I will use this thread to post writing prompts that I find... 

feel free to add any that you guys come up with

then you can visit this thread if you're looking for a writing prompt or boost of creativity! :D

Prompt:

Every so often a dream catcher must be 'emptied' of all the nightmares it caught. Who does it and what do they see?

I thoungt this picture found in an 1887 magazine brought to mind countless wonderful scenerios that should be written.

Here is the picture.

http://s23.postimg.org/oqm4jxzrf/Old_picture_from_Pansy_magazine.png

The story that comes to my mind is one of loneliness and dejection, a 16-year-old girl who thinks that she has lost somebody very dear to her, perhaps a sweatheart in a war. But it should have a happy ending, so in the end it turns out that the one she thought was dead comes back to her, explaining how he had been captured by the enemy, and how he watched his chances and made a perilous escape. But maybe you have a better idea, mine is kind of typical and perhaps even overused.

Edited by Shasta Daisy

Prompt:

There was a list of things that could've went wrong that day, but being shoved down the laundry chute was not on it.

New Year's Eve Prompts:

- Bumping into your ex at a New Year's Eve party and really hitting it off again and midnight is coming up fast and neither of you have no one to kiss.

- You're an ER Nurse who works on New Year's Eve when there's a terrible car accident and you know two of the patients so you do everything you can to make them feel better.

- "The Fireworks are scaring the baby!" "So do you want me to just go politely ruin everyone else's fun for the babies sake?" "YES!"

- "We had never met before tonight at a mutual friends party and we don't have anyone to kiss at midnight. Now we can't seem to stop running in to each other at all times."

- "Dad did WHAT with the fireworks!?!?"

- "You haven't been to a New Year's Eve part before? Well, buckle up, because tonight you're going to 5 of them!"

- New Year's at the beach.

- A time traveler can only travel through time when the clock strikes midnight on New Year's Eve. But where is s/he going to spend the next year of their life? Will they leave at all?

- Got pulled over for speeding while trying to make it home in time to be with your family at midnight.

- Person A proposes to Person B 2 minutes before midnight.

- New Year's Eve spent with your cat while curled up reading a book.

- New Year's Eve celebration at the Church turns out to be a whole lot more fun than you expected.

- "My brother/sister kissed my ex?"

- "I'm not going to kiss you." "Good."

- "Why is everyone kissing? That's weird and kinda gross."

- "You're my best friend so I'm going to kiss you but I promise you that there are no feelings involved in it whatsoever." (Bonus points if there are feelings involved.)

- It's a newly wed couples first New Year's Eve together. They reminisce about the crazy, wonderful, year they've had together and look forward to the things to come in the next year.

- "IT'S 4 IN THE MORNING! HOW MANY FIREWORKS DO YOU PLAN TO SET OFF?!"

New Year's Eve Prompts:

- Bumping into your ex at a New Year's Eve party and really hitting it off again and midnight is coming up fast and neither of you have no one to kiss.

- You're an ER Nurse who works on New Year's Eve when there's a terrible car accident and you know two of the patients so you do everything you can to make them feel better.

- "The Fireworks are scaring the baby!" "So do you want me to just go politely ruin everyone else's fun for the babies sake?" "YES!"

- "We had never met before tonight at a mutual friends party and we don't have anyone to kiss at midnight. Now we can't seem to stop running in to each other at all times."

- "Dad did WHAT with the fireworks!?!?"

- "You haven't been to a New Year's Eve part before? Well, buckle up, because tonight you're going to 5 of them!"

- New Year's at the beach.

- A time traveler can only travel through time when the clock strikes midnight on New Year's Eve. But where is s/he going to spend the next year of their life? Will they leave at all?

- Got pulled over for speeding while trying to make it home in time to be with your family at midnight.

- Person A proposes to Person B 2 minutes before midnight.

- New Year's Eve spent with your cat while curled up reading a book.

- New Year's Eve celebration at the Church turns out to be a whole lot more fun than you expected.

- "My brother/sister kissed my ex?"

- "I'm not going to kiss you." "Good."

- "Why is everyone kissing? That's weird and kinda gross."

- "You're my best friend so I'm going to kiss you but I promise you that there are no feelings involved in it whatsoever." (Bonus points if there are feelings involved.)

- It's a newly wed couples first New Year's Eve together. They reminisce about the crazy, wonderful, year they've had together and look forward to the things to come in the next year.

- "IT'S 4 IN THE MORNING! HOW MANY FIREWORKS DO YOU PLAN TO SET OFF?!"

This is why you're the best <3

Feeling Sick Prompts

- "My head is pounding, my nose is running and I'm so cold I'm wearing three sweaters but I will get this article sent to the editor if it kills me."

- A 15 year old boy is found in the woods next to your cabin where you were having a weekend away with your family. He's sick and won't talk to anyone. Not until he's alone with you and he just barely whispers "They'll be coming back. They'll be angry."

- "She isn't going to make it..."

- A honeymoon is ruined by some undercooked shrimp.

- A hypochondriac must take care of his sick niece for a few hours. Things get... interesting.

- "Why is he purple?" "We're trying to figure that out." "He looks like Barney the Dinosaur." "Don't make fun of the patient... but yeah, he does look just like Barney."

- A mother must take care of her 4 children, husband, and parents over Christmas after that all come down with the same cold.

- "YOU VOMITED ON YOUR DATE?!"

- It's your last day of Chemotherapy and you're saying goodbye to all your fellow patients.

- A single mother-to-be has morning sickness and the only one taking care of her is her outstandingly trained Bull Mastiff.

- "I'm not going to cuddle with you." "But I'm cold." "You're also possibly contagious."

- "I almost regret poisoning you."

- Reports of people miraculously being healed by a ghostly figure in a Plague Doctor mask leads a team of teenage paranormal enthusiasts to try to get sick to see if "The Good Doctor" will come to visit them.

- What do you do when the world's greatest super-hero takes a sick day?

- Person A is feeling sick so Person B and C come over to have a lazy day of watching Netflix and eating Person C's homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.

Prompt:

"There's something you should know, in case I don't come back."

Just thought I'd let you know, I wrote a short story using this prompt. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Just thought I'd let you know, I wrote a short story using this prompt. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Awesome!! No problem :)

Prompt:

Go to your nearest book, turn to page 51, find the first line of the last paragraph on the page. Use that line to start your scene.

Prompt:

Go to your nearest book, turn to page 51, find the first line of the last paragraph on the page. Use that line to start your scene.

I like that idea! I'll try it sometime, for sure. Thanks.

Okay, here's one:

Do you have a junk drawer in your house? One that is overflowing with stuff which nobody wants or knows what it is, yet is afraid to get rid of for fear they might need it some day? Well, close your eyes, open the drawer, reach in, and randomly pull something out of it. Write a story from that thingy's perspective, and try to figure out all the places it might have been, the things it might have been used for, and the people it might have seen.