Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Bryce B.

If you weren't Christian..

28 posts in this topic

Haven't thought about it.

honestly, probably some Wiccan herbalist who lived out in Oregon munching on organic foods and keeping many, many pets.

I would probably be a worshiper Greek gods or something cause they're interesting to me but at the same time I can totally see myself doing the same thing as Boogles.

well, i believe in ineffability.

And maybe, I believe in, Cthulu like kids believe in superheroes.

honestly, probably some Wiccan herbalist who lived out in Oregon munching on organic foods and keeping many, many pets.

Seconded. 

I don't know about Wiccanism but something Pagan-y. Talk to the trees and the little people. Collect crystals and and animal sculls. Follow the seasons. Celebrate the solstice. Dance around in a forest glen with deer antlers strapped to my head..... I could dig it.  

Edited by Marley

Seconded. 

I don't know about Wiccanism but something Pagan-y. Talk to the trees and the little people. Collect crystals and and animal sculls. Follow the seasons. Celebrate the solstice. Dance around in a forest glen with deer antlers strapped to my head..... I could dig it.  

Painting with all the colors of the wind sounds pleasant. :P

Probably an atheist.

Cato, is there a message here, or are you just trying to add some much needed realism to this conversation?

Honestly y'all, I don't want to put down your musings about Wicca and Ancient Mythology and stuff, but I'd bet that the majority of us, if we didn't believe in the Christian God, we'd be atheists or agnostic atheists. 

Cato, is there a message here, or are you just trying to add some much needed realism to this conversation?

Since I'm an atheist, and not a Christian, the statement "If I were not a Christian, I would probably be an atheist" seems reasonably correct.

All about that Dao, boss.

I like where our relationship is going  :razz:

Maybe im being dense but can someone explain to me why you would worship a certain ancient culture's gods? I mean I get they're interesting but then actually believing in them seems like a giant leap. Why not the Romans? Or the Egyptians, or Mesopotamians? And why worship a group of gods so petty and mostly darn right awful by modern standards? Feels awfully arbitary way of choosing a belief system.

Edited by slycooper

All about that Dao, boss.

I like where our relationship is going  :razz:

Maybe im being dense but can someone explain to me why you would worship a certain ancient culture's gods? I mean I get they're interesting but then actually believing in them seems like a giant leap. Why not the Romans? Or the Egyptians, or Mesopotamians? And why worship a group of gods so petty and mostly darn right awful by modern standards? Feels awfully arbitary way of choosing a belief system.

I never said I'd worship the giant monster, and since it's an obvious fiction I can actually agree it's highly arbitrary.

I just kinda like his views on humanity to begin with.

I guess, it's more accurate to say I'd worship good fiction.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

"If I were not a Christian, I would probably be an atheist" seems reasonably correct. 

You're the best.

I don't think losing my religion would change me much. I'd still want to thrive as much in my life as possible. I'd still understand thriving to be a mental state realized by a healthy body partaking in society in a socially affirming way. I'd still take science to be the best institution for determining the efficient causes underlying personal and social health, especially with an emphasis on cognitive-behavioral psychology, anthropology, economics, and political science.

I guess I'd have more sex (since there's no scientific reason for abstinence that I'm aware of), worry about the poor less (since I can insulate myself from them and still enjoy a healthy social context), and stop caring about marriage (since there's no reason to care about future generations absent immortality). Those would be the biggest, possibly the only significant changes.

Honestly, though, given all the work that Catholicism does to improve my health, I might choose to practice this religion even if I didn't believe in it.

Edited by Chris-M

All the atheists here: "now you understand!"

:P

All the atheists here: "now you understand!"

:P

Pointiness of hats is a totally legit arbiter of truth tho. The taller the hat, the nearer you are to God or Cthulhu [delete as applicable]

Since I'm an atheist, and not a Christian, the statement "If I were not a Christian, I would probably be an atheist" seems reasonably correct.

It's correct in the basest of forms, but it has implications in the English language that you do not intend. 

It's correct in the basest of forms, but it has implications in the English language that you do not intend. 

I suspect the whole point was to be coy :P

Pointiness of hats is a totally legit arbiter of truth tho. The taller the hat, the nearer you are to God or Cthulhu [delete as applicable]

That's it, I'm converting! :P

I also like the ambiguity of how it shows "Cato: formerly known as afriendlyatheist" :P ARE YOU IMPLYING SOMETHING? ;)

Honestly y'all, I don't want to put down your musings about Wicca and Ancient Mythology and stuff, but I'd bet that the majority of us, if we didn't believe in the Christian God, we'd be atheists or agnostic atheists. 

Well sure, but I still want to dance around nekkid in the woods. 

I'm a person who likes ritual. Even if I were to be an atheist or agnostic I feel like I'd have to take up some sort of devotion. Whether that be making offerings to Odin for the lolz or getting really really serious about scrabble and wine night is anyones guess. 

Edited by Marley

Well sure, but I still want to dance around nekkid in the woods. 

I snorted.

Alot.

Way more than I should have.

I would be Darth Vader minus a master and with more master Chief armor and totaly gun ho with the Death Star 

(thank Jesus I know him :P )

I'm pretty confident either I'd be a happy but philosophically nihilistic atheist/agnostic given to naturalism, nominalism, and materialism, or I'd be a mostly agnostic existentialist with some optimism and vague belief in some supernatural dimension to reality on the side.

In either case, I'd probably be unmarried, have a strong but entirely unfulfilled wish to enjoy female companionship without any particular restraints, feel no guilt in spending however much money I please on myself despite rampant poverty and suffering in the world, and do little but use my computer and eat pizza.