Sign in to follow this  
faith142

I'm new here and have a important question. so please answer!

Am I responsible for my family watching scary movies. Am I required to tell them it's wrong. Is it wrong anyway. It's a humor based one but has evil spirits.

Usually little kids shouldn't watch horror movies. Though if they are under r rated they should be fine

1 Thessalonians 5:22 " Abstain from all appearance of evil"

Psalm 101:3 " I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me"

Abstain means:

Google "restrain oneself from doing or enjoying something"

In a "Christian" point of view "Restrain from watching movies that has evil and tell your family about it, it's your duty as a Christian"

Welcome to C.T.F. faith142

Do not listen to Brioreos. There is absolutely nothing wrong with watching horror films as a Christian. Jennifer's Body is my personal favorite film, which is also why I have my avatar and sig combination from it.

Edited by Wesker

1 Thessalonians 5:22 " Abstain from all appearance of evil"

Psalm 101:3 " I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me"

Abstain means:

Google "restrain oneself from doing or enjoying something"

In a "Christian" point of view "Restrain from watching movies that has evil and tell your family about it, it's your duty as a Christian"

Welcome to C.T.F. faith142

Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.

As for me, I have watched a few horror movies, but I try to stay away from movies with curses and evil spirits and stuff, just because...it seems to prick my conscience. I don't think that you should order your family not to watch them, but if you know that it's wrong, you should probably warn them. That's my opinion.  

Take my advise as a 'reminder' when watching movies instead of completely disregarding what the bible has to say. Evil is not a good thing in my opinion and you'll know if the content is good or not as a Christian for you and your family.

Take my advise as a 'reminder' when watching movies instead of completely disregarding what the bible has to say. Evil is not a good thing in my opinion and you'll know if the content is good or not as a Christian for you and your family.

The problem I have with this is that you are proof-texting. You are pulling a line from the psalm out of context and then using it as a blanket rule to prove your point. I also emphatically reject this evangelical foolishness which seeks to remove itself from the real world and create its own little enclosed world which is basically the Disney Channel fantasy. A mature Christianity has the strength to bear the weight of a sinful world held under the shadow of death. It is pure foolishness to say that we should not watch Schindler's List because it contains depictions of evil. 

I personally don't, but I think it's difficult to come up with a hard and fast rule as to whether they're all absolutely ok, or all absolutely terrible. But, I do think the Bible gives us the framework to decide:

Proverbs 17:24 - "The discerning heart keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth."

Philippians 4:8 informs us we have to pursue what is:

- true

- honourable 

- just

- pure

- lovely

- commendable 

- excellent

- worthy of praise

So, I suppose for me, the question is whether this is a horror film where evil/gore/spirits/the supernatural etc. are glorified and ultimately triumph, or whether it's a horror film where evil is present, but it's a good-vs.-evil situation where, ultimately, good (and by extension, God) wins. Use the discernment God offers you to work it out, but remember that "everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial." (1 Corinthians 10:23)

It's for that reason I avoid horror films, because I don't think they're beneficial to me. 

Wesker, a life of Christian is not easy. We are not Atheists who thinks they are not bound to anything except the law of man, we follow God as well. If you want to watch a movie with evil as the theme so badly, go ahead but remember while watching we're doing all things for the "glory" of God and it's up to you on how you'll take this. We are sinners in a sinful world but "never" forget we still strive we walk the path Christ thought us. Our strength comes from our Lord not from our selves alone to bear, that is why we surrender our life him to guide us through out our life as our Shepherd.

It's not bad, but perhaps not wise depending on each person. Knowing myself, I stay away from horror movies because they freak me out. But it's not bad to watch them.

Am I responsible for my family watching scary movies. Am I required to tell them it's wrong. Is it wrong anyway. It's a humor based one but has evil spirits.

You are responsible for you. You are (I'm assuming) not the leader of the house. However, if you have younger siblings you ARE responsible for telling them that they may have nightmares.

You should watch what you put in your mind "Whatsoever is lovely, pure, true...think on these things."(Phil 4.8) In this case, it's not so much a matter of wrong outright. It's wrong if your conscience is telling you it is. Everyone's conscience is different, and what my prevail in your family may not be the same with you and vice versa. 

Are you not comfortable with the idea? Then don't watch it.

Wesker, a life of Christian is not easy. We are not Atheists who thinks they are not bound to anything except the law of man, we follow God as well. If you want to watch a movie with evil as the theme so badly, go ahead but remember while watching we're doing all things for the "glory" of God and it's up to you on how you'll take this. We are sinners in a sinful world but "never" forget we still strive we walk the path Christ thought us. Our strength comes from our Lord not from our selves alone to bear, that is why we surrender our life him to guide us through out our life as our Shepherd.

My qualm is not whether we should walk the path of Christ or not. As a Catholic, my answer is obviously that we should. The debate is over what constitutes that path. Do we try to create our own little bubble from the world? What is our engagement with the world? While I do think that films which are merely a violence fetish, such as the Saw Series, are best to stay away from, I do not think it is the Christian path to insulate oneself from the world. Christ's life is the perfect example of this. He did not shy away from what the Pharisees believed to be the darkness of the world. He entered into it. The Christian path is not to be naive, where we have to run away from every media which has fornication, adultery, violence, etc. It is to live within it, without letting it overtake you.

My qualm is not whether we should walk the path of Christ or not. As a Catholic, my answer is obviously that we should. The debate is over what constitutes that path. Do we try to create our own little bubble from the world? What is our engagement with the world? While I do think that films which are merely a violence fetish, such as the Saw Series, are best to stay away from, I do not think it is the Christian path to insulate oneself from the world. Christ's life is the perfect example of this. He did not shy away from what the Pharisees believed to be the darkness of the world. He entered into it. The Christian path is not to be naive, where we have to run away from every media which has fornication, adultery, violence, etc. It is to live within it, without letting it overtake you.

I understand what your trying to say and I'll respect your opinion. Well thanks for your insight Wesker as well as for everybody who shared their thoughts on the topic. 

I understand what your trying to say and I'll respect your opinion. Well thanks for your insight Wesker as well as for everybody who shared their thoughts on the topic. 

And I respect you being so mature about all this.