so i really don't now what to say except for the fact that i'm having troubles sleeping of late...i'm being haunted by things from my past, but the dreams also involve people who have no idea what happened in my past.....i guess i kind of wouldlike to know if you guys have any suggestions to try and get rid of theses "nightmares" / memories

Hm. Can you write down what's worrying you before bed? 

I know for me, one thing that keeps me up at night is just worrying. If I take 15-20 minutes and just write EVERYTHING out and it's a little better. Also making sure you turn off your electronics a few hours before bed and maybe doing some stretches/yoga before tucking in. 

Nightmares are your brain processing things/ worrying about stuff from the past. You can't change it, but you can move on from it.

Like Marley suggested, write down all the stuff that bothers you before you go to bed. Writing it down also helps you process your emotions so you can focus on what you need--sleep.

I've found that when I can't sleep, I put something on relaxing, a certain kind of music or sound. I use things that smell good or familiar to calm me. I also pray, and pray alot.

In the middle of the night when my mind reels, I personally picture a load of black nothing, a warm black nothing,. like that feeling you get on a cold wintry night when you're sleepy and comfy in your bed, wrapped in a blanket. THAT kind of dark nothing. I try to evoke that feeling of sleepyness and comfort and it usually works.

I've also been known to count sheep. However, if you get to 1,074 like I often do, you might wanna try something else.

I've tried taking Magnesium supplements, and they are sort of calming for that. But, I've found praying to be more effective, actually. Maybe listening to some music that is calming to you (Preferably not ACDC or Joan Jet and The Blackhearts.) Also, some gentle stretching does wonders. Just, try to be in control of your thoughts. As difficult/impossible as that may sound, you do have the power to do that. YOU are in control of you. Not your thoughts. Think of something small, or inspirational, or both. I know what you're going through, and I'm praying for ya. ^.^   

Hey there!

I struggle with that sometimes too and I've found doing something to clear your mind before bed can help. For me I usually do a little pencil coloring in some special coloring books I got before I lay down, it helps me sleep better and not have nightmares. If you need someone to talk to my inbox is open as well. <3

Hi. Are you still facing this issue? I thought of replying as I have seen many people facing such a situation.I hope that I am not too late in providing you a solution. Just clear your mind before sleeping and do not engage your brain with any thoughts. Keep yourself relaxed. You can try to change the sleep environment of your room. If you want, you can buy a new mattress that will provide you a sound sleep. I was looking for a mattress from Palma Sleep for my wife and found this site that has a great collection of mattresses. You can sleep well on a good mattress. Also, have a regular sleep pattern. Leave fears and concerns behind as you go to sleep. I hope these tips work for you.