Starting December 21, and ending on March 19, I'm having a book challenge for any and all interested to participate in. I had one for Autumn, but in case you have forgotten how it's done, here are the rules. Don't worry, they're not hard. :)
To enter, pick four of the six categories below to complete, read the books of your choice pertaining to those chosen categories (you have to tell us what books they are and who wrote them), and try to be the first to finish your chosen books before Winter ends. Or if you choose, you can take a Level 2 challenge, and read books for all six categories. On March 19, we will all meet on here and talk about the books we've read (please, no spoilers!).
Hopefully we get a better response this season than last. If this challenge is a hit with you folks, I'll try to do another one for Spring. I hope y'all have a blast!!! :D

1. Read a book with the words "snow" or "ice" in the title.

2. Read a book about an animal (or animals).

3. Read a non-fiction book.

4. Read a book that is a collection of short stories.

5. Read an adventure-at-sea book.

6. Read a book taking place in the 1800s.

My choices are:

1. Beyond the Great Snow Mountains by Louis L'Amour 

2. Every Living Thing by James Herriot

3. Gracie: A Love Story by George Burns

4. The Luck of Roaring Camp and Other Stories by Bret Harte

5. Night Probe! by Clive Cussler

6. Chiricahua by Will Henry

Edited by Shasta Daisy

I'll join. I'll figure out what I'll read a little later if that's all right.

Awesome! Of course it's alright. Glad you could join. :)

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post much in the Autumn thread. I've been dreadfully busy. Hoping to get my thoughts posted there soon!

I'm actually doing all six this time. :)

1. Can the name of a series count? If so, I'll be reading George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series. The first book is Game of Thrones.

2. Cujo by Stephen King. (I'm actually rereading all of his books in chronological order, and this happens to be the next one on my list. Neat!)

3. The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

4. Books of Blood Vol. 4-6 by Clive Barker

5. The Terror by Dan Simmons (maybe I'll actually get to this one this time!)

6. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

These are my choices.

1. Iced by Carol Higgins Clark

2. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (This does count, right?)

3. Soul Surfer: a true story of faith, family, and fighting to get back on the board by Bethany Hamilton

4. The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent by Washington Irving

5. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

6. The House of Seven Gables by Nathanial Hawthorne

Edited by Delores Stariana

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post much in the Autumn thread. I've been dreadfully busy. Hoping to get my thoughts posted there soon!

I'm actually doing all six this time. :)

1. Can the name of a series count? If so, I'll be reading George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series. The first book is Game of Thrones.

2. Cujo by Stephen King. (I'm actually rereading all of his books in chronological order, and this happens to be the next one on my list. Neat!)

3. The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

4. Books of Blood Vol. 4-6 by Clive Barker

5. The Terror by Dan Simmons (maybe I'll actually get to this one this time!)

6. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Sure, the series counts! And I'm glad to have you back in my next challenge. :)

You'll have to tell me how the Bronte book is when you read it, I've heard a lot about it but have never actually read it.

These are my choices.

1. Iced by Carol Higgins Clark

2. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (This does count, right?)

3. Soul Surfer: a true story of faith, family, and fighting to get back on the board by Bethany Hamilton

4. The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent by Washington Irving

5. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

6. The House of Seven Gables by Nathanial Hawthorne

Thank you for joining. Wow, great choices! Looks like there are at least four books there that either I've read or I want to. :D The Jules Verne book was one of my favorites at one time. Have you read it before?

I am fifty pages into Cujo.

This book twists my stomach into knots. Always.

Cool! I know a bit about it, but I've never read it. Can you tell me more about it?

I would like to try:)

I think I will read:

1- the phantom of the opera by gaston leroux

2- do hard things by Brett and Alex Harris

3- where the red fern grows

4- 20,000 leagues

All these should qualify :)

I would like to try:)

I think I will read:

1- the phantom of the opera by gaston leroux

2- do hard things by Brett and Alex Harris

3- where the red fern grows

4- 20,000 leagues

All these should qualify :)

Your choices fit well. I rearranged them below for you. :) There's a lot of really good books in there. How is Phantom of the Opera? I saw the movie, but never read the book.  :)

This is how they should go:

2. Where the Red Fern Grows

3. Do Hard Things by Brett and Alex Harris

5. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

6. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

I'm very glad that you decided to join us! And I'd love to hear what you think of the books as you read them.  :D

Edited by Shasta Daisy

Thank you for joining. Wow, great choices! Looks like there are at least four books there that either I've read or I want to. :D The Jules Verne book was one of my favorites at one time. Have you read it before?

Which ones have you do you want to read? No, I haven't. I've kept meaning to for a couple of years and figured that if I decided to read it for this I'd get it done! :)

Cool! I know a bit about it, but I've never read it. Can you tell me more about it?

Synopsis:

The Cambers' once-friendly St. Bernard turns into a killer after being bitten by a rabid bat. Donna Trenton's husband is in New York trying to contain a disastrous ad campaign. Feeling abandoned by her workaholic husband, who is frequently out of town, Donna Trenton embarks on an affair with a local handyman. Left to fend for herself, she takes her ailing Pinto to Joe Cambers' garage for repairs only to be trapped with her son Tad in the sweltering car by the monstrous dog.

Which ones have you do you want to read? No, I haven't. I've kept meaning to for a couple of years and figured that if I decided to read it for this I'd get it done! :)

I have read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and I think the Hawthorne book, although I'm not sure. I've read a couple books by him, anyways. And I hope to read Jurassic Park and Soul Surfer some day. I actually own Jurassic Park, but have not gotten around to reading it yet. Will you tell me what you thought of it when you've finished reading it? I'd appreciate it a lot. :)

Synopsis:

The Cambers' once-friendly St. Bernard turns into a killer after being bitten by a rabid bat. Donna Trenton's husband is in New York trying to contain a disastrous ad campaign. Feeling abandoned by her workaholic husband, who is frequently out of town, Donna Trenton embarks on an affair with a local handyman. Left to fend for herself, she takes her ailing Pinto to Joe Cambers' garage for repairs only to be trapped with her son Tad in the sweltering car by the monstrous dog.

It sounds interesting. At least from your description it's not supernatural, which was what I didn't like about the Stephen King books. But this one sounds like it might be good. I like books that evoke emotion (like make you cry, make you laugh, make you sigh, or send chills up your spine).

I have read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and I think the Hawthorne book, although I'm not sure. I've read a couple books by him, anyways. And I hope to read Jurassic Park and Soul Surfer some day. I actually own Jurassic Park, but have not gotten around to reading it yet. Will you tell me what you thought of it when you've finished reading it? I'd appreciate it a lot. :)

Sure, no problem. And you would probably really like Soul Surfer, it was a good book, at least in my opinion.

I just finished reading Night Probe!, and I've moved on to Beyond The Great Snow Mountains. So far, it is good, but somewhat out-of-charactor for Louis L'Amour. Of the three short stories I've read so far, only one was a Western. One was about a famous Revolutionary War figure in history, and the other was about a young lady trapped on an island in the middle of nowhere. The Revolutionary War story was my favorite so far. I like the surprise ending.

It sounds interesting. At least from your description it's not supernatural, which was what I didn't like about the Stephen King books. But this one sounds like it might be good. I like books that evoke emotion (like make you cry, make you laugh, make you sigh, or send chills up your spine).

Yeah, King is known for supernatural but has a few books that aren't-- Cujo, Misery, Different Seasons, Gerald's Game, Dolores Claiborne, Hearts In Atlantis, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Joyland, the Bill Hodges trilogy, et cetera.

Yeah, King is known for supernatural but has a few books that aren't-- Cujo, Misery, Different Seasons, Gerald's Game, Dolores Claiborne, Hearts In Atlantis, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Joyland, the Bill Hodges trilogy, et cetera.

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

I just got some new books today, and since I'm not too thrilled about Far from the Maddening Crowd as my "book taking place in the 1800s" choice, I'd like to replace it with one of these. But which one? I could use y'all's advice, if you can help me out. Here are the books, all of which I believe would fit in that catagory:

Custer by Will Henry

The Luck of Roaring Camp & Other Stories by Bret Harte

Chiricahua by Will Henry

The Mysterious Rider by Zane Grey

Thanks a heap. :) I was thinking perhaps one of the first two, but they all look really good, so I don't know...

Oh, and by the way, I just started on The Falcon and the Snowman. It's a little slow-moving so far, but I'm hoping it will get better.