T.O.W.R.

Star Wars: The Bored Awakens

*nods in agreement with Yoda*

last night one of my friends took me out for sushi to celebrate the whole job thing. And of all the places we could have gone, we ended up at the safe restaurant as my boss, who sat 2 tables away from us. 

Yep. He came over and said hello at least. Mostly, I think, because he wants something from me. 

Wheni handed him my notice he said "yes, I am aware of this. We are going to be in a bit of a bind here without you. Any chance we can keep you on part time for one evening a week until we have another licensed clinician to take your place?" 

For the most part, you don't have to be licensed to do out job since most of our clients are funded through the contracts we have with various agencies. But, quite a few pay with private insurance. The insurance will only pay for someone licensed. Since I'm the only licensed clinician there, the office won't be able to bill insurance anymore. 

I stayed up late gaming with some people I met BEFORE I joined CTF, yes we've been online buddies for that long and no we still haven't met. XD It was fun though. I feel alot better!

Oh not that much. Brought a small mountain of paperwork home to work on this weekend. I have too much to do in the next 4 weeks. 

hah fun.

So uh, two job Becky is either gonna have to be a 3 job Becky upon moving out or just not eat anything at all. I don't make enough to save for taking my certification tests or a new car... D:< We just budgeted EVERYTHING.

How could you possibly have the time for 3 jobs when you're already working more than a standard work week? In Australia at least that's 37.5 hours a week.

Who is "we" - can they help out?

So today they showed a video instead of giving a sermon. Even if the video was good, it came across to me as lazy. You don't have enough time to make a sermon, let's just show a video... 

Dear bored

The people next door are having a party. This is the 2nd time they've done this. 

I really hope they don't keep me up half the night like they did last time.

Yoda- first off, how's the party going? Secondly, I think it depends on how and why you decided to show the video. If you explained why you considered it worthy of replacing your sermon, I think that you are fine. Lately my father has become very frustrated with our pastor because he realized that he delivers a sermon less than 50% of the time. The other weeks it's a video, a guest speaker, or an "all worship" Sunday. Until you hit that point, I think that you are fine. 

Boogs- what type of situation are you planning on moving into?

12 hours ago, Yoda said:

How could you possibly have the time for 3 jobs when you're already working more than a standard work week? In Australia at least that's 37.5 hours a week.

Who is "we" - can they help out?

So today they showed a video instead of giving a sermon. Even if the video was good, it came across to me as lazy. You don't have enough time to make a sermon, let's just show a video... 

Some Americans pull 50-60 hours work weeks because food, taxes, car repairs and insurance  and basically life in general are so frickin' expensive here. Which is why they want to raise minimum wages here ( I make above minimum, but still) but every time minimum wage goes up, so does everything else. Its an endless cycle of everyone losing. 

We is my mom, and no, she won't help. I wouldn't ask her to anyway, I SHOULD be able to do this alone...i'm just not sure I have the resources to do so.

I'm looking for roomies but all I've found so far is a 19 year old who is very forgetful and has an eventful rental history, so i'm leaning towards no on that. 

That would be wise. Have you checked out Craigslist at all?

And Yoda, what Boogles says is true. The economy and housing situation is impossible at the moment. Unless a person has managed to find a rather cushy job in one of the STEM professions, I don't know any single people able to live on their own comfortably. Even if they are in a shared housing situation, they find themselves working at least one side job. For example, I clean houses on Fridays to help pay my bills. 

That's where I found le teenager. She's nice and I like her, but I just need more information about her before proceeding in any manner. 

Also most of us have around $40,000 in debt ( not me, I just have no money. :P) because of the cost of higher education. I still need to get a bachelor's in the next 4 years and I'm not going to be able to afford THAT any time soon. :(  America is just not conducive for singles who want to be alone. We're basically forced into co-habitation because of expensive everything. 

The job I want is quite cushy, but I'm stuck in that awkward post grad zone where employers are like "You need more experience to work in an environment like this, but since you don't have much experience, we're not going to give you the experience you need to get more experience until you go get more experience."  :wacko:

Jen: 

1) The party actually finished early, before I went to bed. And I go to bed about 10:30. I was pretty surprised.

2) This was the first time I've been there when they've showed a video. They didn't explain it, although they played a different portion last week so they may have explained it then. 

Guest speakers I'm actually fine with, although like you said it shouldn't happen too often. 

Has your father said anything to the pastor? One of my friends who goes there has told me multiple times I should give my negative feedback about that church to the pastor, but I don't. 

Boogles/Jen:

I do understand... and I have heard it's really tough in America for college graduates and you often have to hold down multiple jobs.

Unfortunately it's true that wages going up means costs go up, means prices go up. 

Australia has high wages and corresponding high cost of living, with an expensive rental/property market, with the result being that many young people stay at their parent's house for years and years after they finish uni. 

He has, I just believe that it falls on deaf ears. I tried giving feedback once and it didn't go well. The response I received was very sarcastic in nature and indicated that my feedback wasn't even read. 

Well that's the problem. Most people don't want unsolicited feedback.

Perhaps this pastor has good qualities but I'm a getting a negative impression of him from your post.

Maybe he really is just lazy, doesn't have time, just going through the motions, etc. 

Except they ask for feedback. There's a card inside of the bulletin that you are supposed stop fill to track attendance and there's a section for feedback. 

Now my complaint was very small. When I first began attending this church with my family, they did a mixture of modern worship songs and traditional hymns. As time has gone on, the hymns are becoming less and less frequent, to the point where they are now very rare, and when they are played, the songs are modernized with new lyrics added and the tempo messed with. I like traditional hymns. Most have very beautiful stories behind them, and altering them just bothers me. "Joyful Joyful, We adore Thee" is set to Beethoven's 9th symphony. That song does not need to be updated or altered in any way. Let's leave Beethoven alone, thank you. So I started asking about this in the comment cards. I didn't get a response for months, the one day I get an email saying that my comments were noted but "CCG utilizes a mix of contemporary and traditional worship styles. Modern refrains and adaptations are used to make the music more meaningful." But no responses to my questions about why the style changed in the first place.

Well I suppose they thought your feedback was inconsequential or otherwise didn't care.

I'd agree with you though. 

I think lots of others would as well but no-one else bothered to provide feedback. 

I think my pastor gets irritated with me and my strong opinions. Several years ago he hunted me down, knowing that I worked in child welfare, and insisted that I take on a leadership position with the children's ministry. There was a discipline issue with the kids not following directions, as children are prone to do. So I developed a system of consequences for unacceptable behavior, which included parents receiving notices about their children's behavior. I was quickly reprimanded and told that my system went against church policy. First off, I should be modeling Christ's love and acceptance to the children, and not judge them or make them feel unwanted. Second, this action had a negative impact on the child's family, as they will feel uncomfortable leaving the child in my care, knowing that he isn't free to express himself and is open to harsh criticism and judgement. 

So I agreed to finish out the year that I committed to, but refused to remain in that position beyond that point. I wasn't asked to be a babysitter, I was asked to run a ministry program. But I can't teach if I can't get the children to behave. Having rules and expectations isn't a negative thing for a child, it's actually very healthy. He hasn't been successful in keeping anyone in that position. 

On 1/8/2017 at 11:20 AM, Boogles said:

I'm looking for roomies but all I've found so far is a 19 year old who is very forgetful and has an eventful rental history, so i'm leaning towards no on that. 

Eventful rental history is problematic as is being a 19 year old but eh... you do what you gotta do. Unfortunately you're looking at kind of a rough time. I've had the best luck when I advertise in late spring to early summer. Craigslist is probably the best site but sometimes college towns will have FB groups with people looking for roomies (though students are a mixed bag, generally if their old enough to buy their own drinks you're ok). As much as it feels squicky (mainly because you'll get squicky comments) it's good to put up an ad as well as look at people renting rooms as such. Be friendly, sound fun, state exactly what you're looking for (though, realize if you say your looking for singletons as oppose to married couples or folks with kids they'll take your ad down.... its weird), including price range, but also mention where you're flexible. Include either a picture (doesn't have to be of you) or a memorable tag line. 

Not that you don't know this but finding roomates on craigslist is actually something I've gotten pretty decent at... crossing my fingers that maybe I'll find a place in the right $$ range to live alone next year though.