Bryce B.

Star Wars:The Force Awakens; The Official CTF Discussion!

So in the wake of the new and probably this years movie, what do you think! Any theory's about it?

Well here is a video overviewing the trailer!

Watch then proceed to comment! I'll post later

I'm definitely looking forward to this movie.

(If you know spoilers, please use the "spoiler" tag when posting them here. Or just don't post them. Thanks!).

I don't think anyone knows any real spoilers yet, but I have some predictions that I'll put in spoiler tags.

Rey is a Skywalker

Kylo Renn is either a Skywalker or a Solo

Luke will appear for less than 10 minutes in this movie.

Han Solo will die in this movie.

Chewie will die in this movie.

Rey and Fynn are both force sensitive.

Leia will have a light saber.

That's all I can think of. It's half wish-list, half prediction list. 

I like half of those predictions. ^_^

Haha yeah, I don't like them either, but it's what I'm honestly thinking based everything I've analyzed. 

I don't think anyone knows any real spoilers yet, but I have some predictions that I'll put in spoiler tags.

Rey is a Skywalker

Kylo Renn is either a Skywalker or a Solo

Luke will appear for less than 10 minutes in this movie.

Han Solo will die in this movie.

Chewie will die in this movie.

Rey and Fynn are both force sensitive.

Leia will have a light saber.

That's all I can think of. It's half wish-list, half prediction list. 

My thoughts on your predictions:

1), 2)  I really hope not. :( Not everything has to connect to everything else.

3) He might have a reduced role but it will be more than 10 minutes.

4), 5)  I don't think any major characters will die in this movie. 

6) I don't think Finn will be force sensitive. The movie will seem too crowded if there are two major characters who are training to be a Jedi.

7) Probably, yes. 

Where does the 4.5/7 value come from?

The last time I checked it had 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

So I just saw the movie. I had really high expectations and it didn't really live up. Still an ok/pretty good film. 

I'd give it 7/10, or maybe 7.5.

Spoilers below: 

1) How does Rey, who has had no force or lighsaber training at all, manage to beat Kylo Ren who has (I assume) been training for years? 

2) I was really hoping that giant machine in the poster wasn't another Death Star. But it was - really, we now have a death star for the third time? 

3) So the main villain is Han Solo and Princess Leia's son? I do kind of wish that our main characters didn't have to be related to each other.

4) The whole climax was really anti-climatic and not very suspenseful. It didn't help that it was really similar to the first movie - they have to destroy the 3rd Death Star before it blows up the planet that the rebel base is on? 

Where does the 4.5/7 value come from?

The number of predictions I put up on this thread that ended up being correct. 

I feel like The Force Awakens exceeded my expectations, and I had a fair amount of hope. A New Hope, if you will.

There were a few moments when I was taken out of the film with lazy writing, but overall this film was really well done. The cinematography was better than anything George Lucas has ever made.

1) How does Rey, who has had no force or lighsaber training at all, manage to beat Kylo Ren who has (I assume) been training for years? 

2) I was really hoping that giant machine in the poster wasn't another Death Star. But it was - really, we now have a death star for the third time? 

3) So the main villain is Han Solo and Princess Leia's son? I do kind of wish that our main characters didn't have to be related to each other.

4) The whole climax was really anti-climatic and not very suspenseful. It didn't help that it was really similar to the first movie - they have to destroy the 3rd Death Star before it blows up the planet that the rebel base is on? 

1) Kylo Ren explained this for you. He said Rey was very powerful, even though she wasn't trained. The moment she realized that a connection between minds went both ways, things obviously clicked for her. That's how she was able to manipulate that Stormtrooper into getting his weapon. (Brilliant scene, by the way) But the fact of the matter is Rey is very powerful, she just hasn't tapped into that potential. Just because she isn't trained on lightsabers doesn't mean she doesn't know how to handle herself in a fight. (Remember that scuffle on Jukka over BB-8?)

2) It's not a death star, it's a death planet. This time was a little different because they saw the potential of the Empire's plans, saw what went wrong, and made some serious attempts to keep their weaknesses covered. It seemed pretty logical to me.

3) I hope you realize how many fans are pleased by the fact that Han and Leia got together, just like the ex-canonical books. I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, it's your opinion, but this has been a fact of Star Wars for decades before Disney bought LucasArts, so it makes sense to everyone, and I guess that includes J.J. Abrams.

4) This was one of the parts that really got to me, in terms of lazy writing. Yes, it's very similar to the old movies. But if I'm going off of my justification of the 'death planet' then this would also make sense. What's the first thing you want to get rid of with your huge gun? Your enemy. Who's your enemy? The rebellion. Simple as that. Does that justify it being so imilar to A New Hope? ... maybe. I really like this film, and I'm willing to let this slide for the sake of enjoying star wars.

A) For the first time in my life, I cried during a movie. Han's death really got to me just because I could sense it coming and I really didn't want it to end so soon with Han. I wasn't like full-out sobbing, but some manly tears were shed.

B) BB-8 would be my favorite if he weren't such a blatant ripoff of Wall-E. Freaking Disney.

C) I just found out today that the tricked trooper was played by Daniel Craig, and he was uncredited for the role of "JB-007"

I love this film so much, I've been waiting for over a decade to see this.

So far the film has made $689 million according to Box Office Mojo.

I feel like The Force Awakens exceeded my expectations, and I had a fair amount of hope. A New Hope, if you will.

There were a few moments when I was taken out of the film with lazy writing, but overall this film was really well done. The cinematography was better than anything George Lucas has ever made.

1) Kylo Ren explained this for you. He said Rey was very powerful, even though she wasn't trained. The moment she realized that a connection between minds went both ways, things obviously clicked for her. That's how she was able to manipulate that Stormtrooper into getting his weapon. (Brilliant scene, by the way) But the fact of the matter is Rey is very powerful, she just hasn't tapped into that potential. Just because she isn't trained on lightsabers doesn't mean she doesn't know how to handle herself in a fight. (Remember that scuffle on Jukka over BB-8?)

2) It's not a death star, it's a death planet. This time was a little different because they saw the potential of the Empire's plans, saw what went wrong, and made some serious attempts to keep their weaknesses covered. It seemed pretty logical to me.

3) I hope you realize how many fans are pleased by the fact that Han and Leia got together, just like the ex-canonical books. I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, it's your opinion, but this has been a fact of Star Wars for decades before Disney bought LucasArts, so it makes sense to everyone, and I guess that includes J.J. Abrams.

4) This was one of the parts that really got to me, in terms of lazy writing. Yes, it's very similar to the old movies. But if I'm going off of my justification of the 'death planet' then this would also make sense. What's the first thing you want to get rid of with your huge gun? Your enemy. Who's your enemy? The rebellion. Simple as that. Does that justify it being so imilar to A New Hope? ... maybe. I really like this film, and I'm willing to let this slide for the sake of enjoying star wars.

A) For the first time in my life, I cried during a movie. Han's death really got to me just because I could sense it coming and I really didn't want it to end so soon with Han. I wasn't like full-out sobbing, but some manly tears were shed.

B) BB-8 would be my favorite if he weren't such a blatant ripoff of Wall-E. Freaking Disney.

C) I just found out today that the tricked trooper was played by Daniel Craig, and he was uncredited for the role of "JB-007"

I love this film so much, I've been waiting for over a decade to see this.

1) She can handle herself with blasters, hand-to-hand combat, that's fine. Even her being able to speak with Chewbacca is kind of weird but I can give that a pass. But she shouldn't be able to properly use a lightsaber, or use the force, without any training. 

This causes a problem for the next movie too. She's going to be trained by Luke Skywalker and then there's going to be another confrontation with Kylo Ren in the next movie. But she can already beat him - what difference are we going to see with the training? At the end of the film the big villain said he would train Kylo Ren more so maybe he'll get better too.

Rey should have been comprehensively beaten by Kylo Ren. There shouldn't have been a contest. Then she gets trained by Luke Skywalker, and then she can fight evenly or beat him. 

2) It might technically be a "planet" and not a "star" but it's still another death star. A giant weapon that destroys a planet, which the Rebel alliance has to destroy before it destroys them.

3) We all knew that Han and Leia would get together; I'm referring to the main villain being their son.

4) Ok. They also had a giant convenient weakness which resulted in the entire planet blowing up.

Yeah Han Solo's death was quite shocking. I didn't expect Kylo Ren to just kill him. 

• Yoda:. Of course it was going to happen since Transformers 4 made so much money... 
  • GearheadGirl-440ci. I think all the Transformer movies made way too much money...
  • Nicene Nerd. Gross. 
  •  

ROFL (Just finding it funny that the tables are turned.)  :flapper:

Edited by paraskeve

My level of excitement for Transformers five is about the same as Star Wars, The Force Awakens.  :D It's supposed to be all about the robots, and no humans!!  Drift and Crosshairs are awesome, and I am excited to see more of them!!

And I think they're awesome! If you don't, that's fine.  ^_^

So I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens again last night.

I thought some of its flaws were a bit more noticeable on a second viewing. 

I'm kind of bummed by the casual discarding of prior Canon. Otherwise it's all good. I'm too delighted by my own delight with the movie to rate it fairly. Maybe after I've seen it a couple of times.