this form, I actually have found friends. And it is not because I disagree, it is because I have grown more into knowing who I am and what I believe, and I stand for it. People may disagree, but if there is respect, and a person standing for what they stand for consistently, then there is so much more respect.

A reason many like per say, Bernie Sanders. Maybe you don't agree with all he says, but he has been consistent his ENTIRE LIFE on what he feels. Now, I may not agree with everything, but I think that sort of honesty is needed today. You can be a LEADER, or a follower Bryce. I had my follower phase too, it left me more broken than happy though.

Please don't lecture me. I've had enough of it from people here and they don't have my utmost respect

Please don't lecture me. I've had enough of it from people here and they don't have my utmost respect

Bryce, if you never take wise advice from anyone, you will never grow as a person but instead spend your whole life immature and unable to interact with reasonable people. You will also never grow as a Christian, or spiritually mature, or develop a deeper relationship with Jesus if you refuse to let other people tell you things.

Bryce, to get respect you must give it, and honestly, you give very little respect to anyone. It frustrates me greatly, but I try to show you respect hoping that if you see my respect for another side, maybe you too will see how important it is to respect another view.

Bryce, if you never take wise advice from anyone, you will never grow as a person but instead spend your whole life immature and unable to interact with reasonable people.

I'll listen and take what is necessary, but I find it quite annoying a lot

Bryce, to get respect you must give it, and honestly, you give very little respect to anyone. It frustrates me greatly, but I try to show you respect hoping that if you see my respect for another side, maybe you too will see how important it is to respect another view.

Yea I get that I give little respect. It is like that due to trust issues unfortunatly