Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

lisa98

How often do you pray, and about what?

Praying   19 members have voted

1. 1. How many times do you usually pray per day?

• 5-9
    • 10+
  2. 2. What do you usually pray about?

• I thank the Lord
    • I ask for strength etc.
    • I ask for forgiveness for sins
    • I pray for other people

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
29 posts in this topic

I'm curious about how often you guys usually pray each day. Both questions are answered anonymously. In the first question you can only choose one option, and in the second question you can choose several.

I personally pray once every day, always before I go to sleep. I then thank the Lord for the good things that have happened during the day, and ask for courage, strength or whatever I feel that I need in that moment. I also pray an "extra" time if I find out that somebody has died, or if something I'm extra thankful for happens.

I have Asperger's and like to have a routine to follow, that's why I seldom pray on other occasions than before bed.

Edited by lisa98

I pray constantly throughout the day about little things. And when people just randomly come to mind I pray for them too, just short simple prayers. I also try to thank God for good things that come along throughout the day, it helps in everyday life to be in a place of thankfulness.

I pray constantly throughout the day about little things. And when people just randomly come to mind I pray for them too, just short simple prayers. I also try to thank God for good things that come along throughout the day, it helps in everyday life to be in a place of thankfulness.

I agree, it's important to take notice of the little things that make your day better. I feel that since I started paying extra attention to those little things, my general mood has improved.  :thumbsup: 

Edited by lisa98

I pray at night; then I ask for forgiveness from my guardian angel, patron saint, and the Lord. (Paraskeve is my patron saint) I thank the Lord for the blessed day which I have had, I ask for strength for the next day, and pray for my friends, family, and those I don't like.

(I like everybody on this forum, if anyone was curious.)

I pray at night; then I ask for forgiveness from my guardian angel, patron saint, and the Lord. (Paraskeve is my patron saint) I thank the Lord for the blessed day which I have had, I ask for strength for the next day, and pray for my friends, family, and those I don't like.

(I like everybody on this forum, if anyone was curious.)

I must admit that I'm not very familiar with guardian angels and patron saints. How do you know which are yours? And can you tell their presences apart?

This covers patron saints quite well.

http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/orthname.aspx

Most often you have a saint that is chosen at your birth and bapstism/chrismation when you are a baby. Our family converted to Eastern Orthodoxy when I was six, so I chose my own saint(there are a couple spellings of her name):

http://www.orthodoxchristian.info/pages/Paraskevi.htm 

Guardian angels are covered in this article here:

http://www.antiochian.org/node/18443

I have to run errands with my mom, so I'll get back to you later on today.

Edited by paraskeve

Not sure how many times I pray. I usually just pray through out my day, and about random things. It ranges from forgiveness to simply how I feel. 

I try to pray once a day but i've been thinking more about praying during the day, how it doesn't need to be like an "official" thing, like "im praying now"... you know? its more like an endless conversation with god, so i think praying can happen anywhere.... but, like, praying doesn't come that easily for me... like its hard to know what to say or something. Anyway I thank God when I pray and i usually pray for other people, too. Mostly at night before bed.

I try to pray once a day but i've been thinking more about praying during the day, how it doesn't need to be like an "official" thing, like "im praying now"... you know? its more like an endless conversation with god, so i think praying can happen anywhere.... but, like, praying doesn't come that easily for me... like its hard to know what to say or something. Anyway I thank God when I pray and i usually pray for other people, too. Mostly at night before bed.

:thumbsup:

Not sure as to how many times I pray ,but I pray quite a bit during the day. I like to thank God for everything, ask Him for forgiveness and strength, and pray on the behalf of others.

This is fiction but everything's so dull, forgive me.

Every time they come, tapping at the walls with hands pale and full of claws.

My prayer life? ..... Um.... well.... *runs away* 

This is me on many, many days.

Edited by Boogles

I've struggled with my prayer life for years and years. To the point where I eventually just stepped back and took a more active and less "heady" faith. I thank God for people and happenings in my life daily and I do make a point to prayer for friends and those who ask me for my prayers.... Having a "conversation with God" on a daily basis for me just feels forced. Almost plastic. I think the problem was too often asking for direction. An anxious person my nature, I'd end up wringing my hands waiting for some clue as to what God wanted me to do in a given situation that I'd just end up frustrated with his silence. I look back now and see that more as a calling to be more confident in my own decision making. A well formed conscious means one shouldn't have to wait for imaginary 'signs' all the time when they're worried about a decision. To much thought. Not enough action. Story of my life.  Idk. I'm probably bitter.  

I have a... weird prayer life. 

I've always found that whole "relax and talk to God like He's your best friend" thing really difficult. It's just not in my nature, I don't think, Being honest? Yes. Being casual in a conversation with God? No. I'm more formal with God than I might be with, say, my friends or my family. Perhaps it's the same level of formality I might use with a professor. More serious than lighthearted, but still sincere. 

When it's just a quick "help me, God" kind of prayer, I'll go off the top of my own head. I do use more structured methods of prayer when I've got more actual prayer time. The Anglican Rosary is great, prayers from a variety of Anglican liturgies, as well as meditating on Scripture or wise words of the saints. There's also a Lutheran method of using prayer beads called the Wreath of Christ that I find really helpful in settling my mind on God; it's not exactly pre-written prayer, but more different things to pray about and meditate on.  

I also find really resting into the Lord's Prayer very comforting when I'm struggling with something. It encompasses for me all the important parts of the Christian life and cultivating a relationship with Father, Son and Holy Spirit: recognising God as Lord above all else (Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name); learning to give over control of life to God (Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven); going to God for all our needs (Give us today our daily bread); hoping in the redemption offered by Christ and His example (and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us); trusting in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit (and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil). When all else fails, that's what I'll go to.

I have a... weird prayer life. 

I've always found that whole "relax and talk to God like He's your best friend" thing really difficult. It's just not in my nature, I don't think, Being honest? Yes. Being casual in a conversation with God? No. I'm more formal with God than I might be with, say, my friends or my family. Perhaps it's the same level of formality I might use with a professor. More serious than lighthearted, but still sincere. 

When it's just a quick "help me, God" kind of prayer, I'll go off the top of my own head. I do use more structured methods of prayer when I've got more actual prayer time.

I'm also quite formal, and I try to stick to talking about important things rather than blabber on about things that I find irrelevant in regards of growing closer to God. My regular prayers at night are quite structured and contain a set of categories I suppose, but I adapt them to each day, so the prayers end up never being the same two days in a row.

I understand how people who think you should talk to God like your best friend reason; it's important to be honest and trusting with God, and if that way works for them, that's great! Though I feel that it is right for me to show respect and such by being formal.

I'm sorry that I forgot to include a "less than once per day" option! I can be quite forgetful at times.

I usually pray about three times a day, sometimes more, always at least twice. I pray about my problems, the problems of others, and also to thank the mighty Lord for being so good to His children and giving us so many wonderful things and doing so much for us.

I pray almost any hour. My dad comes home 'Thank you father, for bringing my dad home' I see the news, God please save this country. I'm on my way out, 'God lead my way'. I need something, 'Lord please make a way for me'. A friend is ill, 'Lord please lay your healing hand on them'.

Definitely over ten times.

Not as often as I should.

If something is weighing heavily on my heart and mind I'll pray about it. I also pray for my friends and family. I thank God for His mercy and grace more than anything else probably.

Prayer is a necessity, it is the backbone of all believers.If a believer's prayer life is captured,he is but a living dead. For effective prayer, pray mid-day and mid-night(3 hours each).

Prayer is a necessity, it is the backbone of all believers.If a believer's prayer life is captured,he is but a living dead. For effective prayer, pray mid-day and mid-night(3 hours each).

i pray all the time, in exams, in school, in bed, random, really. whenever i feel the need. i put 5-9 cos it was the broadest answer.