Jesusismyticket

Violent video games

Actually, instead of continually making statuses between a certain thing, let us make an actual debate. I am interested in others view as well.

Violent video games are ones that normally involve killing, beatings, etc. Often illegal activity. Some titles are Grand Theft Auto, Assassins Creed, and many rated M roleplay games involve bloody, gorey, violence.

Now, here's a few questions for answer

Do you feel anyone should play a violent video game? Why or why not?

Do you feel that violent video games can affect the mind of the player?

If yes, do you feel this affect might be more permanent upon a child who is still developing, but is allowed to play these games by their parents?

Do you feel violent video games make people numb to violence?

Does it promote violence?

Please try to refrain from a simply yes or no on all these if you want to answer them.

If you show signs of threatening others lives in REAL LIFE. Then no violent games. But if your not, then by all means feel free to play them. No harm done.

If you show signs of threatening others lives in REAL LIFE. Then no violent games. But if your not, then by all means feel free to play them. No harm done.

But there is studies that have shown psychological affects from violent video games on normal game players without any mental issues.

And video games only promote violence to those that are too underage. That's why I believe you should at least be 15 for rated m games and at least 10 for pg-13 games

But there is studies that have shown psychological affects from violent video games on normal game players without any mental issues.

its a minimal number. It was like out of 1000 or something

its a minimal number. It was like out of 1000 or something

Just because a study has a 'minimal' number of people does not mean it doesn't apply to an entire populace.

They have done studies upon people who played NON-violent video games vs. ones that did. the emotional sensors in their brain were affected. The emotion was not triggered as easily. This is a sign of numbness to violence, or apathy to it. My question is, can someone, for instance 10, who is allowed to play these games, have a permanent affect by this? And long term affects are still unknown, but we know it has an instant affect after playing a week of them. Also note a complete lack of emotion creates sociopathy, do you feel a violent video game, with consistent play, can make a small child who plays apathetic, even a sociopath in the future due to the numbness to violence?

Just because a study has a 'minimal' number of people does not mean it doesn't apply to an entire populace.

They have done studies upon people who played NON-violent video games vs. ones that did. the emotional sensors in their brain were affected. The emotion was not triggered as easily. This is a sign of numbness to violence, or apathy to it. My question is, can someone, for instance 10, who is allowed to play these games, have a permanent affect by this? And long term affects are still unknown, but we know it has an instant affect after playing a week of them. Also note a complete lack of emotion creates sociopathy, do you feel a violent video game, with consistent play, can make a small child who plays apathetic, even a sociopath in the future due to the numbness to violence?

Jazzy jazzy jazzy, this is why there is a thing called RATINGS!

Source?

I don't think people should play violent video games at all because it affects the minds. While they may not notice it, you'll start to think more like them. And yes, I know that happens because I've had stuff like that happen and have some friends where things like that happens also. The affect would be more effective on children than adults because it would be started at a younger time and affect their developing mind. Lots of violence in anything begins making people numb and isn't healthy. Violent video games do promote violence a lot. And overall, they are not good for the mind and they are especially not spiritually good. 

I don't know. To some degree I think that violent video games can definitely influence us negatively if we let them, and spend huge amounts of time on them. Honestly, I enjoy playing GTA with my friends. I like getting to drive around a huge open world. I know that there are some bad things in that game, and I am a bit conflicted on that, but honestly I feel I'm mature enough, along with others, to know that it's just a game, and that it really only does damage to us in real life if A. We put huge amounts of time into it B. If we can't understand the difference between the game and reality. 

Of course something to remember would be what defines a violent video game? To some, Pokemon and Mario may even fit that category. I know that's silly, but I think as Christians when it comes to violent video games, we should be weary of how much it influences us. When I first started playing GTA, I put a lot of time into it, and I noticed I did become somewhat more irritable, so I had to step back and only occasionally play it.

I honestly think it's up to the buyer/player.

Personally I like Assassins Creed. It's actually really fun.

Now does it make me feel compelled to dress up and go out with a mace and go some people? No,not at all.

I think it's up to the parent. I actually know a many boys who's been playing COD (Call of Duty) since they were in kindergarten and first grade,and they are still is pretty normal. Not violent or anything. They're just dumb sometimes.

Imo,videos games are meant to pass time,but also escape reality.

Jazzy jazzy jazzy, this is why there is a thing called RATINGS!

Bryce, rated M means 18+. you are playing rated M games at a younger age than recommended, and you certainly are not the only one. I do not currently play any video games rated M, I've seen my grandfather try a couple though and end up returning them.

Also Bryce:

Grand Theft Auto V

Rated M

why?

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs and Alcohol

I am sure you cannot opt out of all of that...sounds like a very poor environment...

Also Bryce:

Grand Theft Auto V

Rated M

why?

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs and Alcohol

I am sure you cannot opt out of all of that...sounds like a very poor environment...

Multiplayer my dear! Half of that stuff doesn't exist in it. People honestly really over react about video games.

Bloodless violence FTW! (Cf. Zelda, Civilization, Age of Kings-ish, Super Smash Bros)

Most of these games have harmless affects. I've played some of these and not been affected. Good play there Caleb.

Multiplayer my dear! Half of that stuff doesn't exist in it. People honestly really over react about video games.

But not everyone plays multiplayer.

I personally do not do multiplayer usually on games.

But not everyone plays multiplayer.

I personally do not do multiplayer usually on games.

. Well still. You can always find back doors around the bad stuff quite easily ;)

Multiplayer my dear! Half of that stuff doesn't exist in it.

Which ones don't exist in multiplayer? Please be specific.

People honestly really over react about video games.

What if I react the exact same way to strong language, strong sexual content, nudity, and moral evil as major parts of a movie, book, or song?

. Well still. You can always find back doors around the bad stuff quite easily ;)

But discussion here, some people do not know 'cheats' or 'backdoors' out of it, nor want to apply such effort. What of those kinds? and how can we be sure it always works?

Still the same reaction. It doesn't matter what is in the game. What matters is how it affects you. And sure, do I think a 10 year old should play GTA, no. But 15 or 16 like me, yea it's fine

Still the same reaction. It doesn't matter what is in the game.

Why? In that case, do you think there is anything wrong with 50 Shades of Grey? if it "doesn't affect you.

What matters is how it affects you.

Everything affects you in important ways whether you know it or not. Every little thing. Period. No exceptions.

And sure, do I think a 10 year old should play GTA, no. But 15 or 16 like me, yea it's fine

I think you're way overestimating the maturity difference between a 10-year-old and a 15-year-old.

This games are not inherently evil in and of themselves when played by someone who is of the appropriate age. For example, when it comes to rated M games, I would be hesitant to allow a young teen to play them but someone who is 15 or 16 would be alright in my opinion but it depends on the individual's maturity. I own a copy of GTA V and have played it a bit. That's the worst game I own as it's mindless violence in my opinion. Assssins Creed is much different I think as there is an actual goal other than racking up a massive body count, and the Medal of Honor series is even more different as you are playing as a war hero, at least the older ones. I'm not sure about the more recent title. Also, I think there's an option to turn off the blood in Assassins Creed. In the end, I think it's up to the parents as to what age their children can play certain games. These games can cause indifference to violence in some individuals but only if played excessively. Personally, I look at it and say "What else could I be doing with this time? Could I be studying now or even infront of the Holy Eucharist in chapel?" If I don't have anything better to do, then I'll play for a bit.

Why? In that case, do you think there is anything wrong with 50 Shades of Grey? if it "doesn't affect you.Everything affects you in important ways whether you know it or not. Every little thing. Period. No exceptions.I think you're way overestimating the maturity difference between a 10-year-old and a 15-year-old.

HAH! No I sure ain't my good friend. I live with both, and trust me, there's a huge difference

Edited by Bryce B.