Sign of the horns  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay for Christians to do the sign of the horns?

• Yes
    • No

Doing the sign of the horns is common in heavy metal culture, and Christian musicians like Mark Tremonti (Catholic) and Scott Stapp (Protestant) of the band Creed do it, as seen in the picture below. According to Wikipedia Ronnie James Dio of Black Sabbath had a grandmother who used the sign to "ward off the evil eye", and Dio began using the sign in order to connect with his fans like Ozzy Osbourne did with the peace sign.

What do you guys think, should Christians not do the sign during concerts because it can refer to the Devil, or do you think it's okay to do it for the sake of connecting with other metal fans?

I made a poll for those who wish to anonymously participate, or don't wish to join in on the debate but merely say if they approve/oppose it.

creed_horns_2.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to include the poll! It has now been added.

Edited by lisa98

I think it is simply a gesture, though, I personally don't use it because I think it is stupid. XD

Fair enough hehe. 

Haven't seen this many great musicians mentioned in a thread in a long time.

Mark Tremonti is severely underrated.

In heavy metal culture, that is rock on!
In Texas, it means GO LONGHORNS!!!!
In American Sign language, it means BS. :P

If you do not wish to communicate the above, do not make said gesture.

Literally no one knows that you'd be making devil horns. If they did, they'd probably not care.

Haven't seen this many great musicians mentioned in a thread in a long time.

Mark Tremonti is severely underrated.

Not only is he an incredible guitarist, his singing is superb as well! Seems like a genuinely good guy too. :D

Not only is he an incredible guitarist, his singing is superb as well! Seems like a genuinely good guy too. :D

I'll have to check it out. My only experience with his singing is as the backing vocals when they are prevalent (eg "Open Your Eyes" by Alter Bridge).

I'll have to check it out. My only experience with his singing is as the backing vocals when they are prevalent (eg "Open Your Eyes" by Alter Bridge).

In "Words Darker Than Their Wings" by AB Tremonti is having a conversation with Myles Kennedy about faith. Basically Kennedy says that he's not sure that there is a God, and Tremonti says that he believes, and hopes that Kennedy loses his fear of religion.

Kennedy's parents were Christian scientists and when he was 4 years old his dad died of a disease that could've been medically treated, and it's understandably led to fear (Another "fun" fact is that it's probably the reason that he's a self-proclaimed hypochondriac and washed his hands around 30 times a day if I remember correctly.). He's stated in an interview that he's agnostic.

Mark Tremonti has his own band now, named after his surname, in which he sings the lead vocals and also plays guitar. My favorite song by them is "Flying Monkeys". It's really slow but still heavy, and it's an amazing combination. :D