Sign in to follow this  
HisHonesty

Atheist Dad?

Hi y'all, thanks for taking the time to read this. So my dad just said something condescending about Christians, which is not unusual for him, to which I replied by asking if he was an atheist, and I was stunned when he flat out said "Yes." Naturally, I asked why, and he said some things that were completely false and disregarded all of my arguments as wrong. The argument got relatively heated until my mom changed the subject. I feel hurt and worried for my dad, who is a wonderful man that I love dearly. I want him to understand God's love so badly, but I don't want him to resent me (or religion even more than he already does) for trying to push him. I've thought my whole life that he was just skeptical, I had no idea that he actually didn't believe in God. Any advice?

My dad (who grown up in communist country) is atheist too, so is my brother (who believe in evolution, big bang etc.), and only thing i can do is to pray for them, i can't and i don't want to change them if they don't want to change. :(

So, my advice is only to pray,

If he is skeptical as you say, i think convincing/debating will only do cons effect.

Maybe you're just as guilty at disregarding his arguments as wrong as he is yours. 

You should always be willing to consider his side and he should always be willing to consider yours, and maybe he did consider it or believe it once upon a time.

Having an atheist for a father doesn't make him a bad man or a bad person. It makes him a human being. The best way to make him more resentful toward religion is to try and impose it on him more and more. I never appreciate it when people do it to me, and it in fact makes me more angry at Christianity and Christians in general.

If he doesn't want God's love, don't offer it to him. You can cause much more harm than good if you keep pushing it.

I think Jakob is right here.

I think the best thing any Christian can do is lead their life as a good example of Christianity and then tell them they are Christian. You cannot force anyone to believe. And arguing simply makes it worse. I've befriended some people who usually hate Christians, but because of my example caused them to see Christians in a slightly different light. And truly, it is up to the individual.

I must say Jakob is right. There is nothing wrong with sharing your faith with him, but if he isn't interested in hearing what you have to say, pushing it on him won't help your case. 

Thanks lovelies! Anytime someone tries to force their opinion on me, I resent it, so why would it be any different for him? Thanks again!