Sign in to follow this  
lisa98

Bisexuality

Bisexuality  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Is it less sinful to be bisexual than homosexual?

• Yes (less sinful)
    • No (more sinful)
    • Equally sinful
  2. 2. Should bisexuals abstain from homosexual relationships and only be in heterosexual ones?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you marry a bisexual person?

• Yes
    • No

I don't think being in a loving caring homosexual or bisexual relationship is sinful at all. I am in love with a beautiful girl (never had sex) and we've been together four years. I'm hoping the people of this forum will still respect me after knowing that abou me.

I don't think being in a loving caring homosexual or bisexual relationship is sinful at all. I am in love with a beautiful girl (never had sex) and we've been together four years. I'm hoping the people of this forum will still respect me after knowing that abou me.

I think you'll find there is quite a few members who don't mind or judge this sort of thing, one of them being me.

This forum is pretty open-minded for the most part.

Well. I'm not gonna judge but I'll pray for ya cause after all, your bible believing follower of Christ too

Even those of us with conservative views (which there are sadly but a few left) will be perfectly happy with you so long as you're a good citizen of CTF. Though we (or at least I) will inwardly wince and cringe that it's becoming more and more common for people to unreservedly throw orthodox Christian doctrine and moral standards out the window in favor of modern liberal ideals...

A complex issue. I myself am bisexual, and have been in a relationship with a guy before, but tend to fall on the conservative side of the spectrum in theory. While the United Synagogue decided to basically de-criminalise homosexuality and gay marriage in our canon of Jewish law not too far back, I tend to support the position laid out by various dissenting rabbis on the issue; which supports a caring and inclusive approach to LGBT Jews while refusing to compromise on biblical principles.

A complex issue. I myself am bisexual, and have been in a relationship with a guy before, but tend to fall on the conservative side of the spectrum in theory. While the United Synagogue decided to basically de-criminalise homosexuality and gay marriage in our canon of Jewish law not too far back, I tend to support the position laid out by various dissenting rabbis on the issue; which supports a caring and inclusive approach to LGBT Jews while refusing to compromise on biblical principles.

I like you <3

Why thank you.

I should add that the Conservative position re: homosexuality and same-sex marriage is... complicated. In 2006, the Rabbinical Assembly adopted a variety of responsa, some of which directly contradicted each other. Same-Sex Attraction and Halakhah by Leonard Levy and Homosexuality Revisited by Joel Roth both stand on the conservative end of the spectrum. The former counsels against outright discrimination and encourages LGBT participation in the Jewish community, but maintains that there ought not to be same-sex marriage ceremonies or blessings of same-sex unions. As well, Rabbi Levy states that while those who flout the prohibitions on homosexual conduct should still be accepted into the Conservative community -- much like those who don't keep kosher or observe the Sabbath are -- their actions should not be validated. As well, it is the position of Levy's responsa that those with same-sex attraction can be admitted to rabbinical and cantorial schools, but should refrain from having sex.

Rabbi Roth, on the other hand, states in his conclusions that "[t]he Rabbinical and Cantorial schools will not knowingly admit sexually active homosexual students, nor will they be admitted to either the Rabbinical Assembly or the Cantors Assembly.' but otherwise tends to mirror Same-Sex Attraction and Halakhah. Both responsa agree that homosexuals shouldn't be ostracised, but that sodomy remained prohibited, and that neither same-sex blessings or marriages should be assented to; as that would undermine the standard ideal of a monogamous, heterosexual marriage. Celibacy is counselled, but with the attitude of "if you can't be celibate, that's okay; just try to live up to Jewish ethics in that relationship" in line with the Conservative ideal of encouraging Jewish observance as normative and beneficial, but not penalising those who fail to live up to it.

That's a big reversal from the CJLS' (Committee of Jewish Law and Standards, the Rabbinical Assembly's halachic arm) blanket prohibition of homosexuals and homosexuality across the board, but is still relatively conservative. Rabbi Levy's responsa is very nuanced in addressing the subtleties of sexual orientation and attraction, and I'm not quite doing it justice. It's easy to find if you'd like to skim it. However, a third responsa was also adopted: Homosexuality, Human Dignity, and Halakah. This is generally understood to be the 'liberal' one among the three responsa. In comparison to the position of other religions (Episcopalianism) or Jewish denominations (Reconstructionist Judaism, Jewish Renewal, and Reform Judaism spring to mind) it may not really seem that liberal; but in a Conservative context it's pretty close. The explicit ban on sodomy remains in place, and "[h]eterosexual marriage between two Jews [is confirmed as] the halakhic ideal," but with the significant caveat that "for homosexuals who are incapable of maintaining a heterosexual relationship, the rabbinic prohibitions that have been associated with other gay and lesbian intimate acts are superseded based upon the Talmudic principle of kvod habriot, our obligation to preserve the human dignity of all people." As regards admittance to seminaries and cantorial schools the paper instructs that LGBT students are to be admitted without prejudice.

Importantly, it also refrains from addressing the issue of same-sex marriages or blessings for civil unions; saying that the many halachic questions which would have to be addressed fell outside the scope of the paper. The rabbis did say though that they "favor the establishment of committed and loving relationships for gay and lesbian Jews", paving the way for the adoption, in 2012, of an addendum to Homosexuality, Human Dignity, and Halakah which laid out ceremonies and blessings for Jewish same-sex marriages. As is the way with the Conservative movement, the various synagogues, seminaries, and cantorial schools which are affiliated with the movement can choose which responsa they wish to adhere to; recognising that they all establish valid halachic positions. I, obviously, tend towards the first two responsa; and if I ever ended up a rabbi I would not officiate same-sex marriages. But taken as a whole, I would say that if one were to average the three responsa together, the position of Conservative Judaism could broadly be summed up as "no anal, please, and celibacy and/or heterosexual marriage are ideal, but while we encourage you to live up to these standards we understand if you can't."

On 12/29/2015 at 2:24 PM, Delores Stariana said:

Ok, so most of you know I don't approve of homosexuality and therefore I don't approve of bisexuality. I think both are a sin, however, I'm not going to hate them and I don't mind being friends with them. I'll love them but, spiritually and with my moral beliefs, I can't approve. But I won't treat them any differently then anyone else.

amen

I wouldn´t hate people who are gay, bisexual, or transgender. I still love them but i just don´t like the sin they are commiting but in the bible says we have to love everybody

1 hour ago, Michi said:

I wouldn´t hate people who are gay, bisexual, or transgender. I still love them but i just don´t like the sin they are commiting but in the bible says we have to love everybody

People complain on many sides about this approach, but I still think this is basically just right.

Just now, Nicene Nerd said:

People complain on many sides about this approach, but I still think this is basically just right.

yeah. there are alot of christians that i´ve met that have offended and been mean to homsexuals

1 hour ago, Michi said:

I like this approach, but sometimes it can be difficult when the rubber meets the road in day to day life. For example, my cousin just got engaged to her girlfriend and my Aunt (her mother), who doesn't support homosexuality, refuses to go with her to pick out a wedding dress. Sure it's understandable, and my cousin really wants to avoid forcing people to accept her choices, but she's definitely hurt by my aunts refusal. Likewise you get the situation of a christian who refuses to use a transgendered person's desired pronouns. Is this standing up for their beliefs or being unkind? 

Its just a tough situation, something that requires a lot of grace to navigate. 

13 minutes ago, Marley said:

I like this approach, but sometimes it can be difficult when the rubber meets the road in day to day life. For example, my cousin just got engaged to her girlfriend and my Aunt (her mother), who doesn't support homosexuality, refuses to go with her to pick out a wedding dress. Sure it's understandable, and my cousin really wants to avoid forcing people to accept her choices, but she's definitely hurt by my aunts refusal. Likewise you get the situation of a christian who refuses to use a transgendered person's desired pronouns. Is this standing up for their beliefs or being unkind? 

Its just a tough situation, something that requires a lot of grace to navigate. 

I actually do agree with you because sometimes it is hard to share our belief to a homosexual person. it is tough