Sign in to follow this  
lisa98

Bisexuality

Bisexuality  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Is it less sinful to be bisexual than homosexual?

• Yes (less sinful)
    • No (more sinful)
    • Equally sinful
  2. 2. Should bisexuals abstain from homosexual relationships and only be in heterosexual ones?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you marry a bisexual person?

• Yes
    • No

I searched on the forum for discussions on bisexuality and got 0 results, which surprised me. I myself am bisexual, but have only been in straight relationships. I've made a poll with simple answers, and you may answer them anonymously. If you'd like to elaborate your opinions that would be great!

EDIT: Something must've gone wrong when I searched "bisexuality", I just tried again and found lots of results! I will check those threads out.

Edited by lisa98

I pick equally above, but I do not think it is sinful at all.

Thank you for answering! I expect some to say that it is against the Bible (Levictus 18:22 NIV "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; it is an abomination.")

Is it a fair assumption that the Bible allows gay romantic relationships, but not gay sexual relationships? So that it's not sinful to be in a gay relationship as long as you're not practicing any sort of sex?

Thank you for answering! I expect some to say that it is against the Bible (Levictus 18:22 NIV "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; it is an abomination.")

Is it a fair assumption that the Bible allows gay romantic relationships, but not gay sexual relationships? So that it's not sinful to be in a gay relationship as long as you're not practicing any sort of sex?

As I mentioned in the gay marriage thread, I feel that God was speaking of loveless sex. When the people had become so immoral, they would simply lie with ANYONE to get the sensation and pleasure of sex. I had long times of prayer and talking with God about this concept, and that is where my heart was led. I do not disrespect anyone who feels differently though.

As I mentioned in the gay marriage thread, I feel that God was speaking of loveless sex. When the people had become so immoral, they would simply lie with ANYONE to get the sensation and pleasure of sex. I had long times of prayer and talking with God about this concept, and that is where my heart was led. I do not disrespect anyone who feels differently though.

That is certainly a fair interpretation.  ^_^

This is sort of along my thought lines.  Kind of.

I will say that I don't have much, if any Biblical support for my thoughts on this issue. However, even in the early books, nothing was explicitly stated that it was immoral to find the same sex attractive. The line seemed to begin at lust ( and accompanying sexual fantasies) and everything beyond lust, including sexual activity.

Most people I know can find someone attractive without wanting to get in their pants.

On the flip side of this, by entering a same sex (or any sort of relationship for that matter), what is the end goal of this relationship and what are the boundaries involved? How strong are the participants morals vs the strength of their desires? The Bible also condemns sex outside the confines of marriage.

Can you enter an SS relationship on good conscience? 

As for my thoughts,  all sin, any sin occurs after that "line" is crossed. Gluttony is the example I will use.

It is not sinful to admire the cookie.

it is not sinful to contemplate having a cookie.

It is not sinful to WANT a cookie, so long as said want of cookie doesn't overtake one's life and mind.

It IS sinful to eat all the cookies in the house.

Existing isn't sinful. Anything involving sexual activity either is or is not, depending on whom you ask. In my opinion, SS sexual relations are on the same level of immorality as hetero ones out of wedlock. As for ss relationships  that are abstinent? I don't know.  They are pretty rare from what I see and fall into a gray area.

Annnd debate section. I'm out.

If one considers homosexuality a sin, I don't see how he or she could think bisexuality is any less of a sin.

That being said, I don't think homosexuality or bisexuality is a sin in the eyes of the Christian God or deity etc. Being a practicing (romantically and sexually) homosexual, however, it's not like I can bash it, anyway, without being a total hypocrite. ;) Haha. That being said, I tried to not let my lifestyle influence how I voted.

Would I marry a bisexual person? Honestly.... I don't think so. I can't say why, I would just be uncomfortable with it. I need my men all gay all the way.

That said, this is the debate section and I don't typically debate so I am outta here.

This is sort of along my thought lines.  Kind of.

I will say that I don't have much, if any Biblical support for my thoughts on this issue. However, even in the early books, nothing was explicitly stated that it was immoral to find the same sex attractive. The line seemed to begin at lust ( and accompanying sexual fantasies) and everything beyond lust, including sexual activity.

Most people I know can find someone attractive without wanting to get in their pants.

On the flip side of this, by entering a same sex (or any sort of relationship for that matter), what is the end goal of this relationship and what are the boundaries involved? How strong are the participants morals vs the strength of their desires? The Bible also condemns sex outside the confines of marriage.

Can you enter an SS relationship on good conscience? 

As for my thoughts,  all sin, any sin occurs after that "line" is crossed. Gluttony is the example I will use.

It is not sinful to admire the cookie.

it is not sinful to contemplate having a cookie.

It is not sinful to WANT a cookie, so long as said want of cookie doesn't overtake one's life and mind.

It IS sinful to eat all the cookies in the house.

Existing isn't sinful. Anything involving sexual activity either is or is not, depending on whom you ask. In my opinion, SS sexual relations are on the same level of immorality as hetero ones out of wedlock. As for ss relationships  that are abstinent? I don't know.  They are pretty rare from what I see and fall into a gray area.

Annnd debate section. I'm out.

You bring a fair point. So if I want to live a life as free of sin as possible I shouldn't get involved in a relationship which I can't be sure will tempt me into sinning. That's a good thought to have in the back of your mind in all situations, so thank you for that.  :thumbup:

If one considers homosexuality a sin, I don't see how he or she could think bisexuality is any less of a sin.

That being said, I don't think homosexuality or bisexuality is a sin in the eyes of the Christian God or deity etc. Being a practicing (romantically and sexually) homosexual, however, it's not like I can bash it, anyway, without being a total hypocrite. ;) Haha. That being said, I tried to not let my lifestyle influence how I voted.

Would I marry a bisexual person? Honestly.... I don't think so. I can't say why, I would just be uncomfortable with it. I need my men all gay all the way.

That said, this is the debate section and I don't typically debate so I am outta here.

I figured that some might think that homosexuality is 100% sin, and therefore bisexuality would be 50% sin since you still feel attraction towards the opposite sex. A bit silly explanation but I think you'll understand what I'm trying to say. :razz:On the other hand, it doesn't matter if it's a gay or bisexual person who engages in gay sex since the sin is the same.

Personally it wouldn't matter if my partner was hetero or bi, but I totally respect your preference. :) I've dated two guys so far and they've both been bisexual as well, and it's been interesting to be able to talk to them about attraction towards particular people of both sexes. I suppose there could be more competition for a bisexual person's partner in that they're most likely attracted to more people, so there are both pros and cons to it.

As far as i remember, to BE bisexual or homosexual cannot be considered a sin, only the act of ... doing it.

As far as i remember, to BE bisexual or homosexual cannot be considered a sin, only the act of ... doing it.

Would you say it's only sinful if you're with another person either physically or through sexting/Skype, or is having gay fantasies also sinful?

I'm alarmed by how many Christians are in this thread that don't think homosexual acts are sinful.

Ok, so most of you know I don't approve of homosexuality and therefore I don't approve of bisexuality. I think both are a sin, however, I'm not going to hate them and I don't mind being friends with them. I'll love them but, spiritually and with my moral beliefs, I can't approve. But I won't treat them any differently then anyone else.

I'm alarmed by how many Christians are in this thread that don't think homosexual acts are sinful.

Agreed.

Because the Nicene Creed so clearly states God's condemnation of gays. 

The problem is that your feelings about this issue are objectively contrary to the reality of the texts and their historical/linguistic contexts.

Because the Nicene Creed so clearly states God's condemnation of gays.

The Creed does affirm the divine inspiration of the prophetic writings, and the authority of the Church catholic, so...

The Creed does affirm the divine inspiration of the prophetic writings, and the authority of the Church catholic, so...

haha 

It's by no means an essential doctrine, so it being alarming is a bit dramatic.

haha 

Yeah, you're right.

Maybe "alarming" wasn't the right word. I'll say "perplexing". It's just kind of strange, it looks like a lot of mental gymnastics to hand-wave the scripture away. I mean, I'm not a Christian, but the idea of not taking responsibility for the "ugly" tenants of your religion seems kind of dirty to me. I believe they call that "cherry picking."

haha 

While I agree that it's not an "essential doctrine" in a strict sense, I am convinced that it represents an alarming departure from reasonable, traditional, and reverent methods of handling the Holy Scriptures, not to mention the historic teachings of the whole Church. The issue of homosexuality functions as a condensed symbol of a radically new moral and hermeneutic worldview with no Christian roots, even though at a technical level it is not a "heresy."

Yeah, you're right.

Maybe "alarming" wasn't the right word. I'll say "perplexing". It's just kind of strange, it looks like a lot of mental gymnastics to hand-wave the scripture away. I mean, I'm not a Christian, but the idea of not taking responsibility for the "ugly" tenants of your religion seems kind of dirty to me. I believe they call that "cherry picking."

Perhaps; but I don't think so. It is only undeniably "cherry-picking" from a so-called "biblical literalism" hermeneutic, which is easily dismissed (because taking the Bible literally is something no-one does).

So the important question is "what hermaneutic properly informs the controversial scriptures?" Which we see happening in the dismissal of the Hebrew conduct commands. 

It is not at all unreasonable to take into account the advances of modern sciences alongside proper exegesis.

Also, if people want to not use their religion to be bigots, then by-all-means let them go for it lol

While I agree that it's not an "essential doctrine" in a strict sense, I am convinced that it represents an alarming departure from reasonable, traditional, and reverent methods of handling the Holy Scriptures, not to mention the historic teachings of the whole Church. The issue of homosexuality functions as a condensed symbol of a radically new moral and hermeneutic worldview with no Christian roots, even though at a technical level it is not a "heresy."

I have a feeling we just won't agree on anything here :P

Perhaps the fundamental difference is that I don't think it is unreasonable, untraditional, irreverent, or unchristian to continually challenge the prior assumptions and beliefs of the church for the sake of further realization of truth.

Edited by Ananas

It is not at all unreasonable to take into account the advances of modern sciences alongside proper exegesis.

I'm not sure it's even remotely possible for science to say anything of weight on moral issues.

Perhaps the fundamental difference is that I don't think it is unreasonable, untraditional, irreverent, or unchristian to continually challenge the prior assumptions and beliefs of the church for the sake of further realization of truth.

It's not that I think such challenges are inherently any of those things. (I'm half Barthian, after all!) I instead mean very specifically that the hermeneutics and moral frameworks lying behind pro-LGBT rereadings of Scripture are these things. I think they undermine the historic Christian worldview at key points, and if taken to their full and logical conclusions can ultimately shipwreck the faith.

Define 'being' bisexual or 'being' homosexual. If they are defined by experiencing same-sex attraction then absolutely not sinful. If they are defined by pursuing same-sex relationships then maybe sinful. 

Legally, I have no problem condoning gay-marriage but I also do not think it's possible for me (as a Catholic) to be honest in my faith and consider same-sex relationships ok. I'm really really big on people being able to come to their own conclusions about morality and generally lead their own lives (inherited a libertarian streak from my father haha) so in my day to day life you'd assume I was pro-homosexuality but I honestly don't think homosexual relationships are ideal. A marriage has two aims, you see. The first is to help help the two individuals involved grow in holiness and imitate God's love for creation in unconditional sacrifice for the other, the other is that that unconditional sacrifice might produce something from that (.... kids. Marriages produce kids). As the Father's love for the son was so powerful as to beget the third person of the trinity in the holy spirit, so marriage reflects this reality by drawing two people together in love and sacrifice to produce a third. I don't deny the love those with same-sex attraction feel towards each other. I'm not saying these relationships can't produce good (because they can), I am simply saying that they cannot reflect God as marriage is designed too because of the fact that homosexual relationships marriages cannot produce children. And yes, I understand that there is all sorts of stickiness here. What if they adopt? What about childless couples? What about people who can't have kids or those that are too old? To these I say that adoption, while endlessly admirable, is the result of a fallen world and always involves some level of trauma, a childless couple could choose to have them and so could still have a true marriage, and that those who are barren are, admittedly, 'broken' or 'sick' on some level and so if you could in theory 'fix' the problem where as with homosexual relationships that is not so. 

Now, to bisexuality. 

First off, the attraction itself, as I've said, is not the sin. Even Jesus experienced temptation in the desert, he just didn't have the inclination towards sin that we do in our fallen state. Only the homosexual action can be considered a sin. A heterosexual person who decided one day to go have homosexual sex would be just as in the wrong (and possibly more so) as a homosexual person doing the same. As such, there is no 'bisexual action' so your question about whether bisexuality is more or less sinful doesn't make any sense to me. One thing I would state, however, is that the homosexual person generally has a harder cross to bear. 

And I'm speaking here as a generally orthodox Catholic who experiences same-sex (and opposite sex) attraction. I have never had a homosexual relationship (although there have been times when I definitely would have had it worked out that way) and so I cannot speak for everyone (or anyone) who experiences same and opposite sex attraction however, I've come to terms with where I stand as a 'bisexual' catholic (and bisexual I mean experiencing both same and opposite sex attraction, I sometimes will tell people that I am 'bisexual in preference, heterosexual in practice'). If I were not Christian (or really even not Catholic... I think I could talk myself into feeling good about homosexuality if I wasn't Catholic) this would be different but basically how it has happened as as I've grown older I've gained more and more respect for the old-fashioned, classic, husband-wife-children model of family. In my mind, this is the 'ideal' and though a homosexual relationship would undoubtedly build good things within me (as experiencing same-sex attraction has bolstered empathy and humility) it could not reach that ideal. I'm lucky though. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to attraction. By simply not pursuing the 'relationship chances' with other women or indulging in fantasy I am able to be, stereotypicaly 'ok', by Christian standards. At this time in my life, I have not had to 'give up' much except possibilities. In my mind it would be much harder for someone who only experiences same-sex attraction because they would be essentially having to 'give up' on sexual/romantic love in order to live a chaste life by the church's standards. Some are undoubtedly called to that, however, it is a difficult cross and one of the reason that those experiencing same-sex attraction deserve and require our greatest understanding and empathy as Christians. 

Define 'being' bisexual or 'being' homosexual. If they are defined by experiencing same-sex attraction then absolutely not sinful. If they are defined by pursuing same-sex relationships then maybe sinful.

Legally, I have no problem condoning gay-marriage but I also do not think it's possible for me (as a Catholic) to be honest in my faith and consider same-sex relationships ok. I'm really really big on people being able to come to their own conclusions about morality and generally lead their own lives (inherited a libertarian streak from my father haha) so in my day to day life you'd assume I was pro-homosexuality but I honestly don't think homosexual relationships are ideal. A marriage has two aims, you see. The first is to help help the two individuals involved grow in holiness and imitate God's love for creation in unconditional sacrifice for the other, the other is that that unconditional sacrifice might produce something from that (.... kids. Marriages produce kids). As the Father's love for the son was so powerful as to beget the third person of the trinity in the holy spirit, so marriage reflects this reality by drawing two people together in love and sacrifice to produce a third. I don't deny the love those with same-sex attraction feel towards each other. I'm not saying these relationships can't produce good (because they can), I am simply saying that they cannot reflect God as marriage is designed too because of the fact that homosexual relationships marriages cannot produce children. And yes, I understand that there is all sorts of stickiness here. What if they adopt? What about childless couples? What about people who can't have kids or those that are too old? To these I say that adoption, while endlessly admirable, is the result of a fallen world and always involves some level of trauma, a childless couple could choose to have them and so could still have a true marriage, and that those who are barren are, admittedly, 'broken' or 'sick' on some level and so if you could in theory 'fix' the problem where as with homosexual relationships that is not so.

Now, to bisexuality.

First off, the attraction itself, as I've said, is not the sin. Even Jesus experienced temptation in the desert, he just didn't have the inclination towards sin that we do in our fallen state. Only the homosexual action can be considered a sin. A heterosexual person who decided one day to go have homosexual sex would be just as in the wrong (and possibly more so) as a homosexual person doing the same. As such, there is no 'bisexual action' so your question about whether bisexuality is more or less sinful doesn't make any sense to me. One thing I would state, however, is that the homosexual person generally has a harder cross to bear.

And I'm speaking here as a generally orthodox Catholic who experiences same-sex (and opposite sex) attraction. I have never had a homosexual relationship (although there have been times when I definitely would have had it worked out that way) and so I cannot speak for everyone (or anyone) who experiences same and opposite sex attraction however, I've come to terms with where I stand as a 'bisexual' catholic (and bisexual I mean experiencing both same and opposite sex attraction, I sometimes will tell people that I am 'bisexual in preference, heterosexual in practice'). If I were not Christian (or really even not Catholic... I think I could talk myself into feeling good about homosexuality if I wasn't Catholic) this would be different but basically how it has happened as as I've grown older I've gained more and more respect for the old-fashioned, classic, husband-wife-children model of family. In my mind, this is the 'ideal' and though a homosexual relationship would undoubtedly build good things within me (as experiencing same-sex attraction has bolstered empathy and humility) it could not reach that ideal. I'm lucky though. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to attraction. By simply not pursuing the 'relationship chances' with other women or indulging in fantasy I am able to be, stereotypicaly 'ok', by Christian standards. At this time in my life, I have not had to 'give up' much except possibilities. In my mind it would be much harder for someone who only experiences same-sex attraction because they would be essentially having to 'give up' on sexual/romantic love in order to live a chaste life by the church's standards. Some are undoubtedly called to that, however, it is a difficult cross and one of the reason that those experiencing same-sex attraction deserve and require our greatest understanding and empathy as Christians.

I don't have much to say except this was very well explained! Saying you're a bisexual in preference but heterosexual in practice is a really good idea. Basically your post is a great help. :D