Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

God's Faithful Girl

So angry!!!

Some of you may know, I'm autistic. I'm what people call high functioning because I've adapted my social skills and other skills over the past few years. Anyway, there are two brothers at my school. Both lower functioning. Nobody is nice to them but me! All because their lack of social skills! I was just like them a few years ago and it makes me so mad. These are sweet kids too, not jerks!

Typical Highschool drama. Give it a year or two and people will like them. Still, this is messed up.

): I am sorry people are so mean.

I remember down my street, there was a girl who was told not to talk to me because my little siblings were autistic...I couldn't believe the ignorance... Remember, the way they treat you for it does not define you, it defines them. I'll pray for you.

The people who treat them badly are only hurting themselves.

Edited by Cato

The people who treat them badly are only hurting themselves.

This is (one of) the reason(s)  I have a hard time getting on-board with quasi-Socratic stoicism. It just feels wrong to tell a victim of marginalization that it's OK--their enemies aren't really hurting them anyway! 

It's heroic when Socrates uses this to endure his own suffering, but it's less noble as a suggestion for other people.

This is (one of) the reason(s)  I have a hard time getting on-board with quasi-Socratic stoicism. It just feels wrong to tell a victim of marginalization that it's OK--their enemies aren't really hurting them anyway! 

It's heroic when Socrates uses this to endure his own suffering, but it's less noble as a suggestion for other people.

Of course it's not "OK", but the fact of the matter is that when someone treats you badly in this way, it doesn't do anything to you, any negative effect it has on you is an illusion, and internal, not external. Your own actions determine who you are, not the actions of others. It doesn't have to be comforting if it's true.

Of course it's not "OK", but the fact of the matter is that when someone treats you badly in this way, it doesn't do anything to you, any negative effect it has on you is an illusion, and internal, not external. Your own actions determine who you are, not the actions of others. It doesn't have to be comforting if it's true. 

I'm skeptical that it's true. Social ostracization is physically harmful because of its neurological and hormonal effects. Status-loss diminishes people's and especially guys' ability to function properly. Other forms of social-physical harm exist. Clearly, though, this is a topic for a different thread.

Edited by Chris-M

You know, those people who are unfriendly to your brothers are the ones who really are the low functioning people. Don't feel discouraged.

I'm sure everything will work out fine in the end, trusting in God it always will.