Faithful Kevin

The God that did nothing

Hello, members of CTF.

I'd like to present a problem I have with Jahweh's morality.

God created Adam and Eve and allowed them to be deceived by Lucifer, which exposed his human creation to the eternal torture of hell.  Why would God allow this to happen?  Didn't he love humanity enough to avoid creating Lucifer so that millions wouldn't go to the pits of hell?

That's only part of the problem.

We are all held accountable for things that our ancestors did.  Isn't that absurd?  Why should I be held responsible for things my ancestors did hundreds or even thousands of years ago?  This is the problem with the gospel.  Since Adam and Eve have sinned, the entire world now needs to repent and cleanse themselves.

What exactly does the world need to be saved from? 

They need to be saved from the hell God created.  God allowed sin to enter humanity and is seeing how millions are being tortured in hell.  He knew millions if not billions would end up suffering in the pits of hell.  If he knew so many people would die to spend an eternity in hell, why in the world would he create them in the first place if he so loved them?   Think about this.  If God is saddened by the fact that individuals will be sent to hell, why in the world would he even bother with their existence? 

I'd like to read your answers. 

Edited by Faithful Kevin

Gods morals are perfect compared to ours. So I'd like to present something new to the board. What's wrong with our morals. If you don't wanna see people goin to Hell Kevin, then start praying and witnessing and telling others about God. Cause they won't get to heaven unfortunately, if they don't get saved. Even the ones that never hear of him will go to hell. They will look at us and say "why, why didn't you tell me". Scary thought ain't it. Remember, yes, God does love us all. But he gives us a choice. A simple, free choice of whether or not to accept him even if you've never heard of God. So those that end up in Hell either never chose or didn't believe in God. Instead, they are in a sense going to hell. No water and eternal suffering from extreme burning pain, extreme dry through and every unimaginable thing.

Gods morals are perfect compared to ours. So I'd like to present something new to the board. What's wrong with our morals. If you don't wanna see people goin to Hell Kevin, then start praying and witnessing and telling others about God. Cause they won't get to heaven unfortunately, if they don't get saved. Even the ones that never hear of him will go to hell. They will look at us and say "why, why didn't you tell me". Scary thought ain't it. Remember, yes, God does love us all. But he gives us a choice. A simple, free choice of whether or not to accept him even if you've never heard of God. So those that end up in Hell either never chose or didn't believe in God. Instead, they are in a sense going to hell. No water and eternal suffering from extreme burning pain, extreme dry through and every unimaginable thing.

You haven't answered all of my questions.  You didn't address the problem with Christianity pinning responsibility on individuals today for things people did thousands of years ago. 

"Gods morals are perfect compared to ours."  Let's put that to the test.  I'll use a hypothetical situation.  A father allows his young child to run across a street and observes how a car tramples over the child.  The father could have prevented the catastrophe, however, he chose to do nothing. Is the father moral or immoral for what he did?

Let's give God's morals compared to ours another test.  Suppose you have a child that killed someone.  Would you lock your child in your basement to be tortured for the rest of your life as punishment? 

"If you don't wanna see people goin to Hell Kevin, then start praying and witnessing and telling others about God."  I'm not a christian.

"Even the ones that never hear of him will go to hell."  The Christian bible doesn't teach that at all.  I'm sure many Christians will disagree with you on this.

"They will look at us and say "why, why didn't you tell me". Scary thought ain't it."  Yes.  It's scary.  Fear-mongering is part of the recruitment process in Christianity.  God created evil, evil entered the human species, the humans now either accept to become a Christian or burn in hell.   There isn't much of a choice there and it is very similar to a Mob mentality where the mob will hurt you if you don't buy their protection.  You're not left with much of a choice.  If you have a common sense of self-preservation the chances are you will buy that protection, which is based on fear.

A god that will punish a person for not choosing to worship him is a selfish god.  God, like the abusive husband, will punish you if you don't love him.   It's ridiculous.

Edited by Faithful Kevin

"If you don't wanna see people goin to Hell Kevin, then start praying and witnessing and telling others about God."  I'm not a christian.

Hold up, since when have you not been Christian?

You haven't answered all of my questions.  You didn't address the problem with Christianity pinning responsibility on individuals today for things people did thousands of years ago. 

"Gods morals are perfect compared to ours."  Let's put that to the test.  I'll use a hypothetical situation.  A father allows his young child to run across a street and observes how a car tramples over the child.  The father could have prevented the catastrophe, however, he chose to do nothing. Is the father moral or immoral for what he did?

Let's give God's morals compared to ours another test.  Suppose you have a child that killed someone.  Would you lock your child in your basement to be tortured for the rest of your life as punishment? 

"Even the ones that never hear of him will go to hell."  The Christian bible doesn't teach that at all.  I'm sure many Christians will disagree with you on this.

"They will look at us and say "why, why didn't you tell me". Scary thought ain't it."  Yes.  It's scary.  Fear-mongering is part of the recruitment process in Christianity.  God created evil, evil entered the human species, the humans now either accept to become a Christian or burn in hell.   There isn't much of a choice there and it is very similar to a Mob mentality where the mob will hurt you if you don't buy their protection.  You're not left with much of a choice.  If you have a common sense of self-preservation the chances are you will buy that protection, which is based on fear.

A god that will punish a person for not choosing to worship him is a selfish god.  God, like the abusive husband, will punish you if you don't love him.   It's ridiculous.

Eh...I'm gonna call troll. But to answer what I hear from you is that God is abusive, selfish, evil, etc.

God is perfect in every way, He's perfectly loving, yet He's also perfectly just; and God's standards of justice we sometimes don't understand because we're just human.

And God allowed sin to enter the world because He wanted mankind to have a choice, and to be able to do everything they do from their own freewill, without God controlling us. He doesn't want us to just be like puppets which He controls and tell Him how much we love Him constantly, He wants us to worship Him and give Him glory by our choice. Another example is what if someone came up to you, put a gun to your head, and said, "Tell me you love me, or I'll kill you." You would of course tell the person that you love him, but there would be no honesty or sincerity behind it. God isn't into us going through the motions and telling Him how much we love him without any conviction. So God gave us freewill to sincerely worship Him, and we messed up that freewill back in the Garden of Eden, and have paid the price ever since.

Then you should change your biography.

To be fair, his bio seems only to imply that he is a theist.

Yours is a particularly simplistic understanding of the Gospel and the biblical literature. Firstly, you are treating existential mythology as if it was a literal narrative. So, I would fault your first criticism for thinking that God somehow literally allowed Lucifer to enter a physical Garden of Eden and corrupt humankind. The author(s) of Genesis is teaching us something about the sad state of man, not writing a modernist history book. Secondly, we are not held guilty for what our ancestors have done. Original sin has been totally perverted in the historical reception of theology. Original sin is a stain at the core of our being. It is not that we are faulted for what a literal Adam and Eve have done, but rather that human beings partake of the stain of death in their being. We are born into a contradiction between Love and Death. Love is our Truth, but Death presents itself as a negation in the heart of our existence. Lastly, we need to be saved from the ontological corruption of ourselves so that we can live truly human lives. By uniting ourselves with Christ's being in the Eucharist, in our sacramental lives, we can find salvation from the power of Death that works in us.

"jahweh..."

Are you a Jehovah's Witness? Just wondering, considering I know a bit about that faith as well.

He said he isn't Christian.

Jahweh is Hebrew for Jesus

Hold up, since when have you not been Christian?

Hi, Zabby.  It's nice to see you again.

It's been about three months since I've decided I no longer wanted to worship Yahweh.

Edited by Faithful Kevin

Eh...I'm gonna call troll. But to answer what I hear from you is that God is abusive, selfish, evil, etc.

Your call is wrong.  I'd like for you to answer my questions.

FOX545:  

"God is perfect in every way"  What does that even mean?   

"and God's standards of justice we sometimes don't understand because we're just human."

We should simply dismiss God's immoral actions just because we're human and Yahweh is a god, a diety?  I disagree.  I believe every person should use their judgment when choosing who to worship.

Jakob:

I agree that there isn't an explanation in the bible as to why Yahweh allowed sin to exist.  I don't classify natural disasters as evil.

I don't know Caleb, but it'll be interesting to read his response to my questions.

I tip my hat at the paragraph you wrote describing penal substitution.  I didn't know that concept had a name.  Thank you.  I'm happy I'm not the only one in this forum with these thoughts.  And yes, it is abuse.

I'm interested in reading about your newly formed belief.  You may PM me if you'd like to keep it private.
May you recommend books for me?

Thanks for writing.

GearheadGirl-440ci.:

You're right.

Wesker:

To be clear, it doesn't take very much to understand that the God of the Christian bible is all knowing and all powerful, that nothing comes to pass if it's not by his will.  So, by that logic, it's safe to mention that God allowed Adam and Eve to be deceived.  

I'd like you to elaborate on what way people are supposed to understand what exactly happened in the Garden of Eden.

"Secondly, we are not held guilty for what our ancestors have done. Original sin has been totally perverted in the historical reception of theology. Original sin is a stain at the core of our being. It is not that we are faulted for what a literal Adam and Eve have done, but rather that human beings partake of the stain of death in their being."

I like your explanation.  Thank you.

"We are born into a contradiction between Love and Death. Love is our Truth, but Death presents itself as a negation in the heart of our existence."

I don't understand this concept.

"Lastly, we need to be saved from the ontological corruption of ourselves so that we can live truly human lives. By uniting ourselves with Christ's being in the Eucharist, in our sacramental lives, we can find salvation from the power of Death that works in us."

It seems this is the core of your belief, however, this isn't necessarily what I believe.  Thanks for sharing.

Jesusismyticket:

I don't associate with any religion.  I wrote "Jahweh" thinking this name is written the same way in English as it is in Spanish.  His name in Spanish is "Jehová".

Edited by Faithful Kevin

Now, that I have answers to the former, I shall answer the very best I can. Please note I am a Catholic, so this will be heavily Catholic.

Why would God allow this to happen?: Well, while God did not desire man to sin, He also gave man FREE WILL. This free will allows man to choose his fate, rather then just be mindless.

Didn't he love humanity enough to avoid creating Lucifer so that millions wouldn't go to the pits of hell?: Actually, Hell is a choice. Hell is just a place absent of God. These people who rejected Him will forever feel the pain of not having the Beatific Vision, which man was made for. Lucifer is simply an archangel who went against God. Angels were made with free will as well, so Lucifer chose to turn against God. God does not force us to do anything. Even the prophets, God asked them to take their roles.

That's only part of the problem.

We are all held accountable for things that our ancestors did.  Isn't that absurd?  Why should I be held responsible for things my ancestors did hundreds or even thousands of years ago?  This is the problem with the gospel.  Since Adam and Eve have sinned, the entire world now needs to repent and cleanse themselves.: Actually, the Original Sin does not take anything away from you, besides the special gifts God gave to Adam and Eve, such as complete control over their passions, complete knowledge, etc. He didn't take life, He just took the special gifts He'd given them. You have the rights to every other human, only the gifts were taken.

What exactly does the world need to be saved from? 

They need to be saved from the hell God created.  God allowed sin to enter humanity and is seeing how millions are being tortured in hell.  He knew millions if not billions would end up suffering in the pits of hell.  If he knew so many people would die to spend an eternity in hell, why in the world would he create them in the first place if he so loved them?   Think about this.  If God is saddened by the fact that individuals will be sent to hell, why in the world would he even bother with their existence?: God made man, and saw it was good. We will never know why God truly made any of His creations, it is one of those supernatural mysteries. All we know is He did, and He loves us...

Again, man's free choice. God does not force man to choose Him...

So I am too tired tonight to respond to everything you have said Jakob. However, I merely wanted to voice my discomfort with the writings of Bart Ehrman. He seems to presuppose what he intends to prove. Hans Küng and Marcus Borg have a similar a priori liberal textual approach. That is, it is presupposed that Christ and the disciples could not thought He was God, and the arguments trying to prove that are somewhat weak. It is almost as if this liberal tradition of textual analysis has two fundamental points: (α) Christ was obviously not God and Orthodox Christianity is bankrupt, but (β) we still have an affection towards Christ that we cannot totally discard so we must save the true legacy of Christ, a good man, from those who assert He was a delusional messiah, who thought He was God.

It is, then, armed with these two propositions, that liberal textualists begin dismantling the text of the Gospels and eviscerating every passage that does not fit with their preconceived notions into the category of a latter insertion.

Edited by Wesker

So I am too tired tonight to respond to everything you have said Jakob. However, I merely wanted to voice my discomfort with the writings of Bart Ehrman. He seems to presuppose what he intends to prove. Hans Küng and Marcus Borg have a similar a prioriliberal textual approach. That is, it is presupposed that Christ and the disciples could not thought He was God, and the arguments trying to prove that are somewhat weak. It is almost as if this liberal tradition of textual analysis has two fundamental points: (α) Christ was obviously not God and Orthodox Christianity is bankrupt, but (β) we still have an affection towards Christ that we cannot totally discard so we must save the true legacy of Christ, a good man, from those who assert He was a delusional messiah, who thought He was God.

It is, then, armed with these two propositions, that liberal textualists begin dismantling the text of the Gospels and eviscerating every passage that does not fit with their preconceived notions into the category of a latter insertion.

Not to be rude, but I barely understand what you're talking about, and you've practically trained me. You might consider trying to translate your jargon into the vernacular.

Which is a thought I have in general. It seems unlikely that many of these posts make sense to Kevin, unless he's well-read in everyone from Hegel to Spinoza.

Edited by Chris-M

FOX545:  

"God is perfect in every way"  What does that even mean?   

"and God's standards of justice we sometimes don't understand because we're just human."

We should simply dismiss God's immoral actions just because we're human and Yahweh is a god, a diety?  I disagree.  I believe every person should use their judgment when choosing who to worship.

God being perfect in every way means that He is without blemish, error, or imperfection, that there is nothing wrong with Him.  Check out the first part of Psalm 18:30 "This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true"

This kinda relates to your first point. God is perfect. He cannot commit any form of immoral actions because of that perfection. And that's the point, that every person should and does have the judgment and can choose who they want to worship. Like my example in my first post, God doesn't want fake love, or insincerity from us, He wants us to worship Him by our own choice and freewill because we sincerely love Him. I hope that makes sense to you, if it doesn't, please ask away and make clear any questions ;)

Jesusismyticket:

I disagree with you on your first paragraph. Hell is not a choice.  No one chooses to go to hell.

"Hell is just a place absent of God."
That must mean God isn't omniscient, he is not in all places according to you. "God does not force us to do anything." You either accept Jesus or you burn in hell.  That's forceful to me.

I also disagree with a few things of your second paragraph.
I don't recall Adam and Eve having special gifts such as control of their passions and complete knowledge.  God did, however, curse them with death and a number of other things.

So, still, thanks to God allowing Satan to deceive Adam and Eve, we're all cursed with death and hell if we don't repent.

Jakob:

Thank you for taking the time to write your recommendations and telling me a bit about yourself!  I'll be happy to chat from time to time.

Wesker:  

I'd still like for you to elaborate on how people are supposed to understand what happened in the Garden of Eden since you've written that the form I have understood it is incorrect.

Chris-M:

I don't understand their jargon either.  It's not a problem, anyways, Wesker and Jakob had their separate discussion from my topic.

FOX545:
Thanks for posting that bible verse.  I have a different view, though.  The bible says he is perfect, however, his actions only show how violent he is.  The bible mentions how he ordered genocide and infanticide.  That is more than enough to say that this is not a moral god.  That is a contradiction.

God wants us to worship him with all of our hearts but the problem is he threatens us with hell if we don't.  There is no way I can ignore such an absurdity.  I tried for over 5 years, it created fear, not love.

Edited by Faithful Kevin

Jesusismyticket:

I disagree with you on your first paragraph. Hell is not a choice.  No one chooses to go to hell."Hell is just a place absent of God."

That must mean God isn't omniscient, he is not in all places according to you. "God does not force us to do anything." You either accept Jesus or you burn in hell.  That's forceful to me.

I also disagree with a few things of your second paragraph.

I don't recall Adam and Eve having special gifts such as control of their passions and complete knowledge.  God did, however, curse them with death and a number of other things.

So, still, thanks to God allowing Satan to deceive Adam and Eve, we're all cursed with death and hell if we don't repent.Jakob:

Thank you for taking the time to write your recommendations and telling me a bit about yourself!  I'll be happy to chat from time to time.Wesker:  

I'd still like for you to elaborate on how people are supposed to understand what happened in the Garden of Eden since you've written that the form I have understood it is incorrect.

Chris-M:

I don't understand their jargon either.  It's not a problem, anyways, Wesker and Jakob had their separate discussion from my topic.FOX545:

Thanks for posting that bible verse.  I have a different view, though.  The bible says he is perfect, however, his actions only show how violent he is.  The bible mentions how he ordered genocide and infanticide.  That is more than enough to say that this is not a moral god.  That is a contradiction.

God wants us to worship him with all of our hearts but the problem is he threatens us with hell if we don't.  There is no way I can ignore such an absurdity.  I tried for over 5 years, it created fear, not love.

Eh. Typical atheist belief. You are only letting yourself see what you wanna see. If you open your heart and eyes, you will see God as he is. Not some monster you believe him to be.

FOX545:

Now you must bear in mind, that violence doesn't necessarily mean immoral or flawed. If you read through the Old Testament you will see a large number of times which God sends the Israelites into battle and war, but it's never just to kill people, there is always a just cause behind it. And when it comes to things like genocide and infanticide, those aren't things God orders to happen, but things He permits to happen. The devil always want to kill, steal, and murder, and usually God doesn't allow that; but you must remember that God is perfectly just, and sometimes God gives permission to Devil to do such things. And don't get me wrong, God doesn't enjoy killing people, or having the suffer, but things like those are a direct result of the fall of man back in the Garden of Eden, when man made the decision which brought sin into the world. And in places such as Sodom and Gomorrah, God gave chance after chance for the people to repent, He event sent believers there to try to convert them; but the people blatantly rejected God, and as a result they were wiped out.

I don't think of hell as a threat, and I don't think you should either. Hell is a result of our sin, for people who are given the chance to come to Christ, yet repeatedly refuse. It all ties back to how God is perfectly just, there needs to be some form of just punishment for those who reject God, and that is hell. Now to us it may seem pretty extreme of a punishment, but you must remember that God is perfect, and that there cannot be sin in His kingdom (Heaven) because God if perfect, and if there was sin then He would no longer be perfect. So what it comes down to is two options, perfection or sin. And we all mess up, so none of us could possibly make it to  Heaven because none of us are perfect, to put it simply: We were screwed. But that's where Jesus comes in. He took the punishment we deserved, the punishment for our sin and mistakes. Remember how God is perfectly just? Someone had to take the punishment, for us, and that someone had to be without blemish- aka perfect. And after He took that punishment all we have to do to get into Heaven and out of Hell is to believe, and put your faith in Jesus alone. I really like the way it was put in this video

The existence of Heaven and Hell aren't to create fear in believers, but I think it's more to motivate them of the urgency to share the Gospel with those who don't know. I like the way it's put in 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

Now you must bear in mind, that violence doesn't necessarily mean immoral or flawed. If you read through the Old Testament you will see a large number of times which God sends the Israelites into battle and war, but it's never just to kill people, there is always a just cause behind it. And when it comes to things like genocide and infanticide, those aren't things God orders to happen, but things He permits to happen. The devil always want to kill, steal, and murder, and usually God doesn't allow that; but you must remember that God is perfectly just, and sometimes God gives permission to Devil to do such things. And don't get me wrong, God doesn't enjoy killing people, or having the suffer, but things like those are a direct result of the fall of man back in the Garden of Eden, when man made the decision which brought sin into the world. And in places such as Sodom and Gomorrah, God gave chance after chance for the people to repent, He event sent believers there to try to convert them; but the people blatantly rejected God, and as a result they were wiped out.

I don't think of hell as a threat, and I don't think you should either. Hell is a result of our sin, for people who are given the chance to come to Christ, yet repeatedly refuse. It all ties back to how God is perfectly just, there needs to be some form of just punishment for those who reject God, and that is hell. Now to us it may seem pretty extreme of a punishment, but you must remember that God is perfect, and that there cannot be sin in His kingdom (Heaven) because God if perfect, and if there was sin then He would no longer be perfect. So what it comes down to is two options, perfection or sin. And we all mess up, so none of us could possibly make it to  Heaven because none of us are perfect, to put it simply: We were screwed. But that's where Jesus comes in. He took the punishment we deserved, the punishment for our sin and mistakes. Remember how God is perfectly just? Someone had to take the punishment, for us, and that someone had to be without blemish- aka perfect. And after He took that punishment all we have to do to get into Heaven and out of Hell is to believe, and put your faith in Jesus alone. I really like the way it was put in this video

The existence of Heaven and Hell aren't to create fear in believers, but I think it's more to motivate them of the urgency to share the Gospel with those who don't know. I like the way it's put in 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

Sure, violence isn't synonymous with immorality, however, we cannot ignore the infanticide and genocide God was responsible for, let alone wiping out the entire earth with a flood.  He is still very immoral.  Did you forget that God was responsible for killing every first born Egyptian?  God ordered it to happen.  I can't believe you're absolving Yahweh of any guilt with, "those aren't things God orders to happen, but things He permits to happen".  God clearly demanded nations to worship him or face a brutal death.   Why are you ignoring that? 

You've mentioned, "God doesn't enjoy killing people, or having the suffer" which brings me back to my first question.  Why did God allow evil if he knew it would destroy his creation?  He knew his creation would suffer in hell, so why bother creating them in the first place?  What is the point?  Does Yahweh actually like to make people suffer because they chose not to worship him?  (Again, very selfish).

You've mentioned hell and justified how people should be sent there because they chose not to worship him.  I can't be convinced that a God who has created the entire universe is absolutely concerned on who these specs of dust choose to worship.  If he's so insecure/jealous of who we choose to worship he should just show himself already and put an end to the mystery.

An eternity in hell, where there is fire and suffering forever is not a threat?    It might not be for you, since you're convinced you're not going there, but I know I wasn't the only Christian who feared for their salvation because of sins throughout a day or sins of thought.  Christianity places a burden that I believe is unnecessary in this life.  Since when has God shown himself and proved to everyone his existence?  When has a person regained their vision or regained a missing limb as a miracle of your god?   When has he ever done anything that would erase doubt of his existence? 

"The existence of Heaven and Hell aren't to create fear in believers, but I think it's more to motivate them of the urgency to share the Gospel with those who don't know."  That urgency is fear-induced.  The gospel teaches that humankind is doomed to hell UNLESS they repent and believe in Jesus.  THAT is the base of Christianity.  You've just mentioned it.  We're screwed.  Hell is a threat and the escape of that threat is Jesus.  You might not have fears of not being worthy enough for him, but I've known many people who have struggled with this.  It is very real and it should not be set aside.

That reminds me of something I heard that goes along like this:

God punishes finite transgressions with infinite punishment.  That is absolutely correct according to the Christian bible.  Yahweh is a just god?  I disagree.

Thanks for sharing the second bible verse.

I still can't find good reasons to worship him again.

Edited by Faithful Kevin

Eh. Typical atheist belief. You are only letting yourself see what you wanna see. If you open your heart and eyes, you will see God as he is. Not some monster you believe him to be.

That's funny.  You're claiming I don't understand God whilst only reading what I've posted on this thread.

I invite you to sort through my topics that date back years ago and see that I do understand Christianity, I just choose not to worship your god for obvious reasons to me, and overlooked reasons to you.

Have you read the OT?  Christians justify his monstrosities of the Old Testament because the bible says people were warned that if they did not repent they would die, and that the cause was holy because the purpose was to allow his beloved chosen people to thrive. 

I could preach to you if I wanted to, but I don't support Christianity anymore.  Ask around.  Zabby is a person who read my content years ago.  I vehemently stood up for what I believed was right in the eyes of Yahweh despite popular belief.

I'm still waiting for you to answer my questions, if you can.

Edited by Faithful Kevin