Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Silentflood

Is it bad that I tend to only read Psalms?

27 posts in this topic

I tend to mainly read psalms because I'm not sure how to start. When I read other books, I tend to get confused or not understand what is going on at all. It's so frustrating because I feel like I should be able to know all the bible stories. I know some from children books that I used to have. But I don't know all of them. I feel like a failed christian haha :/

Psalms are beautiful, and I think it's good that you're at least reading it, but I suggest you try to read a little bit of more of the bible each day. 

Psalms are beautiful, and I think it's good that you're at least reading it, but I suggest you try to read a little bit of more of the bible each day. 

Psalms makes me feel better. I just don't know where to start honestly. There's so much that it's overwhelming.

So I've been reading all the Psalms, over and over again.

Far as full books, I read all of Genesis, Exodus, Psalms, Proverbs, Songs, Revelation, and half of Matthew.

Edited by Silentflood

Psalms are great, but I advise you read some other things. Mark would probably be a good fit.

And don't feel like a failed Christian. That's kinda not a thing.

Psalms are great, but I advise you read some other things. Mark would probably be a good fit.

And don't feel like a failed Christian. That's kinda not a thing.

I'll try Mark. Start from the beginning, or read it sporadically? 

I tend to mainly read psalms because I'm not sure how to start. When I read other books, I tend to get confused or not understand what is going on at all. It's so frustrating because I feel like I should be able to know all the bible stories. I know some from children books that I used to have. But I don't know all of them. I feel like a failed christian haha :/

Psalms is a beautiful book. Don't feel that way. The Gospels are always a good place to start. Personally I prefer Matthew.

I recommend possibly drawing into Proverbs next, they are a little similar.

Psalms are a lot like songs to God, so perhaps it is the musical element.

Idk if you have this book in your Bible, but I always recommend Sirach, such wisdom in it.

I don't have that book :/ But I read all of Proverbs.

I recommend possibly drawing into Proverbs next, they are a little similar.

Psalms are a lot like songs to God, so perhaps it is the musical element.

Idk if you have this book in your Bible, but I always recommend Sirach, such wisdom in it.

I don't have that book :/ But I read all of Proverbs.

okay thats good.

so I know it seems odd but perhaps begin with the Gospel of John rather than the others, John's Gospel has that kind of 'love' wisdom sort of vibe a Psalm message has.

Corinthians has some amazing verses.

Once you read those, maybe brush into Job.

John is probably the best Gospel to start with, but you do have options. Mark keeps everything short and sweet, John is called "The Gospel of Love" for a reason, Luke is just really well written thanks to Luke's background (also my personal favorite), and Matthew has the best description of Jesus' early life.

I recommended Mark because for the most part, Psalms has short chapters and Mark would keep up that pace. But John is also a really good call too.

The Book of Psalms really is a unique and beautiful book. Thing is, you really have to take a different approach when reading Psalms. The Psalms are meant to be both reflected on and prayed. Prayed, because they are actually prayers for when we can't think of anything to say to God. For example, you've sinned and you're sorry for that sin, but don't know what to say. Grab your Bible and flip to Psalm 51, the "Miserere". Feeling joyful? Boom! Shortest psalm in the Bible, 117. Short enough to memorize so that you can pray it any time, any place. Seeking God, but still not sure what to say? Psalm 63 is for you. It starts out "O God, you are my God, for you I long; for you my soul is thirsting." we should meditate on the psalms too though because we need to know what we're praying for. That's kind of important. Read the psalms slowly, speak not only with your voice or mind but with your heart and soul. This is why some choose to chant the psalms. Start with praying the psalms, then move to meditation.

If you want a good starting place for Scripture, read the Gospel according to Mark first. It's the oldest according to tradition, and it's the shortest as well as the most concrete. Although, if you want to meditate on our Lord's Passion, I like the Passion according to Luke the best. It's the most detailed and really paints a picture for me. Job is a great book to read, and so are any of the letters. Of course, all of Scripture is good to read.

There's an ancient practice called Lectio Divina that I recommend. It's important to remember that the Bible isn't just a book on how to live. It's so much more. It's almost like a letter from God to you. There is something that He wants you to see in one passage that someone else will pass over and see something else. He calls to us and speaks to us in the Scriptures.

Dude, no way! Everyone starts somewhere. I know for a fact that all I could read was Psalms at first, so don't feel like a stick in the mud.

I recommend The Message Bible to have on the side if you have trouble understanding something. The Message is written like a story and in a modern language, easy peasy to understand. But don't rely on understanding everything you read—because, well, you simply won't! And that's the fun of it. That's where praying comes in. Ask God about things you don't understand, and do it earnestly. He will listen. :)

Also, Matthew, Mark, Luke & John (the Gospels) are great places to start. 1st and 2nd Corinthians are amazing. By all means, still keep reading Psalms, because it really is a beautiful and meaningful book. It talks on and on about the amazingness of God, and the pains and love these poets and worshippers have alongside their journey with God. It is a book of worship.

I agree with the person above me, that the Psalms are meant to be reflected and prayed, as well. Take it in slowly, because it is a unique treasure—you don't scarf down rich and ultra delicious food, you savor it! :)

okay thats good.

so I know it seems odd but perhaps begin with the Gospel of John rather than the others, John's Gospel has that kind of 'love' wisdom sort of vibe a Psalm message has.

Corinthians has some amazing verses.

Once you read those, maybe brush into Job.

John is probably the best Gospel to start with, but you do have options. Mark keeps everything short and sweet, John is called "The Gospel of Love" for a reason, Luke is just really well written thanks to Luke's background (also my personal favorite), and Matthew has the best description of Jesus' early life.

I recommended Mark because for the most part, Psalms has short chapters and Mark would keep up that pace. But John is also a really good call too.

So much useful info, thanks guys.

I may start with either Mark or John. But I'm glad that I have a gist of what each one contains. I read about half of Matthew in one sitting just because it was so interesting. I'll check out Luke since you said it's well written ;)

The Book of Psalms really is a unique and beautiful book. Thing is, you really have to take a different approach when reading Psalms. The Psalms are meant to be both reflected on and prayed. Prayed, because they are actually prayers for when we can't think of anything to say to God. For example, you've sinned and you're sorry for that sin, but don't know what to say. Grab your Bible and flip to Psalm 51, the "Miserere". Feeling joyful? Boom! Shortest psalm in the Bible, 117. Short enough to memorize so that you can pray it any time, any place. Seeking God, but still not sure what to say? Psalm 63 is for you. It starts out "O God, you are my God, for you I long; for you my soul is thirsting." we should meditate on the psalms too though because we need to know what we're praying for. That's kind of important. Read the psalms slowly, speak not only with your voice or mind but with your heart and soul. This is why some choose to chant the psalms. Start with praying the psalms, then move to meditation.

If you want a good starting place for Scripture, read the Gospel according to Mark first. It's the oldest according to tradition, and it's the shortest as well as the most concrete. Although, if you want to meditate on our Lord's Passion, I like the Passion according to Luke the best. It's the most detailed and really paints a picture for me. Job is a great book to read, and so are any of the letters. Of course, all of Scripture is good to read.

There's an ancient practice called Lectio Divina that I recommend. It's important to remember that the Bible isn't just a book on how to live. It's so much more. It's almost like a letter from God to you. There is something that He wants you to see in one passage that someone else will pass over and see something else. He calls to us and speaks to us in the Scriptures.

Thank you ^_^ 

Dude, no way! Everyone starts somewhere. I know for a fact that all I could read was Psalms at first, so don't feel like a stick in the mud.

I recommend The Message Bible to have on the side if you have trouble understanding something. The Message is written like a story and in a modern language, easy peasy to understand. But don't rely on understanding everything you read—because, well, you simply won't! And that's the fun of it. That's where praying comes in. Ask God about things you don't understand, and do it earnestly. He will listen. :)

I used to read the Message but after a thread I posted on here, I was told that it isn't a good translation. Afterwards, I browsed this article that compared different translations and The Message left out important points and changed certain words. So now I usually use The New King James Version or NIV.

Speaking of translations, I think the HCSB and the GNT (aka TEV) best balance accuracy with readability.

I like the GNT a lot, it's good for a beginner. 

I kind of agree with you psalms is where I always seem to open but I would like to broaden my reading and maybe read phillipians

Edited by Jordandanielle

I kind of agree with you psalms is where I always seem to open but I would like to broaden my reading and maybe read phillipians

Oooh Phillipians is good!