Star Wars: The Bored Awakens

T.O.W.R.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the hinges broke on my laptop. Only 11 months old, still works fine (though I can't close it well) and running excellently in all other areas *sigh* and its like, you can just TELL looking at the hinge that it's stupidly designed. Oh well. 

It should be. I bought it on May 23rd of last year (and its a one year warranty) but I'm not sure whether or not this will be covered. I'm not overly rough on the thing and the hinge itself breaking wasn't the result of a fall or anything but it does travel with me and has a few scrapes and bruises. Particularly, a few months ago it got dropped on a tile floor in an airport (a women with 4 screaming kids and a giant stroller ran into me in the security line... *sigh*). I guess it doesn't hurt to try though. 

For Clinical Psych I imagine, probably counseling too. Anything a whole bunch of people want to do. 

Which is why there's tons of non-competitive programs and job openings for school psychologists! 

*laughs at own joke* 

*smaller laugh*

*smaller laugh*

*muted sobbing*

I'm struggling a bit right now.... Not because of my job really just because of me... in my job. 

Eh, it depends I guess. I originally went to grad school for counseling and it didn't seem too competitive. Neither was my clinical social work program, which is one of the best in my state.

So I'm gonna go on a rant regarding friendships as an adult, and the ever so tricky situations that arise when they decide to become a consultant. Mary Kay, Avon, Scentsy, Norwex, Lularoe, Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple, Tupperware, 31 Bags, Jamberry, Beach Body, and now Doterra. Name the company, and I have a friend who's a consultant or coach, or whatever that company calls their people. Initially I was happy to go to a party and buy an item or two to throw some business their way and help them out. But as time goes on, it's getting really irritating. I keep getting invites and "oh it's been a while since you've gotten anything, surely you need scentsy refills by now?" and they keep targeting me to buy more. I've got one friend in particular who does Scentsy, Lularoe, Jamberry, and 31. It's constant harassment. When people aren't getting enough business, the messages start about how people really should think about where their money is going. "Support local businesses and stop funding big business." Ugh!

But in the end, I'm a social worker. I make a decent salary these days, but not enough for me to just throw my money around carelessly. Almost all of these items are over priced because not only does the parent company need to make a profit, but the independent consultant needs their profit too. I also find the items to be of questionable quality and in the end I just prefer other brands that are of better quality for an equal or lesser price. If you are my friend, you'll understand that and back off. I'm your friend, not your customer. In social work we have some pretty strict rules about dual relationships and they exist for a reason. It just makes thing really uncomfortable for me.

So anyhow, a friend of mine recently announced that she's now selling essential oils through Doterra. Being my kind self, I mentioned wanting to buy an essential oil diffuser and some essential oils to go with it as a housewarming gift for my little sister. I have one in my bedroom, and my Fitbit will confirm that since I started using it with lavender oil at night, my sleep quality has improved. I think it's more due to the added moisture in the air, but I do like the lavender scent too. My friend sends me the link to her shop and the prices are ridiculous. I bought my diffuser off of Amazon for $20 and a set of 6 EOs for another $20. The diffuser she's selling is almost $100. No! I'm not paying that. The oils I've looked at are between $27-$80 for a single bottle! I know that the ones I have aren't the best grade out there, and I'm willing to pay a bit more than what I have, but I can't even begin to justify those prices. She's harassed me about making a purchase every day since. This isn't friend behavior. This is attempting to take advantage of me for your own gain type behavior. Not cool people.

Those drive me nuts! Granted, I've never actually been explicitly invited to one (probably a good thing) but I've got so many people on FB who are all "Guys, you know I don't like to hawk my stuff because I love my stuff and it's wonderful and JUST BUY NORWEX!" 

The boss is observing me at one of my meetings tomorrow.... and I'm wishing so much that he could have picked another. Ugh. This new school, it's like, I don't hate it. They're good people and I'm glad to help but I just don't feel like I have a good grip there. 

On 5/10/2017 at 6:45 AM, noelKt5 said:

Eh, it depends I guess. I originally went to grad school for counseling and it didn't seem too competitive. Neither was my clinical social work program, which is one of the best in my state.

So I'm gonna go on a rant regarding friendships as an adult, and the ever so tricky situations that arise when they decide to become a consultant. Mary Kay, Avon, Scentsy, Norwex, Lularoe, Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple, Tupperware, 31 Bags, Jamberry, Beach Body, and now Doterra. Name the company, and I have a friend who's a consultant or coach, or whatever that company calls their people. Initially I was happy to go to a party and buy an item or two to throw some business their way and help them out. But as time goes on, it's getting really irritating. I keep getting invites and "oh it's been a while since you've gotten anything, surely you need scentsy refills by now?" and they keep targeting me to buy more. I've got one friend in particular who does Scentsy, Lularoe, Jamberry, and 31. It's constant harassment. When people aren't getting enough business, the messages start about how people really should think about where their money is going. "Support local businesses and stop funding big business." Ugh!

But in the end, I'm a social worker. I make a decent salary these days, but not enough for me to just throw my money around carelessly. Almost all of these items are over priced because not only does the parent company need to make a profit, but the independent consultant needs their profit too. I also find the items to be of questionable quality and in the end I just prefer other brands that are of better quality for an equal or lesser price. If you are my friend, you'll understand that and back off. I'm your friend, not your customer. In social work we have some pretty strict rules about dual relationships and they exist for a reason. It just makes thing really uncomfortable for me.

So anyhow, a friend of mine recently announced that she's now selling essential oils through Doterra. Being my kind self, I mentioned wanting to buy an essential oil diffuser and some essential oils to go with it as a housewarming gift for my little sister. I have one in my bedroom, and my Fitbit will confirm that since I started using it with lavender oil at night, my sleep quality has improved. I think it's more due to the added moisture in the air, but I do like the lavender scent too. My friend sends me the link to her shop and the prices are ridiculous. I bought my diffuser off of Amazon for $20 and a set of 6 EOs for another $20. The diffuser she's selling is almost $100. No! I'm not paying that. The oils I've looked at are between $27-$80 for a single bottle! I know that the ones I have aren't the best grade out there, and I'm willing to pay a bit more than what I have, but I can't even begin to justify those prices. She's harassed me about making a purchase every day since. This isn't friend behavior. This is attempting to take advantage of me for your own gain type behavior. Not cool people.

That's stinky!  Also, those parties are lame. Why are all adult "parties" lame? i've been to pampered chef, lia sophia and a multitude of baby showers and they all sucked butt. 

My mom does oils too, but somehow she swings wholesale prices to the most i've paid is like $20 and I don't get harassed. 
Tell them that you are a friend and not a customer and if they don't get it, remove them from your life!