Sign in to follow this  
Delores Stariana

Racism

I feel racism involves unjust treatment/speech to anyone based upon their skin color. It is a form of prejudice.

For instance if someone did not hire an African-american because they are black, racism. But it must solely be because the race, not other factors.

I do think there is double standards though.

What does racism mean to you? And do you think there's a double standard about what certain races can and can't say?

Racism is discrimination, prevention of obtaining anything essential to survival, treating someone differently solely based on race/skin color( and possibly certain cultural attributes).

However, being able to say things is more cultural that specifically racial. A prime example is the n word. if 2 blacks/African Americans/People with lots of melanin want to call each other that, fine. But a stranger or someone of another background?No way. It's kind of like your mom's nickname for you is PookyWookyLovellFluff. She calls you that, but will you let someone you don't know call you that? Noooooo, you'd find that offensive.  Similar concept, obviously, racism illicits a much stronger feeling of injustice than that, but, I digress.

There is a strict definition of what rascism is. Every other interpretation of the word is thereby not rascism.

There is a double standard sometimes I believe. When I call my black best friend a n*gger just for fun, we both laugh at it, but other people look horrified at me. If he calls me something offensive, nobody cares.

White people are not allowed to possess land in Zimbabwe which is terribly rascist. Nobody knows about it, but everybody knows about a single black man being beaten which causes riots.

When people say whites should apoligise for slavery that's rascist too, since it places by prejudment guild on people who are not guilty.

There is a strict definition of what rascism is. Every other interpretation of the word is thereby not rascism.

What is this definition, and whose is it? A dictionary's? Dictionaries get their authority from real-world usage.

LIberal vision is worse than racism vision, because racism does'nt exist.

"The participant's race is a cause of privilege or marginalization." If this statement is true, then we are describing a case that involves some kind of racism. 

To me, there is significant evidence that racism under this definition remains problematic in the United States. For example, take the public school system where I live. One school has an approximately equal number of white and non-white students. In spite of this, 75% of white students achieve proficient or higher on standardized tests, whereas 20% or fewer non-white students achieve proficiency. Further, this pattern has remained stable over many years of research, and other schools--public and private--have shown a similar racial gap. You can see similar racial gaps in terms of income, poverty, crime victimization, etc.

I would argue this widespread disparity has two effects. First, marginalization starting in childhood tends to perpetuate marginalization. Children born into high-threat environments--because of poverty or crime, for example--are much more likely to suffer from developmental delays that lead to a lifetime of struggling in school. This creates an attitude of helplessness, which leads to dropping out from school, which perpetuates the cycle of marginalization in obvious ways. This example demonstrates how networks of marginalization tend to compound and so become trenchant, generational problems. This is just one example. Actual networks of marginalization are considerably more complex.

Second, widespread marginalization within an easily identifiable racial group tends to reinforce racist attitudes. For example, imagine a classroom where the most problematic students are consistently minority students. We know it is going to be difficult for white teachers and students not to develop at least unconscious assumptions about racial minorities. People have a strong tendency towards the fundamental attribution error--we attribute bad behavior to people's "character" rather than to contextual issues, like socioeconomic marginalization.

When teachers encounter poorly behaving minority students, when police officers encounter disproportionately criminal minority communities, etc, that tends to cultivate racist attitudes. This in turn tends to encourage availability bias. Even if minorities do not cause problems disproportionately, once you have the idea in your head that they might, you are likely to call that image to mind (e.g. the "black drug dealer" is more available to some people's minds than the "white drug dealer," even though it is not statistically obvious that one is any more common than the other). This in turn cultivates confirmation bias: People are then more likely to notice minority problems and accept them as normal, as confirming racist beliefs, than to notice problems that do not confirm the racist beliefs.

All of this contributes to a situation where a lot of people are inclined to view racial and other forms of marginalization as normal or as "their responsibility" as a problem they supposedly created. This leads to inaction about the underlying causes of the gaps between minority and non-minority outcomes, which allows the problem to continue unaddressed. 

Edited by Chris-M

Well Racism was originally the belief that people of certain colours could be grouped together by specific abilities according to said colour. It is now more appropriate to say racism is believing that because of a race, a certain person is defined by that. 

I wouldn't label it a double slandered. I think it it's fair that a white person shouldn't say the N word for example.

It's bad. But don't start making things of history racist. An item can't be as it doesn't have a living breathing life force.

What is this definition, and whose is it? A dictionary's? Dictionaries get their authority from real-world usage.

The definition can indeed be found in a dictionary. This is a arbitrairy word for a certain concept. If you want to change something to the concept, you must find another word for it, or change the definition in the dictionairy.

I hope I'm using the right words here :P