Silentflood

A thread for Crochet/Knitting

Does anyone here crochet or knit?

I personally crochet, I love it. I'm planning on learning to knit at some point. 

I want to make this thread for us to talk about crochet/knitting and the things we make or have made, and other cool things. I just want to talk to others who crochet or knit and to create a space for us.

Ah! I should get my mom to read this thread! She LOVES knitting, and is really, really good at it. 

Ah! I should get my mom to read this thread! She LOVES knitting, and is really, really good at it. 

hey, I don't mind if you don't mind xD

I love knitting! I don't do it whilst I'm away at uni, but I'm looking forward to getting some done over the Christmas break. I'd like to potentially knit some scarves/hats etc. for the refugees. 

What do you like the crochet, Silent? 

I love knitting! I don't do it whilst I'm away at uni, but I'm looking forward to getting some done over the Christmas break. 

What do you like the crochet, Silent? 

You can call me Janelle :)

I like to crochet hats, scarves, and shawls. Although, I do want to crochet a blanket someday. 

What about you, what do you knit?

You can call me Janelle :)

I like to crochet hats, scarves, and shawls. Although, I do want to crochet a blanket someday. 

What about you, what do you knit?

I'm Katy :) 

I usually do simple things like hats or scarves, blankets etc. Sometimes I just knit for the sake of it, really! 

Para's mom here (you can just call me Quinault)

I have been knitting for about 20 years. I couldn't crochet past a blanket edge to save my life. I've tried, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Recently I made the baptismal set for our youngest (7th) child in September. I am working on a Dr. Who scarf for Para, a top-down seamless cardigan for one of our Ugnaughts (Para's 2 and 3 year old brothers), a shawl for a gift exchange in a lovely alpaca, and working really-really-really hard not to start another baby blanket.

I was going to try and post pix of my projects, but I don't feel like going thru the process (diapers to change, math to teach) so go to Ravelry and look for Quinault and you can see my projects. 

Edited by paraskeve

I'm Katy :)

I usually do simple things like hats or scarves, blankets etc. Sometimes I just knit for the sake of it, really! 

It's so relaxing, sometimes I crochet just for the sake of it. I use it also as a tool to calm my anxiety or relax me.

Para's mom here (you can just call me Quinault)

I have been knitting for about 20 years. I couldn't crochet past a blanket edge to save my life. I've tried, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Recently I made the baptismal set for our youngest (7th) child in September. I am working on a Dr. Who scarf for Para, a top-down seamless cardigan for one of our Ugnaughts (Para's 2 and 3 year old brothers), a shawl for a gift exchange in a lovely alpaca, and working really-really-really hard not to start another baby blanket.

I was going to try and post pix of my projects, but I don't feel like going thru the process (diapers to change, math to teach) so go to Ravelry and look for Quinault and you can see my projects. 

I'm not familiar with Ravelry

That's similar to me with knitting. I tried learning a few weeks ago (someone was trying to teach me), and it was so hard. Sounds like you're pretty busy haha.

Para had me check back on this thread.

Ravelry is a website dedicated to fiber artists. There are gazillions of patterns, forums, yarn database, and project galleries. This is my profile: http://www.ravelry.com/people/Quinault

Edited to add: You would have to register to see my profile and projects. I highly recommend any knitter/crocheter to register though. The sheer volume of free patterns is astounding.

Edited by paraskeve

Para had me check back on this thread.

Ravelry is a website dedicated to fiber artists. There are gazillions of patterns, forums, yarn database, and project galleries. This is my profile: http://www.ravelry.com/people/Quinault

Edited to add: You would have to register to see my profile and projects. I highly recommend any knitter/crocheter to register though. The sheer volume of free patterns is astounding.

I just made an account, my username is JanelleAliyah. I added you as a friend.

@Janelle

I knit for the same reason. Our 3 year old has a lot of health struggles, and I have a beyond horrible relationship with my mother. So I have a fair amount of stress, and not many outlets to vent it. Knitting calms me, and I quite literally need to do it every day. For me it is prayer. Since I am Eastern Orthodox, I practice the Jesus prayer while knitting to calm myself. If I had been born later than I was, I likely would have been diagnosed as something like ADD/ADHD or even Aspergers.

Para is an awesome kid, but I am sure that some of you have noticed that she isn't exactly your typical teen; some of that is just because she is awesome, a lot of it is because we her parents are so incredibly strange. 
Edited by paraskeve

Got the friend request and confirmed it. Para is the girl wearing the chocolate watch cap (I call her Miss O most places, and Tiffany Bauer on FB because she isn't allowed to use her legal name online until she is 18).

Got the friend request and confirmed it. Para is the girl wearing the chocolate watch cap (I call her Miss O most places, and Tiffany Bauer on FB because she isn't allowed to use her legal name online until she is 18).

Aww she's so pretty  :thumbsup:

Well, I think all my kids are pretty awesome. :) I'll add a picture of the whole gang.

Now there is a photo in projects under the heading "Offspring".

Edited by paraskeve

I knit. I love knitting! I also crochet....if you can call it that. I'm learning. I'm not very good though.

I love how knitting is two needles, and crochet is one. But once you learn to do one of them, the other is hard to do lol. Like I'm having trouble learning to knit.

I love how knitting is two needles, and crochet is one. But once you learn to do one of them, the other is hard to do lol. Like I'm having trouble learning to knit.

Oh, neat. I have several friends and even my nieces can do one but not the other. I'm not sure why it is, but it's harder to learn once you know one.

Edited by Delores Stariana

Oh, neat. I have several friends and even my nieces can do one but not the other. I'm not sure why it is, but it's harder to learn once you know one.

Yeah lol. I even met someone and she taught me to knit, I showed her crochet. She gave me a pair of knitting needles that I still have. Anyways, it was so hard with two needles. I don't know how you guys do it.

Anyways, it was so hard with two needles. I don't know how you guys do it.

I feel the same way about crocheting. How do y'all manage to have the patience for it?! lol

I thought they both work at the same pace.

I feel the same way about crocheting. How do y'all manage to have the patience for it?! lol

Knitting is essentially a single stitch done either backward or forward. Crochet doesn't make logical sense to me; a half double should mathmatically be a single, but it isn't.

-Q

Knitting is essentially a single stitch done either backward or forward. Crochet doesn't make logical sense to me; a half double should mathmatically be a single, but it isn't.

-Q

You can do backward and forwards in crocheting as well

I love to crochet! I recently crocheted a cat-in-the-hat style hat for a very young relative of mine, and she loved it. I'm not very good at it, but I'm improving, I think. Practice helps.

I love to crochet! I recently crocheted a cat-in-the-hat style hat for a very young relative of mine, and she loved it. I'm not very good at it, but I'm improving, I think. Practice helps.

Practice definitely does help. I love crocheting.